Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

tiberion02 posted:

The struggle itself is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine every poster ITT, happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
i love all of you. there's no other place i'd rather spend the end of everything.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

dfw posted:

Past the flannel plains and blacktop graphs and skylines of canted rust, and past the tobacco-brown river overhung with weeping trees and coins of sunlight through them on the water downriver, to the place beyond the windbreak, where untilled fields simmer shrilly in the A.M. heat: shattercane, lambsquarter, cutgrass, saw brier, nutgrass, jimson-weed, wild mint, dandelion, foxtail, spinecabbage, goldenrod, creeping Charlie, butterprint, nightshade, ragweed, wild oat, vetch, butcher grass, invaginate volunteer beans, all heads nodding in a soft morning breeze like a mother’s hand on your check. An arrow of starlings fired from the windbreak’s thatch. The glitter of dew that stays where it is and steams all day. A Sunflower, four more one bowed, and horses in the distance standing rigid as toys. All nodding. Electric sounds of insects at their business. Ale-colored sunshine and pale sky and whorls of cirrus so high they cast no shadow. Insects all business all the time. Quartz and chert and schist and chondrite iron scabs in granite. Very old land. Look around you. The horizon trembling, shapeless. We are all of us brothers.”

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

mawarannahr posted:

I’ve seen snow most years of my life and some of it was kinda heavy

sounds like things arent that bad yet

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

splifyphus posted:

i love all of you. there's no other place i'd rather spend the end of everything.

posting is nice but i'd trade you all to go live in hawaii or something

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Shima Honnou posted:

sounds like things arent that bad yet

ok, I just got a message from my mom and she says she’s never seen it like this. its time

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Finally.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Just got a text that it's time so I'm reporting to the thread

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Let's loving go

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Could this be? The fabled Go Time?!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Oh is civilisation collapsing? Got dammit I haven't finished binging babylon 5

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
about time

BigWeirdSashimi
Jul 10, 2019
There was supposed to be more time... all the time in the world!

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Oh is civilisation collapsing? Got dammit I haven't finished binging babylon 5

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1GF4Gnb-D0

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

USA is hurting itself and the world in its confusion

https://www.ft.com/content/6b8e7b33-34d6-411c-91ed-a3ef4f9a0ff8 posted:

US solar power boom is at risk of stalling just as the country needs a surge in clean energy projects to meet its goals to strip carbon from electricity supplies.

Strong demand from utilities, corporate buyers and some states is colliding with cost inflation and supply congestion, weighing on an industry that has been poised for another record year of growth in 2022.

The government’s independent energy forecaster this month published a rosy outlook for the sector, predicting the US would add 21.5 gigawatts of large, “utility-scale” solar generating capacity this year, nearly half the nation’s total and more than last year’s record 15.5GW.

But some forecasters have been slashing their outlooks and warning of project delays and potential cancellations.

Wood Mackenzie, a consultancy, recently cut its growth forecast for utility-scale projects in 2022 by a third. It now expects total installations, which also include rooftop and smaller-scale projects, will be less than last year.

“There are two realities for the solar industry right now,” said Xiaojing Sun, head of solar at Wood Mackenzie. “The demand for a clean energy product like solar is extremely strong . . . but the other reality is the situation on the ground, given Covid, the complex supply chain situation as well as some of the geopolitical factors.”

“It really feels like the industry is stuck,” Sun said.

Investors will receive new insight into US solar development on Tuesday when NextEra Energy, which owns a top US clean energy developer, reports financial results. The group in November said its wholesale power business had signed contracts for 4.3GW of new solar in 2021 and 2022.

The threatened solar slowdown comes just as the Biden administration is pushing to dramatically expand the technology to meet ambitious goals of making the power grid carbon-free by 2035. A Department of Energy report last year said solar could account for 40 per cent of the nation’s electricity supply by then, up from just about 3 per cent now.

The impasse over US President Joe Biden’s flagship clean energy and social spending bill has damped expectations for the industry’s future growth. But more immediate obstacles stand in the way this year — including created by Biden administration policies, industry executives say.

The US government last June ordered a halt to imports of polysilicon, a raw material for solar panels, from China-based Hoshine Silicon Industry to put pressure on Beijing over the alleged internment of more than 1m Uyghurs and Muslim minorities in Xinjiang province.

The order has ensnared far more shipments than expected. Some international suppliers outside of China have struggled to navigate the complicated new rules for proving their product is free of Xinjiang-linked polysilicon.

Tom Buttgenbach, chief executive of Los Angeles-based 8minute Solar Energy, which develops large-scale projects in California and other states, said his company had shipments from Malaysia and Vietnam detained at the border.

