Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Doug Pederson has a ring as both player and coach but I guess is no longer relevant to this discussion :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
If you want to keep with the historical side of it, a number of long time coaches had been depth-type players in their careers: Tony Dungy, Marty Schottenheimer, Dan Reeves, Jeff Fisher, Don Shula and Chuck Noll all played before basically immediately joining staffs as assistant coaches and working their way up.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Sean Payton was a scab during the 1987 strike and played QB for the Bears

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

DariusLikewise posted:

Sean Payton was a scab during the 1987 strike and played QB for the Bears

Lol how the union didn't have him banned from the nfl? Useless

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Asproigerosis posted:

Lol how the union didn't have him banned from the nfl? Useless

Listen, if there’s one guy whose players have demonstrated that money is no incentive

I dunno, I’m trying for a tortured Bountygate reference, work with me here

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Green Bay has had two former players that were head coaches; Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg. A combined 12 years with one season over .500, two if you count the strike year in 1982.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

widefault posted:

Green Bay has had two former players that were head coaches; Bart Starr and Forrest Gregg. A combined 12 years with one season over .500, two if you count the strike year in 1982.

Gregg was also the Bengals coach when they went to their first Super Bowl and did okay there but bailed for the Packers when Starr was fired.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

the miami dolphins are poo poo from a butt and will never be good

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
Browns won. Offense looked okay, defense still looked very questionable. I'm really worried about Landry getting hurt, he's the unsung star of the this offense.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.
Rough game. Lotta injuries.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Zach Wilson had a nightmarishly bad day.

Patriots offensive line really struggled today, backup RT got benched, 3rd string RT got injured, and they just had tons of trouble pass blocking. Front seven also didn't impress, especially in run D, but the secondary feasted on some ugly / unfortunate Wilson passes and they were able to unimpressively score 26 points and throttle the Jets from doing anything.

Mac looked solid, not quite as good as last week against the Dolphins, but I'm extremely happy to have had those 2 games from him to start his career.

Ugly Tony
May 6, 2005

It's not even Tuesday, dog
Raiders :)

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Panthers looked good all around :)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

the miami dolphins are poo poo from a butt and will never be good

The onesie is cursed.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Yo the Broncos look dope as hell

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Niners had a really slow start, but the D and ST bailed them out, and eventually they took care of business. Not a dominant pair of games, but I can’t complain too hard about being 2–0.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Jets need to bench Wilson and teach him some basic poo poo like "throw it hard when you're aiming near the sideline" and "throw it gently to a RB wide open in the flat". Also replace their OC.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/BlitzVideos/status/1439677282185097221

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kalli posted:

Zach Wilson had a nightmarishly bad day.

and yet he still had a better passer rating than Jameis Winston lmao

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
35-0 is hilarious and Sean McDermott really loving hates Brian Flores.
Also…are the Raiders…good?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Rams need to be more consistent on offense. Feels like they are either going to score in 4 plays or go 3 and out immediately. That drive coming out of the half was probably their best of the season so far.

On defense it’s pretty much the same at last year with the whole bend but don’t break thing. The blown coverages are new and they need to be better finishing on sacks and tackles in the backfield. I’m hoping Morris can bring it all together like Staley did last year.

Special teams loving lmao

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

The Browns won.

Yay.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The Eagles at least didn’t embarrass themselves. Apart from the terrible 4th down trick play, but…whatever.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

First place in the North Browns :toot: Never in doubt

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

fartknocker posted:

The onesie is cursed.

I went back downstairs and she was no longer in it. My wife said she spit up all over it lol

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, any one of five or six mistakes doesn't happen and the Bengals are alone at the top of the AFC:N.

There's a bunch of places you could point to where the game was lost but the recurring issue that drives me the most crazy is how Bengals defenders always seem to slip off runners on game defining third downs. Hendrickson needs to tackle Fields on third and 9. Burrow is absolutely going to get injured again if they don't figure something out. Defense is better than expected and hopefully will be good by the time Trae Waynes comes back (if he ever does).

At least the Steelers are dinged up ad the offense isn't playing well for them. Once Cinci gets past the Steelers they get a break from real nasty D lines for a few weeks. I never saw Hilton come back in but the game seemed light on injuries at least.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
steelers offense is a boring nightmare of a mess to watch and in one week half of the starters on defense are now all of a sudden hurt. week 2 bloodbath

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Miami has zero excuses for that offensive line. They genuinely went into the season thinking “hey Jesse Davis, that’s a starter! Ignore his entire career thus far!”

I mean I appreciate we swing for fixes - Isiah Wilson, Fluker , etc but it’s just mind numbingly clear Miami is putting 5 guys out there that simply are nowhere near the caliber that opponents are.

Watching Allen have 5 seconds to stare down his receiver was amazing. I’ve never seen such blocking. Flores and Grier have a lot of explaining to do.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Roasted Donut posted:

steelers offense is a boring nightmare of a mess to watch and in one week half of the starters on defense are now all of a sudden hurt. week 2 bloodbath

I feel like the week 2 bloodbath was pretty common this week.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Tomlin saying Raiders player spit 1st :shrug:

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Perhaps a retaliation spit where you need to run a couple yards up to a guy and visibly spit in his face isn’t the smartest thing to do

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
lol jets

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

jets reddit is dark right now

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

rjmccall posted:

Niners had a really slow start, but the D and ST bailed them out, and eventually they took care of business. Not a dominant pair of games, but I can’t complain too hard about being 2–0.

Yeah, I'll take it. Winning a tough, physical, close game on the road this early in the season is a really good sign. And no more starters went on IR !

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

FizFashizzle posted:

when has jets reddit ever been bright

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

FizFashizzle posted:

It’s bad enough Wilson played like a dumpster full of week-old diapers, but then Darnold goes and has a pretty good game…
I can understand why. They haven’t looked competitive in the slightest.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Lance of Llanwyln posted:

It’s bad enough Wilson played like a dumpster full of week-old diapers, but then Darnold goes and has a pretty good game…
I can understand why. They haven’t looked competitive in the slightest.

The Jets are just a cursed franchise that drives everything they bring in down. I think they need to stop trying with rookie QBs and just draft other talent then use free agent QBs until they're a strong team and then try to develop some rookie after they're good.

Jacksonville is another team like this.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Give Saleh one more game and then can him

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

DariusLikewise posted:

Perhaps a retaliation spit where you need to run a couple yards up to a guy and visibly spit in his face isn’t the smartest thing to do

Yeah Tomlin of all people should know the retaliator is the one who gets flagged, That fact has won them so many games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
Raiders being 2-0 against 2 playoff teams to start the season isn't something I really expected but I'll take it.

It's nice seeing Carr haters have to eat poo poo. Dude is working behind a patchwork O-line and has somehow made things work so far.