Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

loving council dumped glyphosate on my native lilies!!!

what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Cloks posted:

coming up on what scientists call a big ol' whoopsie-doodle in the future

The world made progress recently? :confused:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

ELTON JOHN posted:

hearing reports that there are also fake plastic trees

a city in Ireland removed a bunch of mature trees from public spaces and then spent €350k on 5 robot trees to improve air quality

quote:

Dr Dean Venables of University College Cork’s Centre for Research into Atmospheric Chemistry commended the council for being the first in Ireland to introduce an air-quality strategy. But he said the city trees element is “a costly and ineffectual gimmick”.

While the units may clean the air in their immediate vicinity, he said they would have no discernible impact on overall air quality in the city and Ireland’s core strategy to improve air quality should remain the reduction of emissions.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/cork-council-defends-350-000-spend-on-air-purifying-robotic-trees-1.4645747

Enfys has issued a correction as of 09:34 on Oct 29, 2021

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Shifty Nipples posted:

I have tried to find a blanket like blankets used to be, cotton blanket with that strip of polyester or whatever at the top and I swear they don't exist anymore or something.

i gave up on finding non-handmade blankets that weren't mostly some kind of polyester, but now I can't even find one that doesn't make my teeth itch to touch

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Homeless Friend posted:

Plastic is made out of oil right? Why don't we just...

"Plastic production, meanwhile, is projected to double within 20 years."

What is even left that isn't plastic at this point?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

quote:

The survey also shows that many scientists are struggling with grief and anxiety. Paola Arias, a climate scientist at Colombia’s University of Antioquia, told Nature that the climate crisis made her decide not to have children.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Gravid Topiary posted:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/03/americas/bolivia-heatwave-highlands-intl/index.html

cocaine trees roasting on the Bolivian plateaus -- surely this will motivate the 1% to fight climate change.

Watched the first season of Into the Night this week, so that's cool

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

tuyop posted:

Just finished that Slime Mold Time Mold blog so far. what a pro-click

please ruin it for me if they’re somehow totally wrong and crazy

Yeah I read through that three other week and haven't been able to stop thinking about it

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

I won't blame normal people for not wanting to drink deep from the ocean of human misery.

But well, if you're reading this thread then.

Looked up to see if there's new news on Madagascar.

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/thecurrent...ocate-1.6237015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SyehvY7uYxs

I am sure the huge spike in global food prices won't help them either.

i try to stay sane while accepting reality, and even though i've rationally known stuff like this is happening and just going to continue to worsen and is essentially a glimpse at my own future, this really messed me up

people who have contributed almost nothing to climate change are starving to death because their climate is irrevocably wrecked, and it's not going to get better for them, things won't improve and they're just hosed, the end, you can't just relocate an entire country because it's becoming a wasteland

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Complications posted:

In response to monoculture crops being overall awful for long term viability of agriculture, capital is responding by blaming herbicides and building high tech laser robots to help monoculture farming.

Calling purslane a weed sums it up really

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Samuel Glompers posted:

Nice to see the waking nightmare I live in reflected in some mainstream media. I am actually losing my mind, every day, from the vicious contrast between the horrible truth and the total inaction around me. The increasing doom is almost a comfort now, since if that really is true I can simply relax, eat the treats the horrible treat machine makes, hold my loved ones, and weep quietly.

But it doesn't *really* resolve anything, because the suffering of millions now and billions later will not stop being wrong, and the reduction in deaths and suffering will remain possible even as the world burns, and my heart and mind will still scream in a tone so piercing that even the most potent weed can't plug my ears as it says "This is wrong, this is wrong, this is the worst and most disgusting crime our failed species has EVER DONE, TO ALL LIFE ON EARTH! IT IS A GENOCIDE OF ALL LIVING THINGS, IT IS WRONG, IT IS WRONG, IT IS WRONG"

The dichotomy between my comfort and even enjoyment of the day to day and all that is happening now and all that will happen

All that will happen

It is certain

So certain I am losing my mind.

ah you did a good job putting words to the howl

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

tiberion02 posted:

Can I just ask how much goons ITT have been following the day-to-day at COP26? Couple of my co-workers have started to realize the tone is a lot darker then they remember, to my gleeful silence

e: thanks, the US politicians portions are impossible to ignore, their absurdism breaks thru

Aside from everything else brought up, the whole event is such a logistical poo poo show it feels intentional. A thread with links:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexandriaV2005/status/1455706006428663809

My favourite after discussing all the access issues and activists being kicked out or excluded:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlexandriaV2005/status/1455706039769186310

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

It's been so mild that that all the bulbs planted in early October that are supposed to overwinter are starting to pop up now.

