Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jay Rust posted:

Remember Microsoft owns blizzard now, act 6 requires an Xbox subscription

also requires you not to be a creep making women crawl on the ground but ,you know, tiny steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Born in Bexhill
Apr 9, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

also requires you not to be a creep making women crawl on the ground but ,you know, tiny steps.

That was just mocap for the new mobs in act 6

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Buller posted:

Putting ral ort tal into a 3 socketed shield only to afterwards see it was somehow blue with no effects...

This is a good rune word to learn that lesson with.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

there's no way I'm getting a 4s white shield in normal right?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

hawowanlawow posted:

there's no way I'm getting a 4s white shield in normal right?

Correct, for non-paladin. Monarch only drops in Hell, I believe, and even then finding it with four open sockets has to be quite rare.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah obviously I want spirit, but I'm learning that "starter" and "early game" do not mean what I thought they meant

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
there are definitely other items that are useful backstops for Spirit for when you're not at all in a position yet to ever score or even equip a 4os Monarch, but since they're things like Lidless Wall that you cannot count on getting, it sort of falls by the wayside since the only real advice is "farm until you get something nice"

life_source
May 11, 2008

i got tired of looking at your edgy baby avatar that a 14-year old would be proud of
Spirit is such a weird runeword because it's a very good midgame and still good lategame but you can get it super early for weapon and only late and expensively (str req) for shield. I have no proof but I want to believe it was designed without 1handed weapons in mind but the designers forgot about Crystal Swords and the other 2.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

You're going to want to find a White Monarch in Hell cows and then you'll be guaranteed 4 open sockets via Larzuk.

In my 350 hours of playing time for D2R, I've found 3 white monarchs and 1 with 4OS.

Larzuk and hell cows are your friends here.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"
Just use rhyme until you get something better or the spirit shield. Shael + eth in any 2os.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Audax posted:

Just use rhyme until you get something better or the spirit shield. Shael + eth in any 2os.

I would if I were anything but summon Necro. I'll just stick with my head in a jar with +skeletons for now. If I ever start actually getting frozen or taking damage at all maybe I'll get rhyme

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Audax posted:

This. You can build Spirit in a weapon and use it for a long time before being able to weild a Spirit shield, if you're not a Paladin.

Build it in a Bone Shield/Grim Shield if you care about maxblock, or in anything that looks cool if you don't.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

WalletBeef posted:

You're going to want to find a White Monarch in Hell cows and then you'll be guaranteed 4 open sockets via Larzuk.

In my 350 hours of playing time for D2R, I've found 3 white monarchs and 1 with 4OS.

Larzuk and hell cows are your friends here.
No need towait until you've murdered baal. Just pick one up in the pit or any other lv85 area in act 1. There are tons now.

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

hawowanlawow posted:

I would if I were anything but summon Necro. I'll just stick with my head in a jar with +skeletons for now. If I ever start actually getting frozen or taking damage at all maybe I'll get rhyme

Just a heads up, but Rhyme also works in necro heads. If you find one with summon skills it's great. I just threw this into a random one and used it!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Pretty clutch way to get lower resist!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Sand Monster posted:

Are the caster recipes (and possibly the amulet more than others) why perfect amethysts have exponentially more value in the trading market when compared to other perfect gems?

Also if you want to make a godly amulet, the input amulet needs to be ilvl90. The dream is a caster amulet that gives +2 to all skills (or +3 to cold/lightning skills) and 20FCR. The 20FCR is particularly hard to get since the guaranteed FCR is a range that varies between 1 and 10. So if the stars align, you can get a caster amulet that rolls arch-angels amulet of the apprentice, and roll +10FCR +some kind of resistance and/or life. So at the end of the day you get things that look like this:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

Are the caster recipes (and possibly the amulet more than others) why perfect amethysts have exponentially more value in the trading market when compared to other perfect gems?
The other reason amethysts are the most valuable pgem is that they're used in the cube recipe for socketing weapons. People trying to get that 4os Eth Thresher for Infinity etc are burning through amethysts.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
The 2.4 patch is live in the PTR.

Some quick screenshots.

Character screen.

The runewords character. There's also a character with base items. Nothing too spectacular btw.

Rune stash.

Gems and keys.