“None of us wants to buy a product that is manufactured with forced labour,”
Buttgenbach said. But the solar industry had been “singled out” for using silicon that is widely used in other sectors such as smartphones and computer chips, and there was a lack of clarity around the rules, he added.

Column chart of Annual installations by type, gigawatts showing US solar growth may stall

US solar industry leaders are also looking with trepidation to February, when the Biden administration will have to decide whether or not to extend tariffs on solar panels and modules from China. The so-called Section 201 tariffs were initially put in place by the Trump administration in 2018 as the nations’ trade war flared.

Analysts say the decision has pitted the US economic competition with China against the Biden administration’s climate policy, as tariffs that hit a Chinese growth industry also threatens to impede clean energy development in the US.

“We don’t know yet how their climate policy and their trade policy are going to line up with each other,” said Abigail Ross Hopper, president of the Solar Energy Industries Association.

Analysts at ClearView Energy Partners, a Washington-based energy consultancy, said in a note last week they expected the administration to extend the tariffs as Biden tries to promote domestic clean energy manufacturing.

The prospect of extended tariffs comes at the US economy contends with broad inflationary pressure. Rising prices have reversed more than a decade of steady declines in costs for solar photovoltaic technology.

Inflation in the US solar energy industry is likely to surpass 10 per cent this year because of surging prices for commodity inputs such as steel, copper and aluminium, along with elevated shipping rates, said Bruno Brunetti, a global power analyst at S&P Global Platts.

“It has been very surprising, and very unsettling” for the industry after years of declining costs, Brunetti said, adding that the industry “already works with fairly thin margins”.

The US Energy Information Administration said in its latest forecast that solar capacity continued to grow in 2021 despite tariff and supply chain problems. State-level mandates, along with a 26 per cent investment tax credit for solar projects that start in 2022, will continue to support growth, the EIA said. Texas leads states with the most planned solar additions in 2022, with California second, EIA said.

Buttgenbach also sounded a note of optimism.

“Even the last person hiding under a rock has figured out that clean energy is coming,” he said.

a person under a rock sounds like they’d fit in here tbh

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

:razz:

https://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status/1486007550071947267

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm sorry but what exactly is this?

And what has it got to do with anything

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Axolotl.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

climate death is so kawaii

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

And what has it got to do with anything

That's an Axlotl, a salamander with cellular immortality, what it has to do with this I have no loving clue.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Climate change is going to kill the last few Axolotl in the wild, I think that’s it.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Rime posted:

what it has to do with this I have no loving clue.

The axolotl is also unhappy with its prospective extinction.

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
You might say that Highlander 2 The Quickening was a documentary. It features a shield that protects the earth after pollution has destroyed parts of the atmosphere.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

climate death is so kawaii

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here’s the Istanbul airport

https://twitter.com/firatfstk/status/1485932386114277377?s=21

angry passengers!

e: god drat they called in a batallion of cops

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Jan 25, 2022

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

we must protect these cellophane wrapped sandwiches and malcolm gladwell books

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

I KNOW THE PLANET ISN'T HAPPY RIGHT NOW BUT WE'RE WORKING ON FIXING IT OKAY

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
INCREDIBLE

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

wow

another message on the LIE into midtown tunnel, next to ads for CW and Fox News shows

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

ted hitler hunter posted:

You might say that Highlander 2 The Quickening was a documentary. It features a shield that protects the earth after pollution has destroyed parts of the atmosphere.

the wrong highlander won in the first movie, we wouldn't have been doomed under the kurgan

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
Ocean microplastic pollution may be greater than estimated

*shrug* probably

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
ah well, nevertheless

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

"The conclusions show that the levels of microplastics in the Mediterranean are probably higher than estimated, but the methods used are not capable of recording them."

whew! that was a close one! it's all about what you focus on. either the ocean's half empty or half full of microplastics, right?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

it'll be cool in 20 years when we learn eating fish causes cancer

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
What a cool follow. Rad that tech bros are going to be ramming down "win-win" scenarios and dangerous solutions while stacking endless vc cash.

https://twitter.com/ProjectDrawdown/status/1486013244078706692?t=0ZxsnFINh6PkF4AJPnPl6g&s=19

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

finally, a solution!

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Basic Poster posted:

What a cool follow. Rad that tech bros are going to be ramming down "win-win" scenarios and dangerous solutions while stacking endless vc cash.

https://twitter.com/ProjectDrawdown/status/1486013244078706692?t=0ZxsnFINh6PkF4AJPnPl6g&s=19

lol i've got one :getin:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
:fuckoff:
https://twitter.com/thebadstats/status/1486103450446303234?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z22Ju7u2K1s