Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoner Sloth

hi friends... or as we say down under, g'day mates!

in this thread i'm going to introduce BYOB to the weird and wonderful world of australian slang, expressions and idioms

there's a twist though, just for fun not all of these will be real, it's up to you to guess which ones are the real, true blue australianisms!

e: per manifistos excellent suggestion after the first one, a new twist! I'll give you the expression and y'all get to guess what it means!

Stoner Sloth fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Sep 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoner Sloth

our first one is an old favourite

'going off like a frog in a sock' - this means to be excited or for something to be wild, like how one can be said to be 'bouncing off the walls' or 'having ants in ones pants'. it can be used like 'yeah, he was going off like a frog in a sock last night' for someone who was full of undirected energy and maybe slightly unstable or it can be used as a signifying wildness in a good way 'this party is going off like a frog in a sock mate'

Manifisto

sounds as real as a dingo's gizzard to me

Stoner Sloth

ok here's one to guess friends

'to take a squiz'

nut

:blush:

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

ok here's one to guess friends

'to take a squiz'

aw I know this one

great expression tho

ty nesamdoom!

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

sounds biological, am i close

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Use a spencil

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

i bet takin' a squiz is when you do a "number two"

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
like tying a 'wazzer to a coospizer, guv

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
the tadspooler's gone all sorts of barmy, blimey!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stoner Sloth

to 'take a squiz' is to have a close look at something, 'give us a squiz' means give me a look at that!

i'll be back with more weird australian language tomozz (tomorrow)

Lock

does squiz come from an aussization of squint?

Stoner Sloth

Lock posted:

does squiz come from an aussization of squint?

probably! was thinking about that earlier and that's what makes sense to me lol

Stoner Sloth

*true australia fact* harold holt was our prime minister (think president but no one takes it that seriously mate) from 1966-1967, until he 'mysteriously' disappeared while swimming at cheviot beach. wild speculation reigned free - did he drown? get eaten by the local fauna? kidnapped by the japanese/soviets in a miniature submarine?

anyway he is mourned to this day in the form of the harold holt memorial swimming pool

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Stoner Sloth posted:

*true australia fact* harold holt was our prime minister (think president but no one takes it that seriously mate) from 1966-1967, until he 'mysteriously' disappeared while swimming at cheviot beach. wild speculation reigned free - did he drown? get eaten by the local fauna? kidnapped by the japanese/soviets in a miniature submarine?

anyway he is mourned to this day in the form of the harold holt memorial swimming pool

This is the most Australian poo poo I've ever heard lmao

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I want to swim in the Harold Holt memorial swimming pool but I legitimately cannot swim in fresh water so I too shall drown like Harold Holt, allowing him to return to this plane of existence.

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

I want to swim in the Harold Holt memorial swimming pool but I legitimately cannot swim in fresh water so I too shall drown like Harold Holt, allowing him to return to this plane of existence.

please do not return harold holt to this plane of existence friend, his views are frankly outdated... oh uh im recieving word that he'd find a place with the bloody Nats if he can ever dislodge the fetid turd that is barnaby joyce *true australian fact*

Heather Papps

hello friend

finally i've been dying to ask this for years.

what the gently caress is a fair dinkum. am i a fair dinkum, or should i get mad? please help my family has been in crisis for so long.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Stoner Sloth

Heather Papps posted:

finally i've been dying to ask this for years.

what the gently caress is a fair dinkum. am i a fair dinkum, or should i get mad? please help my family has been in crisis for so long.

too bloody right mate! i blame the clowns in canberra!

'fair dinkum' means something is legit, honest to god, real, 'dinky di', true blue, fair suck of the sauce bottle mate

it's also used kinda ironically to some extent because it's a bit outdated but in a beloved way

Stoner Sloth

also it can sorta overlap with the term 'fair go' in some cases but there is important differences too

Ass-penny

Do y'all say "taking the piss" like Brits or nah?

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Stoner Sloth

rear end-penny posted:

Do y'all say "taking the piss" like Brits or nah?

nah, yeah - we say that

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

nah, yeah - we say that

nah, yeah; yeah, nah

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Nah yeah means yes
Yeah nah means no
Nah yeah nah means oh gently caress no

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
One of the best things about having lived in the UK, Australia and the US is that the various slangs and phrases overlap in comical ways. For example, "BOGOF" in Australia is the same as "BOGO" in the US (but better because it describes what it actually means, where the US version really just describes an ordinary transaction). But in some areas of the UK, "bog off" is essentially a variant of "piss off", so it's fun to see it on shop signs.

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

Stoner Sloth posted:

nah, yeah - we say that

taking the piss has always bothered me. what's it short for :confused:

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs
by the way op, I've always thought of u as being cute as a June bug and knee high 2 a grasshopper

Manifisto

is it true that "no wuckers" is short for "no wucking furries"? cause if so that's pretty funny

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

In Australia it is illegal to wuck furries; a shameful crime, punishable by Sydney rent and your bogan cousin Donny is your roommate for the next five years.

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

I’ve watched a lot of Kath and Kim and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be ace at this

Do y’all really say ‘budgie smuggler’ for speedo? And call those little crackers with a thing of peanut butter and plastic spreader thing ‘dippity bics’?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

It turns out that I will believe almost anything is Australian slang

Stoner Sloth

Areola Grande posted:

taking the piss has always bothered me. what's it short for :confused:

short answer is that we don't really know

longer is that it's short for 'taking the piss out of someone' - it's parallel seemingly to the cockney slang 'taking the mickey' (short for mickey bliss) but aussies seem to prefer obvious crudity possibly? either way there are various theories about its origins - one is that the old urine trade used to be a big thing, ships would often carry piss instead of water for ballast because it could be sold - supposedly sailors would say that someone who was lying about their cargo was 'taking the piss'

we don't really know though lol

Stoner Sloth

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I’ve watched a lot of Kath and Kim and I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be ace at this

Do y’all really say ‘budgie smuggler’ for speedo? And call those little crackers with a thing of peanut butter and plastic spreader thing ‘dippity bics’?

we honestly do say 'budgie smuggler' unironically

dippity bix i think mostly became famous with Kath and Kim and tbh i've never heard anyone say it but it may be more of an eastern states thing - a lot of slang is regional and given australians mostly live clumped together in cities on the coast there is big geographical distances even if we can mostly understand each other

Stoner Sloth

okay got a few terms for today

1. bodgie
2. carrying on like a pork chop
3. to get the rough end of the pineapple
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

tell me whether you think any of these are real and what you think they might mean!

Barking Gecko

Mahoro says, "Naughty things are bad."
5. Real
I've usually heard this one used in the negative: Don't come the raw prawn with me!
Don't try to deceive me.

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
why do australians love philosophy so much? they refernce kant in nearly every sentence. 'oi, kant' this and 'oi, kant' that. read another book, guys!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lock

empty whippet box posted:

why do australians love philosophy so much? they refernce kant in nearly every sentence. 'oi, kant' this and 'oi, kant' that. read another book, guys!

:rimshot:

Manifisto

Stoner Sloth posted:

okay got a few terms for today

1. bodgie
2. carrying on like a pork chop
3. to get the rough end of the pineapple
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

tell me whether you think any of these are real and what you think they might mean!

these are all fake imo

number 3 especially, all the ends of the pineapple are rough

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
pinneapples are smooth in every direction

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!