The characters meant to actually be played are blank 85 characters with some skillers and class items on the stash.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Also if you want to make a godly amulet, the input amulet needs to be ilvl90. The dream is a caster amulet that gives +2 to all skills (or +3 to cold/lightning skills) and 20FCR. The 20FCR is particularly hard to get since the guaranteed FCR is a range that varies between 1 and 10. So if the stars align, you can get a caster amulet that rolls arch-angels amulet of the apprentice, and roll +10FCR +some kind of resistance and/or life. So at the end of the day you get things that look like this:

It's ilvl88 for +2 skills. Any unique in a lvl85 area will drop ilvl88 blue amulets for good caster amulet base. The other source for ilvl88 bases is gambling with a lvl93 character. Gambling gives an ilvl range of -5 to +4 of character level. So to guarantee the amulet has a base ilvl high enough, you need to gamble it on a 93 character. You can also just try your luck at upgrading gambled amulets earlier but it just lowers your odds of a +2.

Be nice if they threw in a way to see ilvl.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Mustached Demon posted:

for real, as much as mechanics depend on it

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

lol this is like the third time I've seen you need to be a certain level to do something, truly hardcore

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

apparently slvl 20 thorns returns like 200 damage per hit... it's noticeable against trash mobs on hell, but unlikely to be comedy option new meta.

I am sad now.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mustached Demon posted:

It's ilvl88 for +2 skills. Any unique in a lvl85 area will drop ilvl88 blue amulets for good caster amulet base. The other source for ilvl88 bases is gambling with a lvl93 character. Gambling gives an ilvl range of -5 to +4 of character level. So to guarantee the amulet has a base ilvl high enough, you need to gamble it on a 93 character. You can also just try your luck at upgrading gambled amulets earlier but it just lowers your odds of a +2.

You sure?

https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Affixes_(Diablo_II)

That shows +2 affixes (arch-angels etc, as ilvl90).

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You sure?

https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Affixes_(Diablo_II)

That shows +2 affixes (arch-angels etc, as ilvl90).

That's ilvl of the crafted amulet not of the input amulet. The final ilvl factors in the crafting character's level and bumps up the final ilvl to 90 if the character is high enough.

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=30598890

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I've played a bit with a summoner druid and the new A3 fire merc and I'm not sure the AI prioritizes casting enchant on minions, sure, he casts it on you almost immediately but no so much on them, just a couple casts and that's it (or I failed to notice it more). New ravens are pretty funny.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mustached Demon posted:

That's ilvl of the crafted amulet not of the input amulet. The final ilvl factors in the crafting character's level and bumps up the final ilvl to 90 if the character is high enough.

https://forums.d2jsp.org/topic.php?t=30598890

Gotcha. So if you are clvl=93 and you use an ilvl of at least 88, then you are g2g. But the easiest way to get appropriately leveled amulets is just to gamble them in which case you should be lvl 93. Then every amulet you craft with a gambled amulet, has a chance of getting +2 skills.

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"

Angry Lobster posted:

I've played a bit with a summoner druid and the new A3 fire merc and I'm not sure the AI prioritizes casting enchant on minions, sure, he casts it on you almost immediately but no so much on them, just a couple casts and that's it (or I failed to notice it more). New ravens are pretty funny.

I'm probably gonna stick with Act II Might Merc + Pride when I get the runes together. Found a Jalal's over the weekend. Still going strong in hardcore Nightmare.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gotcha. So if you are clvl=93 and you use an ilvl of at least 88, then you are g2g. But the easiest way to get appropriately leveled amulets is just to gamble them in which case you should be lvl 93. Then every amulet you craft with a gambled amulet, has a chance of getting +2 skills.

Not impossible to gamble/craft an amulet below that but it's another layer of rng. Character level 88 is the lowest I think but then you're relying on pulling a 93 amulet and have no way to tell if you did. It's an OK example of d2r guides focusing the ideal instead of what can work with more time/effort.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

coelomate posted:

apparently slvl 20 thorns returns like 200 damage per hit... it's noticeable against trash mobs on hell, but unlikely to be comedy option new meta.

I am sad now.
Mrllama is streaming a thorns paladin right now on twitch and with 42 thorns it does 1088 dmg :v:

EDIT he just put it at F "meme" tier:
https://clips.twitch.tv/MushySpikyFriseeKeepo-FhvdttClbixaokjA

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 26, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
PTR Druidposting

Here's what Spirit of Barbs is like when maxed:

not that impressive

_

Poison Creeper:

The Rabies synergy can push it up higher, but you wouldn't have the points for it. That said, this is probably the next best thing to sink points into since it's not-physical and is an extra summon. For reference, current Poison Creeper deals 84-86 Poison damage over 4 seconds at level 20.

