Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

:ok:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i made sure to separate the different types of plastics in the recycle bin. just doing my part!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

waking up to a significant rainfall warning that's part of the wettest system of 2021.

good morning climate!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

is there a good place to see historical precipitation trends over the last 100 years? caveat: looking for :canada: numbers

i gave it a quick glance, couldn't find any charts, only 1 for alberta/sask and that ended at 2000

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it's a good video for people who watch that channel's videos to see, but the end of the message is still funny - "vote", "we need politicians to change laws and massively invest in innovation".

It still ends with saying that You need to do your part.

It's also sponsored by Bil Gates

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the video screams of

quote:

the idea of anti-capitalism no longer acts as the antithesis to capitalism. Instead, it is deployed as a means for reinforcing capitalism. This is done through media which aims to provide a safe means of consuming anti-capitalist ideas without actually challenging the system.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Rectal Death Adept posted:

so "The World's Largest" carbon capture plant that opened manages to capture 3 seconds of yearly output in 1 year

Meaning we need roughly ...10,483,200 of them to become carbon neutral

if you ignore the cost of building them or the large amounts of energy required in them to superheat the air and sequester the carbon

Maybe if the world has cut emissions in half by 2050 we can double the effectiveness of the technology and only need 2,620,000 of them to become carbon neutral

if we ignore the cost of building them or the large amounts of energy required in them

Then we can work on dealing with the amount of climate change we have already guaranteed

lol we're all gonna die 🤣

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

the way to deal with all of this is to chop wood, carry water, lol, lmao

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Sharkie posted:

Yeah I mean even BP is doing something. They've committed to

https://www.bp.com/en/global/corporate/what-we-do/gas-and-low-carbon-energy.html

Which is far, far more than the doomers who think that there's no way to meaningfully address climate change have done. If you think there's no way for our current system to mitigate the worst effects of climate change, then congrats, you're playing right into the hands of the people most responsible for it. Could bp be doing more? Sure. But they could also be doing a lot less. So you can either support these efforts or just throw your hands in the air and give up.

The next few years will be crucial. Now is the time to get to work.

i popped over to d&d's climate thread and laughed at that post. pretty deranged to be lauding BP as "doing something good"

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Mr.Tophat posted:

I have a modest proposal

Bomb the ocean

they tried to in the 60s, they nuked it even, and it did nothing!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

quote:

“The ‘Grain Train’ is going to happen,” Brazil’s infrastructure minister, Tarcísio de Freitas, told the hundreds of mostly male spectators who had flocked there in a caravan of high-end SUVs.

Mauro Mendes, the rightwing governor of Mato Grosso state, where the railroad would start, derided the meddlesome leftists supposedly trying to torpedo the plan, including the US senator Bernie Sanders, the Mexican actor Gael García Bernal and Greece’s former finance minister Yanis Varoufakis.

“Are we really going to lose to these guys? No! We’ll win this war – and we’ll fight with all the weapons necessary,” Mendes told the summit in Sinop, remembering how Native American communities were devastated by the construction of the US transcontinental railroad in the 19th century.

“We will build the Ferrogrão without killing a single Indian!” Mendes proclaimed to loud applause.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

yea, they won't kill them, their mercenaries will.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

go gently caress yourself Alex!

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

Once you take the Plasticpill you never go back

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/12/health/plastic-chemical-early-death-wellness/index.html

We are collectively poisoning ourselves to insane degrees because of mass addiction to fossil fuels.

Reading Death by rubber duck was what pinged me back in the day. It covers all of the above and more - the example around what happened with T-fal was an extremely angering one.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

90% of the ocean dying in 25 years is truly amazing

i wonder which 10% of marine life will be left

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

simping for oil is lucrative

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/ClareHymer/status/1452948034220867595

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

so, it's not that bad yet then

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

that's the past

the present is bigger and wetter

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

A plastics factory went up in flames in the UK
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-humber-59405481

https://i.imgur.com/kCejMrR.mp4

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i propose we simply vote the climate crisis away

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I honestly had trouble following who did and didn't want one (because I am very stupid), so for the sake of my sanity just quote this post if you want a sixer with a bdelloid rotifer as the image

i wonder what my body will look like in 24000 years

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

i drink coffee for the taste, not the caffeine (and yes, my body is addicted to the caffeine)

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I went to a small dinner hangout recently with a couple of people and one of them talked about how they've just read Uninhabitable Earth and it was fun to finally meet someone in the real world that was crack pinging

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

yeah, super mystifying what changed around 2007 that had anything to do with methane

…oh, says here methane is often referred to as ‘natural gas,’ I wonder,

thanks obama

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

that was definitely a combo rcmp/o&g operation

20 people (very strong people!), just vanish into thin air, no recordings?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

how is this "breaking"? it's been known for years

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZo2mbbCmKQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

it’s the microplastics and pollution most likely