Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Incident report 9.15.21

Waiter ordered a bushwacker on the rocks for customer.

Drink was returned as incorrect.

I was informed that the customer wanted it frozen.

I made the drink and told waiter to add a $3.00 upcharge for frozen drink.

When presented with the bill, customer noticed the incidental charge.

Complained to waiter, wants the charge taken off.

I comply, waiter tells me customer wants to see a manager.

Presented bill to customer.

Stated "Here is the bill, I'm the manager and I took the 3 bucks off, because I don't want to argue."

This was met with immediate negative feedback.

I disengaged. I didn't think it would be a good idea to argue the point. Since I thought I had met the customer's needs by removing the charge they were disputing, I thought this was over.

As I walked away, one person in the group loudly mentioned how much of an rear end in a top hat I was.

I immediately turned around and said "Excuse me?"

It was then that the older gentleman in the group told me to walk away.

I thanked him and did not engage with this group again.

It was mentioned that the wording on the drink menu indicates that the bushwacker is a frozen drink. Hence I can understand the frustration at an upcharge in this instance.

I recommend that we eliminate the option to upcharge this item.

After this debacle, I decided I should walk out to the outdoor dining area and introduce myself as the busboy.

Like, I'm here to pick up your dirty dishes. Everyone believed it, at least for a moment.

Awkward silence as I continue to clear the tables.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Sounds like you deserved to get fired OP.

Sounds like you never been a boss.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

$3 charge for frozen, the gently caress, is that common?

You putting a full bag of ice in it?

Bitch you ever take a drink you made on the rocks and then have to adapt it to blender in a cup?

First thing, there's going to be too much ice.

Yeah, you have to dilute the drink to get it right.

I would be pissed off If I ordered a drink like that.

You know, like feeling like I was stupid.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This thread sucks

Yep.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Blenders are the bane of bartenders across the globe.

Twenty years ago, yes.

Now, not so much.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

jarofpiss posted:

what restaurant op

The one place you better behave, or else I will add charges to your drinks because you day drink and I can get away with it.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

I get that blending a drink makes it more of a pain in the rear end but what even is a non frozen bushwhacker

This was a bad choice you are correct. I should have said that to the customer.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Jelly posted:

Are you the manager?

The fact I have to ask this either means you suck balls at telling a story, or I'm stupid.

If you are the manager, you are horrible at your job.

Sorry to distract you from the simple function of having a meal not in your home.
Do I have to remind you to be civil and treat people better than you would if it were family.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Call Your Grandma posted:

i dunno if you deserved to get fired but you definitely deserve to stop posting op

Good luck filling my job, Mr. Robot .

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Jelly posted:

Are you the manager?

The fact I have to ask this either means you suck balls at telling a story, or I'm stupid.

If you are the manager, you are horrible at your job.

So, I should cave to the will of the masses that are unrealistic in their expectation of service today.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Wall Balls posted:

it sucks that those people made such a fuss and wanted to beat you up over 3 bucks and a style of drink from 1983, but you also post like a weirdo, so there's no way to tell who's in the wrong here

Oops, I appreciate that, it's true.
Guilty and too old too be in this business.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

I know, and that is why I'm still talking about this.

It bothers me because I think I might be wrong.

I hosed up, and I should know better.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Thanks, I guess.

And yes, I should have just changed the price in the system to reflect the frozen upcharge.

I could have avoided all this.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Pontificating rear end posted:

Well i actually read the OP because it wasn't a bunch of nerd-rear end paragraphs

I can barely tell why you got fired tbh (i thought u were the manager??) and you didnt do anything wrong considering how easily emotions can flare and, in the same situation, many people would have said something worse; including myself. Customers can be pieces of poo poo and it sucks treating each one as a delicate flower whose business you are eternally grateful for.

Thank you for this.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The world famous Something Awful Tavern, renowned for its frozen bushwhackers, surprise drink surcharges, and the guy who may or may not be your bartender/manager/busboy

You, sir are genius. So delicious is your comment I have to blush for a moment.
Nohomo.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Forensic observation 9.16.21

1730 9.15.21 Poster begins shift at what appears to be a gastropub.

1930 9.15.21 Poster has upset customers. Fails to defuse situation.

2200 9.15.21 Poster has exited the building and is heading in the direction of faster transportation.

2230 9.15.21 Poster has reached their domicile safely and has begun typing up weird poo poo on the internet.

Don't doxx me.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Spinz posted:

I wish that this was an alt of mine because I am damaged goods so that would be clever but I was never such a weirdo bad bartender.

Nice to meet you too.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

the holy poopacy posted:

Someone ordered a drink off the menu and sent it back because it wasn't made correctly, OP told the waiter to charge them an extra $3 fee for fixing his fuckup, then when the customer objected to paying extra to get their drink as ordered the OP told them they took the charge off the bill because they "didn't feel like arguing" rather than admit to the 2 mistakes they had made at this point.

