Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

How many frames per second does life run at?

If I close a cabinet door, does life stop rendering my ramen packets and heinz baked bin cans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Armitag3 posted:

If I close a cabinet door, does life stop rendering my ramen packets and heinz baked bin cans?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

two hundred

and nineteen

:smugmrgw:

matti
Mar 31, 2019

depends if your cabinet is a 3d model or made of csg. and even then you can not assume there is not a leak

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

matti posted:

depends if your cabinet is a 3d model or made of csg. and even then you can not assume there is not a leak

I've checked and my cabinet has all 3 dimensions hth!!!

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

effectively about 6497725795971410000000000000000000000000000 fps op.

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

I thought you were talking about the other kind of FPS of life. American highschool.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Armitag3 posted:

when you close your eyes, everything stops rendering :tviv:

Khorne
May 1, 2002
life uses nextgen tech, everything runs at its own independent fps/tps and there are some communication tricks employed to make it all appear seamlessly integrated

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
one quarter mile at a time

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Armitag3 posted:

Sometimes I think about how strange it is that everything in the world experiences time at the same time, if that makes sense. Like I'm here living my life, doing things, I have about 30 years of memories. In that same 30 year time, some abandoned cabin in the woods has slowly aged, nothing has changed inside of it save for some bugs crawling around. Every second of my life and that abandoned cabin's life ticked by at exactly the same rate.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I wonder how you got to that number Dr nvidia

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

ultravoices posted:

when you close your eyes, everything stops rendering :tviv:

I started getting anxious about how much of an inconvenience it is for the rest of existence everytime I go to sleep or blink

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

ADINSX posted:

Sometimes I think about how strange it is that everything in the world experiences time at the same time, if that makes sense. Like I'm here living my life, doing things, I have about 30 years of memories. In that same 30 year time, some abandoned cabin in the woods has slowly aged, nothing has changed inside of it save for some bugs crawling around. Every second of my life and that abandoned cabin's life ticked by at exactly the same rate.

We've established the cabin's not there

maybe it's proc gened

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Armitag3 posted:

I wonder how you got to that number Dr nvidia

based on the time it takes light to travel one planck unit of distance, which as far as i understand would be the smallest measure of time that could even theoretically be measured (with the universe effectively discrete to planck distances). but im no physicist and that may for all i know be total nonsense.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ADINSX posted:

Every second of my life and that abandoned cabin's life ticked by at exactly the same rate.

if you want to get nitpicky you could argue this is false. gravity, and by extension time, is not consistent everywhere on earth because of density variations, elevation, and not to mention the moon's gravity. also you moving around while the cabin sits stationary will affect it too. but yeah the differences are imperceptible.

a clock at sea level and a clock at the top of mount everest would eventually drift apart about 40 minutes but it would take the age of the planet for it to happen.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 16, 2021

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
life doesn’t have frames, op. it’s frameless

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

The Management posted:

life doesn’t have frames, op. it’s frameless

It's all just one big frame?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i usually get about 4 fps (farts per poo poo) but you may differ

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

polyester concept posted:

if you want to get nitpicky you could argue this is false. gravity, and by extension time, is not consistent everywhere on earth because of density variations, elevation, and not to mention the moon's gravity. also you moving around while the cabin sits stationary will affect it too. but yeah the differences are imperceptible.

a clock at sea level and a clock at the top of mount everest would eventually drift apart about 40 minutes but it would take the age of the planet for it to happen.

I didn’t want to get nitpicky

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

ADINSX posted:

I didn’t want to get nitpicky

But here we are

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

When I was a kid in the mid 90s I carved my name under some outdoor seating during some boring field day thing. The structure is still standing and that name is still there, unless it’s despawned due to too many nearby sprites

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
a man today took acid and directly experienced the north bridge

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

you can just say you dropped acid

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
thought this thread was about living in america - the first person shooter of life

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

echinopsis posted:

You licked the thermal paste of reality and your pupils grew to the size of saucers

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

based on the time it takes light to travel one planck unit of distance, which as far as i understand would be the smallest measure of time that could even theoretically be measured (with the universe effectively discrete to planck distances). but im no physicist and that may for all i know be total nonsense.

I agree with this. The Planck time is the equivalent of the universal refresh rate and the Planck length is the universe's resolution.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Can we get an actual engineer to verify this? no offense

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Armitag3 posted:

you mean post authoritatively about a subject they don't really have relevant expertise in? i think yospos has that handled

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Armitag3 posted:

I disagree with treating a limitation of theory as physically descriptive. It ignores that the planck length is only a proposed limit in measurable length when merging existing theories that are known to be incomplete and don't get along well to begin with.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
real life actually has super lovely & janky fps but our brains are affected too and drop frames in sync with the world so we don't notice

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
life is ray traced op, your heinz can is only loaded when a ray gets close enough to intersect the boundary box

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

suffix posted:

life is ray traced op, your heinz can is only loaded when a ray gets close enough to intersect the boundary box

What ray? Light rays?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Ray Charles

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
its impossible for the human eye to perceive more than 24fps

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Sagebrush posted:

I agree with this. The Planck time is the equivalent of the universal refresh rate and the Planck length is the universe's resolution.

One planck time is 5.39 * 10^−44 seconds.

So one frame per plank time is 1.85 * 10^43 fps, which is:
Cybernetic Vermin's guess was

which is only off by a factor of less than 3

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

WilWheaton posted:

its impossible for the human eye to perceive more than 24fps
There was a Serious Science experiment where they tested if the "time slows down when you're mortally terrified" effect people report resulted in perceiving an effectively higher FPS with your visual system

I believe they had people skydiving or long bungee jumping for the first time look at some sort of tablet device and crank the FPS as high as they could perceive a difference

The results were about the same as on the ground

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
real life has speed blur so it can have a low fps without perceivable lag

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the wackest thing to me is that your nervous system (including your cognition) has a fairly significant processing delay, tens of milliseconds or longer, so you can never actually be aware of the present

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i'm glad life can get such good fps despite rtx being force enabled at all times