_

I didn't check the Raven at all since you really wouldn't have the points for it: 20 Spirit Wolf, 20 Dire Wolf, 20 Grizzly, and then either 20 Heart of Wolverine and 12 Poison Creeper, or vice-versa, requires level 85 with Act 4 Izual still unclaimed

_

New Spirit Wolf is on the left, with Grizzly Bear (but not Dire Wolf) also maxed for the damage synergy

My Druid on the live server is on the right, with a less-than-maxed Spirit Wolf, but full points in Dire Wolf and Grizzly Bear

and then here's also my live server Druid's Dire Wolf, because that's the competition:

Chewing over the comparison:

* the new Spirit Wolves do marginally more damage than the current Spirit Wolf, but if we say 178 average damage per wolf, times 5 wolves equals 892 damage, then compare that to the live Dire Wolves, which are 397 average damage per wolf, times 3 wolves equals 1,192 damage, then the Spirit Wolves are very competitive

* and of course it's Cold damage, so the Summoner Druid now has a physical immune solution

* my current Spirit Wolves have 532 life even with the full synergy from Dire Wolves, while the PTR Druid has 442 life with just 1 point in Dire Wolf. The PTR Spirit Wolves should break 1k life easily with a full Dire Wolf synergy, which again makes them competitive

* I daresay that given these changes, and since Spirit Wolves are five at a time compared to Dire Wolves being three at a time, you'd be better off using Spirit Wolves full time and then using Dires if the target is cold immune, rather than the other way around

* the only spanner that could be thrown into the works would be if Heart of Wolverine somehow doesn't properly work the Spirit Wolf's cold damage, but I have no way of testing/verifying that. That'd still make the Spirit Wolves a viable alternate elemental attack, but you'd go back to Dire Wolves except if the target is physical immune.

_

And here's Armageddon, if you max out the damage synergies (but not Fissure):

I feel like the meteor drops are still too inconsistent to be relied upon, and most of your damage is going to come from using Molten Boulder and Firestorm, but theoretically this should work as a dual-element build.

And yes, the cast timers are now un-linked, so you can have Armageddon, Volcano, Fissure, Molten Boulder, and Firestorm going all at the same time, as fast as you can cast it:

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 26, 2022

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Audax posted:

Just a heads up, but Rhyme also works in necro heads. If you find one with summon skills it's great. I just threw this into a random one and used it!

turns out I'm a noob and already had a grey head with +2 raise skelly and bone armor on it, but put two esh runes in it because I didn't know poo poo about rune words. Now I just need to find a hel

I did manage to shop up a nice +3 raise skelly +1 golem mastery white wand tho

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

That Italian Guy posted:

Mrllama is streaming a thorns paladin right now on twitch and with 42 thorns it does 1088 dmg :v:

EDIT he just put it at F "meme" tier:
https://clips.twitch.tv/MushySpikyFriseeKeepo-FhvdttClbixaokjA
Around the 2:50 mark he plays with Holy Fire Auradin and holy poo poo is it powerful (and expensive, 2x Dragon, Hand of Justice, etc)

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Druid going JOHN MADDEN making GBS threads out fire and brimstone sounds pretty awesome if insight and mana regen can keep it burning.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

is there no level 85 assassin available or am I blind?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

is there no level 85 assassin available or am I blind?

e okay wierd, i guess making a level 1 assassin deleted the level 85 assassin?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

Holy Fire - right now, it adds an average of 118 Fire damage per hit at level 20. If we factor in a 360% damage increase from 20 points in Resist Fire, that goes up to 542 Fire damage per hit.
If we assume a 90% buff to the base damage, then the base goes from 118 to 224 damage. If we factor in the synergy going from 360% to 480%, that goes up to 1,299 Fire damage per hit.

Happy to admit in this case that I ended up lowballing the prediction. That's an average of 1,452 Fire damage/hit

In other changes, Thorns does 288 damage when triggered - making it a leveling-only or gimmick build.

Conversion has a 75% chance to convert at skill level 20.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

the new martial arts changes whip rear end

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

so yeah, i think im playing a holy fire paladin, lmfao

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Oh man I'm happy about the Holy Fire buff. It's a fun as hell build in Normal, early NM and the range on it at higher levels is pretty nuts. If it's good enough that there's another endgame build to play besides Hammers / Smiter that would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Idk if this was intentional, but dragon talon consumes one charge per kick, so an assassin can absolutely unload if they charge up a couple skills before doing a kick

Also immunities are just not a thing, since you're probably doing cold, lightning, poison and physical damage, plus whatever your shadow does

KrunkMcGrunk fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jan 26, 2022