Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adeadcrab

Objectifying women is cool and normal
I’m finally going to ace a test

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Stoner Sloth posted:

okay got a few terms for today

1. bodgie
2. carrying on like a pork chop
3. to get the rough end of the pineapple
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

tell me whether you think any of these are real and what you think they might mean!

I can absolutely hear an Australian saying all of those so I’m gonna say they are all real?

1. Something you smuggle in your speedo, obviously . I could see it also being like ‘dodgy’ or suspect-not up to snuff.

2. I have no idea. Maybe being lazy? Layin around like a fatty piece of meat?

3. Getting the shaft. Having a bad time. Getting the rough end of the stick

4. I dunno. Drunk? Tired?

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Lock

hardcore sound gets you hypah

is #4 the strayan version of on the dole?

https://giant.gfycat.com/ThoseAcrobaticCapybara.webm
so much love to vanisher for the winter '21 sig!

huge love to Tiny Myers for the fall '21 sig!

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

Stoner Sloth posted:

1. bodgie
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

tell me whether you think any of these are real and what you think they might mean!

1. budgie smuggler being a speedo, i'm assuming a bodgie is a messed up dick
2. fake, idk why, just doesn't vibe right
3. this is when you get hosed over. a raw deal
4. a wild night of drinking
5. no idea what this would mean but it feels real, maybe it's showing up unprepared

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Stoner Sloth

ill give it a couple more hours for folks who want to guess to take part and then i'll reveal the answers

Lock

or maybe on the wallaby -> on the wagon. But I’ma stick with my first guess b/c that seems fair

Prof. Crocodile

Stoner Sloth posted:

1. bodgie
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

1. fake - way too close to ‘budgie’. people would get confused. chaos would reign.
2. real - making a pig of oneself, overeat.
3. real - things going from bad to worse.
4. real - being positioned on top of a wallaby, perhaps for the purpose of riding it.
5. fake - the world is not a beautiful enough place for such a delightful saying to be real.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I would be cheating if I participated, I have an insidue maun (my good brother lives in NSW).

Stoner Sloth

Mormon Nailer posted:

I would be cheating if I participated, I have an insidue maun (my good brother lives in NSW).

you and any other australianese speaking goons are welcome to pm suggestions (real or fake) or to post your own itt so as to get to join in the fun!

Jaguars!

As a Kiwi, I've never heard 2 or 4, but 2 sounds plausible. Couldn't guess what it would mean though, other than, well, carrying on a bit much.

cruft

I want to finally learn the real truth about dropbears. They sound terrifying!

cruft

1. bodgie
4. on the wallaby
5. to come the raw prawn

Okay

1. A botched job. "When Tim wired the car battery to the remote control, it was a real bodgie".
2. Fake
3. Get a raw deal, the short shrift, to get screwed. "Leah and Ella were supposed to split the proceeds, but Ella got the rough end of the pineapple"
4. I don't know enough about wallaby behavior to speculate on this one :(
5. Uhhh, do a bad job? "It was a nice barbie last week but Bill's salad came the raw prawn."

Stoner Sloth

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I can absolutely hear an Australian saying all of those so I’m gonna say they are all real?

correct. amazingly all these terms are real:

1. bodgie - originally derived from the now obsolete british term 'bodger' meaning 'to work clumsily'. the australian term means something that is 'fake, false or worthless'. an example would be a bodgie knockoff brand fridge that you bought and isn't good or a fake receipt for something would be 'bodgie'

2. carrying on like a pork chop - when one rants, makes a fuss, complains or otherwise is loudly foolish and make yourself the center of attention. some believe this stems from the spluttering noise a pork chop makes when being friend but it probably draws from an older expression 'like a pork chop in a synagogue' which meant something unpopular. ex: davo is a good bloke but bloody hell does he carry on like a pork chop when he's drunk!

tbh i still remember the first time i heard this unironically between two people arguing and it made me laugh

3. to get the rough end of the pineapple - as several of you correctly guessed this just means to get the raw end of a deal or recieve unfair treatment, to get shafted. ex: 2013 Sydney Morning Herald 23 October: We welcomed the byelection so we could send you the message: we don't support a government that is giving us the rough end of the pineapple.

4. on the wallaby - to be 'on the wallaby' is to have gone bush, to be travelling off the beaten track especially looking for seasonal work. it can also be used more generally to mean 'on the move'. this stems from 'on the wallaby track' which initially just referred to following the bush tracks worn by the animals. it's not especially common as an expression these days but still does the rounds. ex: shazza (sharon) went off 'on the wallaby' looking for work picking fruit up north

Barking Gecko posted:

5. Real
I've usually heard this one used in the negative: Don't come the raw prawn with me!
Don't try to deceive me.

this basically covers it - 'don't come the raw prawn with me' is the most common form it and it basically just means 'don't try to pull one over on me'/'don't try to bullshit me'

thanks for playing along friends, i will bring you more possible idioms and questionably true australian facts soon!

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Here's a similar game while you wait - is this part of a real jingle from an Australian TV advertisement, or something I made up just now?

Paint supplies, paint supplies, for factory surplus batches,
you'll pay less at paint supplies for cans with dents and scratches.
Paints for this and paints for that, for town and country too!
One call on the dog-and-bone, it's on the road to you!