It's November and not only have I not switched on the heating yet but I have the windows wide open.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

People are dying from climate change already and the big conference about climate change might be able to mention fossil fuel this year.

We're making progress :thumbsup:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

When that happens, do they die when a cold snap hits later, or will they try again during true spring?

Some will probably die outright, some will probably fail to establish from stress and then die, some will go dormant and be ok, some will be weakened and more likely to succumb to pests etc in spring, depends on the plant.

Warm temperatures + low daylight is not a combination most plants have to deal with for an extended period. Decreasing daylight generally puts plants into dormancy before the cold can damage them, and things planted in autumn to overwinter are planted to help their roots establish before the active growing season, not so they can grow during winter.

Low soil temperatures are not too troubling for a winter hardy dormant plant, but it's so warm here that it's raising the soil temperature enough for things to come out of dormancy. However because daylight hours are still decreasing, the night stretch is long enough to drop ground temperatures long enough to stress new growth. During spring cold snaps daylight hours are at least increasing and ground temperature will in general be rising, so they're easier to recover from.

Uneven rainfall (huge downpours followed by dry periods like I'm getting) makes this even more stressful on plants because they aren't growing actively enough or getting enough daylight to really need a lot of water but new growth does need sufficient, consistent water. When it rains hard on dry ground it drowns the surface, and the surface soil isn't getting enough daylight hours to really dry out, so new plants spend the night mucked in cold wet ground.

Some plants can tolerate this better than others, though most plants can't tolerate "all seasons, all climates, whenever"

My garlic should be ok unless it grows too heartily and then gets a bunch of snow dumped on long stalks or a really severe freeze. My onions are toast - between the warm weather and the rain, they'll rot well before spring.

Unfortunately a lot of what's popping up is native plants planted for a local 'Bulbs for Bees' project, and I don't have high hopes for them as they aren't established and aren't really able to go into and out of dormancy all winter in the way that something like garlic is. If this were March or even late February, it would probably be ok, but mid November? Uneven rainfall, early summer temps, decreasing daylight? Eh :shrug:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

a lot of people are increasingly hosed up and don't know how to probe the spiky ball of screaming existential terror gradually consuming their subconscious

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

the talk of nuclear power saving us just reminded me of an essay i read about how when things start really going to poo poo, there won't be people or resources to maintain the existing nuclear power plants and if they aren't safely decommissioned by then pretty much all life on earth is dead

lol i'm having a good friday night

love going to work and pretending things are normal

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

There will come soft rains and the smell of the ground,
And swallows circling with their shimmering sound;
And frogs in the pools singing at night,
And wild-plum trees in tremulous white;
Robins will wear their feathery fire,
Whistling their whims on a low fence-wire;
And not one will know of the war, not one
Will care at last when it is done.
Not one would mind, neither bird nor tree,
If mankind perished utterly;
And Spring herself, when she woke at dawn
Would scarcely know that we were gone.

Just replace war with climate change. Or maybe don't, since we will probably get climate change wars.

except climate change also destroys the birds and trees

and seasonable weather patterns like Spring herself

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I end up with tomatoes growing everywhere in my garden because my chickens love eating tomatoes as treats during summer, then I use their poop as compost. Somehow the composting process doesn't kill all the seeds so I end up with random poop tomatoes too.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Sacrifice some virgins to wake up the volcano gods

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

dammit flossing is one of the few good habits i have

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

i know it's all doom and floods and famine etc but

this seems so canadian :3:

american sites that block EU access are just like ACCESS FORBIDDEN gently caress YOU COMMIE

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Hubbert posted:

hey guys

so i wake up and drink tea every morning, right?

i decided to go look into this

gently caress

I can't floss my teeth or wear contacts to see or drink water or breathe without plastics getting in my brain

And now I can't even enjoy a cup of tea, the only thing that makes life in this stupid plastic hell world tolerable, without thinking about the hot plastic stew I'm ingesting

Yeah sure loose tea leaves blah blah but I can't gently caress around with tea leaves at my stupid job I keep doing so I can pay bills so I can keep living in this stupid world ingesting more plastic

Enfys has issued a correction as of 02:21 on Nov 27, 2021

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

I mean I leaned years ago I can't huck my used tea bags straight into the compost because the bags don't decompose oh god damnit

Every time I think I've accepted things some tiny detail that isn't any worse than anything else comes along and just destroys me

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

T-Paine posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/25/uk-water-firms-spilled-sewage-into-sea-bathing-waters-5517-times-in-past-year

Oi Keith, these foraged cockles taste a bit shite to ye? Fookin can't eat this it tastes your lass's fanny

Paying fines is way cheaper than the capital expenditure of upgrading treatment plants

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

Nobel-winning stock market theory used to help save coral reefs

A Nobel prize-winning economic theory used by investors is showing early signs of helping save threatened coral reefs, scientists say.

