Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
If you show up to the same activity week after week, you will make friends, or at least social connections. My two current weekly hobbies are sewing class on Monday and volunteering at the cat shelter on Saturday.

And if any of your old friends are in the area, hit them up! This girl who was my friend in 9th grade sent me a message on facebook asking me if I wanted to hang out when we hadn't seen each other in like 15 years, and we rekindled out friendship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Have children, they have to be your friend.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Stabby McDamage posted:

I didn't intend it going in, but I've been online dating for a while, and now a lot of friends of mine are people I dated where we got along but a romantic relationship wasn't the right fit.

When I host a poker game, it's like 50% women I've dated. :unsmith:

Also yeah, this has been a common theme in my adult life. Just be open to whatever feels right

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Stop focusing on friends and start focusing on loving.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

Go to the gym at the same time every day and workout. Ask the people who you see that are also there everyday about whatever exercise they happen to be doing and they will talk your goddamn ear off

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Find a local gaming store and find a D&D game, he said, while currently playing D&D with his group

It’s fun and gets me out of the house and is the highlight of my week

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

rotinaj posted:

Find a local gaming store and find a D&D game, he said, while currently playing D&D with his group

It’s fun and gets me out of the house and is the highlight of my week

post your character sheet

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Edgar posted:

You can always do a goon meet... It's how I went to a hockey game with Derpies

you guys do any tuggin?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

post your character sheet

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Stop focusing on friends and start focusing on loving.

this

you should also choose a fetish to make an integral part of your personality and then join fetlife

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

OP: Find a local glory hole.
Dunno, if you'll make friends, but you never know.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
OP have you considered getting an anime dakimakura, taking it everywhere with you, and introducing it to people as your girlfriend?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Start drinking alone. Like, a lot, and all the time, and preferably in a dark basement while you do nothing but play MMOs. Then, when you can't pull up out of your crippling drinking problem by yourself any more, you can go to AA meetings! That's the kind of place where you walk in the front door and everyone is your friend. No matter where in the world you go, you have a whole friend network set up.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hell yeah, punch the poo poo outta things wit your meaty dwarven fists

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

BigHead posted:

Start drinking alone. Like, a lot, and all the time, and preferably in a dark basement while you do nothing but play MMOs. Then, when you can't pull up out of your crippling drinking problem by yourself any more, you can go to AA meetings! That's the kind of place where you walk in the front door and everyone is your friend. No matter where in the world you go, you have a whole friend network set up.

I do love cigarettes and burnt black coffee.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hell yeah, punch the poo poo outta things wit your meaty dwarven fists

Hell yeah, brother/sister

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Reminder that it's better and more important to have two or three good friends than it is to have 15 to 20 loose acquaintances.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Meme Poker Party posted:

OP have you considered getting an anime dakimakura, taking it everywhere with you, and introducing it to people as your girlfriend?

Fuckin hell, you lizard people ARE the superior race!

OP DO THIS.
Its the sure way to combat loneliness.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.
Another problem is my friends are still very much into drugs and im at an age where i just wanna have a few brews and chill :(

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Op have you tried kratom
Kratom users often have kratom meetups called kratom-kons and you can meet many like-minded kratom-loving individuals to do kratom with

Smugworth fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 17, 2021

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I adopt dogs that are high maintenance. That way if coworkers or anyone else asks if I’m free I can say “nope gotta lance the dog that night”

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

runnypoops posted:

Another problem is my friends are still very much into drugs and im at an age where i just wanna have a few brews and chill :(

drugs kick rear end, your friends are right and you're wrong.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Oh wait. You want new friends? poo poo, I got nuthin

RepeatingMeme
Dec 27, 2012

this place is not a place of honor

no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here

nothing valued is here

what is here was dangerous and repulsive to us

this place is best shunned and left uninhabited

so is that a yes or no on the pokemon cards.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?
About 6 years ago I got into a fight with my ex-boyfriend, I went to the bar across the street to cool off and asked a guy sitting alone if I could bum a light, he said sure and started up a conversation, said his friends were coming soon and I should stick around and hang out with them.

Well, all of those guys are my closest friends in the entire world, one of them is my bestest friend that I text with almost daily and pretty much see every week. Oh, and I've been married to another one of them for over two years.

So what I am saying is start smoking, it makes you look cool.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 17, 2021

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

I like pokemon cards and did massive amounts of drugs in my 20s and dont seem to enjoy it no mo
I like to jerk off tho is there like a running club put for masturbation? A tugging club if you will

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

Wtf a monk cant be neutral good loving PHONY

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
All I am going to say is being in your 30s, looking for social contacts, you better drat well be prepared and open-minded to wives (not just girlfriends) and kids being involved in the equation. I mean you can shoot the poo poo about Marvel and Call of Duty and the like but their (key word "their") schedule is based around their family.

I made friends in my 30s at work and family contacts and, yeah, be prepared and be willing to learn a lot about family life more-so than what Blizzard is releasing this year.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

runnypoops posted:

Wtf a monk cant be neutral good loving PHONY

You can when you’re a drunk and it’s 5E

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Edgar posted:

You can always do a goon meet... It's how I went to a hockey game with Derpies

I'd rather die alone than that.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I have never had friends so I have no advice

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i just hang at the bar

MSPain
Jul 14, 2006
OP I think your username might be a hint as to why you are having a hard time making friends. Maybe change up your diet?

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

It's really hard OP. The strat here is you need to find a superconnector - someone who knows a lot of other people, even/especially if its someone you don't have a lot in common with or don't necessarily gel really well. If they can find you, they can find your pals. Once you know that person just go to every party they throw, have genuine conversations with people, make plans with them waaaay in advance and don't reneg on them, find a periodic ritual for hanging out and you're golden, that's friends baby. It's hard but not impossible if you don't self-sabotage because of your fear of rejection/self-hatred.

To find the superconnector, yeah, hobbies, as well as friends-of-friends, coworkers, special interest groups, or even random cultural events.

chaosbreather fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 17, 2021

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I've only really made new friends in my 30s 1) on the beach 2) @ AA and 3) at my Ayahuasca cult. And that's like 3 people. I also have close to no friends.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Linux Pirate posted:

Reminder that it's better and more important to have two or three good friends than it is to have 15 to 20 loose acquaintances.

Why not both

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

kntfkr posted:

I've only really made new friends in my 30s 1) on the beach 2) @ AA and 3) at my Ayahuasca cult. And that's like 3 people. I also have close to no friends.

I’m sure your tiny chinese wife loves you, and that’s a really important friend ime

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Brother Tadger posted:

I’m sure your tiny chinese wife loves you, and that’s a really important friend ime

gently caress yeah she sometimes does. I was bitching about having few friends and she told me I was stupid and to focus on making money and that friends come naturally if there's a dollar in your pocket.

OP, here's a song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbcThup3lgA

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I've been struggling with that for a long time now. I have almost no friends. I moved to Seattle and lost all of the friends back home, made new ones out there mostly through work, and then moved back and all of my previous friends were gone.

I've tried Meetup.com but the groups are always a ways away from me.

fuckin start a group binch!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

verbal enema posted:

i just hang at the bar

Says noted drunk poster.