Yep.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Spinz posted:

Actually I feel bad now and I was a weirdo.

I bartended for over a decade is this really a thing charging more for a blended drink? I mean they were a pain in the rear end but we never ever could charge 3 bucks for the hassle.

My specialty was muddled drinks so I was a glutton for punishment

Never muddle a drink unless it's a premium bourbon. I'll charge you 5 bucks for the effort.

You have my respect, though.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Bronze Fonz posted:

It's hard to sympathize with anyone here OP because those customers were rude and also you're an rear end in a top hat, but that's what working with customers will do to you. Also everything about bar culture and how passionate you talk about drinks just makes me wish the customer was harder on you.

Voting 3.

I agree, I didn't handle it as well as I could have. Learn something every day, right?

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Hey OP. Put down the bottle and come back when you’ve sobered up. Clearly this experience has driven you to the drink. Maybe you’ll be a better bartender if you weren’t pouring yourself one for every customer you serve. Mellow out dude. Hate is baggage or something. Just let it go.

Also stop putting lime wedges in my bourbon, you ape.

I don't drink on the job.
Hence my posting after work.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012
Didn't get fired, you can close this thread.
Told my boss about this shitshow the other night, she didn't care. Told me that I did the right thing.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Chinatown posted:

i miss knowing people in the restaurant industry.

they always got me good cocaine hookups

(i have 5'd the thread)

Thank you for stopping by, we appreciate you and hope to see you again soon.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Klyith posted:

Adding on fake charges can and will lead to people disputing with their CC company, potentially costing your employer a lot more than $5. Or arguing about it in the venue, and the customer is gonna win that fight because escalation will look really bad to other patrons. That's a really good reason for someone to fire you.

gently caress with rear end in a top hat customers by shorting their drinks with 1/2 shots, or serve everyone else before them, or whatever other passive-aggressive bartender poo poo you like. Do not gently caress with people's money.

Dude, it's not adding after the fact. It's pressing a button on the computer that adds a surcharge to the check.

I would never short pour unless the customer is drunk, and then I wouldn't charge them for a full shot. You don't exploit the weak in this job, not like that.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 18, 2021

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

gleebster posted:

So, there was no post, and the OP was not fired. Fine. The thread title is completely inaccurate. I can live with that.

But what the devil was the whole bussing routine about? Was that meant to express something? How you felt like not a bartender but a busser? Were you trying to hide? What was that about?

We are short staffed. That means I have to do more than one thing at my job.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Chinatown posted:

i miss knowing people in the restaurant industry.

they always got me good cocaine hookups

(i have 5'd the thread)

Teeth chattering from the memory of the massive rails I would snort off the bathroom counter, crushed up close with the lady bartender I barely knew.

I was the DJ assistant, and never worked here before.

Maybe this is why I work in bars, then and now.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Sophy Wackles posted:

The OP is just a deranged busser who was pretending to be the bartender while the actual bartender was out on break; hence OP not knowing how to make a drink and all the upcharge business. Apparently the manager is OK with this.

I remember when I was 20 years old and this was my story.

I was a teenage waiter, quit my job at the burger shack place as soon as I turned 16.

Always wished I was the bartender, it just seemed like the better job.

When I turned 18 I could deliver drinks to my customers.

21 I could make those drinks.

Now that I'm 50,

Same old poo poo.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Sep 18, 2021

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Lascivious Sloth posted:

AH yes, of course you learned nothing and now feel vindicated and that the customers are the assholes. Classic

Incorrect.

Yes, I make mistakes. I won't repeat this one again.

People's expectations often exceed my abilities to compensate.

I try to be copesetic and make it better.

If I fail, I try to incorporate this lesson, humbled and then grow from that experience.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 18, 2021

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

The post that didn't get me fired (because only goons frequenting a dead comedy forum read it)

True. That's why I'm telling you this story.

You don't know me.

It's better that way, more comfortable.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Tip posted:

I'm the manager and I let you keep your job because I don't want to argue.

Thanks, I appreciate the fact we are on the same page.

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

gleebster posted:

So, there was no post, and the OP was not fired. Fine. The thread title is completely inaccurate. I can live with that.

But what the devil was the whole bussing routine about? Was that meant to express something? How you felt like not a bartender but a busser? Were you trying to hide? What was that about?

Yes, you are correct. I went out to buss the table that dissed me. It was awkward, hence the whole "I'm the busser" routine.

I was attempting to save face in a most obtuse way.

Hey, gently caress it, it's all I had at the moment.

I wanted to distract from the mistake I made.

You know, joking around with 20 people that just heard you being cussed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamagedGoods
Jan 17, 2012

Spinz posted:

I'm not able to follow this thread, not really

It's cool,

What if I told you about the wedding I worked today and tonight and only sold 16 drinks in a 9 hour time period?

My cut from the tip jar was 4 dollars.

Stories from a bartender after summer is over.

DamagedGoods fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Sep 18, 2021