Researchers at Australia’s University of Queensland used modern portfolio theory (MPT), a mathematical framework developed by the economist Harry Markowitz in the 1950s to help risk-averse investors maximise returns, to identify the 50 reefs or coral sanctuaries around the world that are most likely to survive the climate crisis and be able to repopulate other reefs, if other threats are absent.

The study recommends targeting investment in conservation projects that have the “strongest potential to succeed” in protecting priority reefs. The gains go beyond positive ecological outcomes and include crucial social, economic, health and nutritional benefits for communities, according to partners, organisations and funders interviewed by Blue Earth Consultants.

What "early signs of helping save coral reefs"?

All they've done is identify 50 reefs they think are slightly less susceptible to rising water temps. There aren't "early signs" of this triage model doing poo poo to actually help anything.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

an egg posted:

attn: shifty nipples, the native lilies (in my yard, safe from council) have a pollinator

Delighted the council couldn't kill everything despite their best efforts :swoon:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Lordshmee posted:

Realistically there’s only another 1 to 1.5bn years before the sun brightens to the point where it cooks off all the water on this rock.

We'll show that loving star and turn it to acid first

gently caress you, sun, you're not our real dad

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

i have and use so many spices

i buy in bulk from an asian market but imagine like most modern production it comes from the same small handful of sources

all that cadmium and arsenic and lead can fight with the plastics i guess

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Xaris posted:

anyways oceans are filled with a bunch of gloomy murky slimy seamonsters. kill it all. we have factory chicken n steak we can eat instead.

https://i.imgur.com/KyEXaK2.mp4

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Rime posted:

It's equal parts more depressing and infuriating than the actual poo poo which is going down, in some ways, knowing that the bulk of society will piss and moan about the imminent lack of tendies and weed - right up until the day they're unceremoniously dumped in a mass grave.

https://mobile.twitter.com/TODAYshow/status/1466425702543151107

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/Elicaldwell/status/1469534122423070721

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

SKULL.GIF posted:

Sometimes I pause to think about how practically every American "carpet" is plastic nowadays

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aDNPhq5ggoE

I remember seeing this years ago and wondering if there really was so much plastic in the furniture, fixtures and fittings of my place. Surely I'm not living in and surrounded by plastic at all times?

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Repeating over and over again that dumping tires across 100 miles of ocean was done "with the best of intentions" isn't going to make it true

I wonder how many years before all the hermit crabs in that area died off in the death traps dumped on them

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/photojmatthew/status/1477003247458078725

The intact snowman Christmas decorations are very surreal

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Growing mushrooms is great. If you have the ability to set up a camera to record their growth over like a day or so, I'd recommend it because it's incredible to watch.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

There was at least some initial attention on the climate change aspect of the fire.

https://mobile.twitter.com/samuelbrasch/status/1476967021866893315

The difficulty is that most fires are started by people being dumb rather than malicious, it's hard to get everyone to stop being dumb, and climate change exacerbates the conditions where fires quickly get out of control so entire cities are going to keep burning.

quote:

One recent study examined all home-threatening wildfires in the U.S. between 1992 and 2015. It found people started 97 percent of those blazes through things like debris burning, cigarettes, fireworks — and even mower blades hitting rocks and sparking fires.

Balch, who helped write the study, said the results show why it’s essential to focus on ignition sources near homes. If people could learn to change their behavior, they could prevent some of the most dangerous wildfires from threatening Colorado communities.

“We need Smokey the Bear for the suburbs,” she said. “We need to better understand how our daily activities carry the risk of ignitions.”

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/5NewsAustralia/status/1479785779203219457

There were unusually heavy snowfalls in an area of Pakistan that a lot of people take daytrips to so people flocked there to look at the snow but got trapped in the roads.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

Basic Poster posted:

To each their own and there isn't a right or we ng answer.

Ive struggled for a good while to try and understand why I have a will to see this thing through. I'm 42, no kids, one divorce and we don't talk, single. I don't have much debt except for a house and am pretty comfortable. Work from home, just get to garden and hike and raise animals and mouse jiggle. I should just peace out and leave everything to my nephews and wish them luck.

I'm still not sure why I just don't go licking door handles or worse. But something has me feeling I should ride it out. Something something very rare and interesting moment in history. That and then f I can get things sturdy enough, maybe it can provide some refuge to good people while and after I'm gone.

It's ok to want to live

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

https://mobile.twitter.com/AFP/status/1480547478495801349