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

nut posted:

spend ur life thinking that the met gala is australian slang for starting a relationship

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

roomforthetuna

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Also, this might be my favorite ad from my time in Adelaide, except for the one infomercial for a juicer at 2 in the morning that had a guy with huge eyebrows growling about how DEATH DEATH DEATH is what most food is made of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jj-B3cwXllQ

Stoner Sloth

empty whippet box posted:

why do australians love philosophy so much? they refernce kant in nearly every sentence. 'oi, kant' this and 'oi, kant' that. read another book, guys!

lol

nut posted:

spend ur life thinking that the met gala is australian slang for starting a relationship

also lol

and love your work roomforthetuna!

cruft

This thread is really good so far. Enjoying it a lot.

Ass-penny

cruft posted:

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Lock

cruft posted:

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Stoner Sloth posted:

correct. amazingly all these terms are real:

1. bodgie - originally derived from the now obsolete british term 'bodger' meaning 'to work clumsily'. the australian term means something that is 'fake, false or worthless'. an example would be a bodgie knockoff brand fridge that you bought and isn't good or a fake receipt for something would be 'bodgie'

As a pommie I can chip in on 1, we still use "bodged" and "bodge job" for workmanship which is done without using correct processes or tools. Taping a plastic bag over a smashed car window (instead of just getting the glass replaced) is a classic bodge job.

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy
bodges are a thing p much everywhere that speaks english, i guess .au just ads the -ie cause they're cute

----------------

Stoner Sloth

NumptyScrub posted:

As a pommie I can chip in on 1, we still use "bodged" and "bodge job" for workmanship which is done without using correct processes or tools. Taping a plastic bag over a smashed car window (instead of just getting the glass replaced) is a classic bodge job.

thanks for the contribution! that doesn't surprise me really because those forms of it survive here alongside 'bodgied' and 'bodgie job' or just the general use of 'bodgie'

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy

pnac attack posted:

bodges are a thing p much everywhere that speaks english, i guess .au just ads the -ie cause they're cute

ive never heard this ever in my whole life in the good ol US of A

----------------

pnac attack

by Fluffdaddy

empty whippet box posted:

ive never heard this ever in my whole life in the good ol US of A

as a perpetrator of such acts i hear it semi-regularly

----------------

Stoner Sloth

pnac attack posted:

makes sense - we seem to like adding vowels to the ends of stuff, most prolifically when shortening words and ending with 'o' or 'ie'

examples of the former are ambo (ambulance/paramedic), muso (musicians) bottlo (drive thru bottle shop) and smoko (smoke/snack break)

the latter includes sparkies (electricians), tinnies (can mean a tin boat/dinghy or a 'tin' can of beer depending on context), mozzies (mosquitoes) and aussie (you can probably guess this one)

alternatively a y replaces the ie in words like footy (AFL) or chrissy (Christmas)

more rarely some words are commonly used with any of these variants - rello, rellie, relly are all commonly used terms for relatives, flanno or flannie for flannalette shirts and commo or commie for communists

i think it's mostly a way to sound informal

Lock

pnac attack posted:

as a perpetrator of such acts i hear it semi-regularly

ive heard ‘botched’ but not ‘bodged,’ but then everything in murica is regional

alnilam

Prof. Crocodile posted:

4. real - being positioned on top of a wallaby, perhaps for the purpose of riding it.

lmao

ty manifisto

alnilam

I once had a sort of long distance relationship (rellie?) with a top strayan shiela so I've heard a few but there's so so much i haven't heard, I'm loving this thread

alnilam

:pwn:

ty manifisto

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Stoner Sloth posted:

makes sense - we seem to like adding vowels to the ends of stuff, most prolifically when shortening words and ending with 'o' or 'ie'

examples of the former are ambo (ambulance/paramedic), muso (musicians) bottlo (drive thru bottle shop) and smoko (smoke/snack break)

the latter includes sparkies (electricians), tinnies (can mean a tin boat/dinghy or a 'tin' can of beer depending on context), mozzies (mosquitoes) and aussie (you can probably guess this one)

alternatively a y replaces the ie in words like footy (AFL) or chrissy (Christmas)

more rarely some words are commonly used with any of these variants - rello, rellie, relly are all commonly used terms for relatives, flanno or flannie for flannalette shirts and commo or commie for communists

i think it's mostly a way to sound informal
i guess if i spent my entire life being chased by venemous marsupials i would try to shorten words wherever posso (possible)

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I've read trashed crew, this checks out

roomforthetuna

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

i guess if i spent my entire life being chased by venemous marsupials i would try to shorten words wherever posso (possible)
Except short words, which you would need to longo.

Stoner Sloth

Areola Grande posted:

by the way op, I've always thought of u as being cute as a June bug and knee high 2 a grasshopper

:3:

cruft posted:

I want to finally learn the real truth about dropbears. They sound terrifying!

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySAN77ZR6Bc

Areola Grande

it's a free country u pervs

truly a continent of trolls :troll::hf::troll:

spring sigs by nesamdoom and Ravenous Scoot

Manifisto

lolol

ty nesamdoom!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

"Caught the bozzie from a wogger down in Adelaide an now my britches are knackered" is maybe my favorite thing I've ever heard sometime say aloud.

True or false?

Lock

Mormon Nailer posted:

"Caught the bozzie from a wogger down in Adelaide an now my britches are knackered" is maybe my favorite thing I've ever heard sometime say aloud.

True or false?

I wanna say false if only because the two words I recognize from that would not go together...which is why it’s probably true.

but imma go false

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Mormon Nailer posted:

True or false?

This obviously means ‘I contracted gonnorhea from a prostitute in the city of Adelaide, and my underwear has been ruined by the foul discharge’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

empty whippet box

by Fluffdaddy
bozz my neg-hole, mate

----------------