Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've written about this before, but Act 5 has its share of issues:

- the first waypoint is in Frigid Highlands, NOT in Bloody Foothills, so you don't get a second waypoint until Arreat Plateau
- and there's no intuitive way to easily find the waypoint in Arreat Plateau
- so you end up needing to do Frigid Highlands WP to Crystalline Passage WP in one long segment
- similar to the waypoints, the portals to Abaddon / Pit of Acheron / Infernal Pit are SOMEWHERE in these outdoor zones, but again there's no way to easily find them besides "they're between the fortification lines", so they're that much harder to get to than other level 85 dungeons
- Frozen Tundra, like the Arreat Plateau, is another outdoor zone with bad WP placement, so you end up needing to do Glacial Trail WP to Ancients Way WP in one long segment
- and if you're playing multiplayer, stopping at the Ancients Way WP means you're gonna need to re-clear if you stop there, so you still want to keep going to the Ancients...
- ... which makes the segment even longer since the next WP after that is Worldstone Keep 2

I've learned all the other Acts enough that I can compress them into bite-size runs, even Act 3, if I really have to, but Act 5 just really wants you to do it in one afternoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What your trick for bite sizing act 3?

My tolerance for that act went up a lot when I started doing all the jungle parts at the same time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Kurast Docks to Spider Forest can be one session. Stop at the WP.

Spider Forest to Flayer Jungle can be one session. If you hit the Flayer Jungle, turn around. Stop at the WP.
If you find the Flayer Dungeon before the Flayer Jungle WP, up to you if you want to do that in one go.
What I usually do is leave a TP at the Flayer Dungeon entrance and keep going. Once I find the Flayer Jungle WP, I take the WP back to town, then take the TP and do the dungeon.

Flayer Jungle to Lower Kurast WP can be one session.

Once you're past the jungle then everything else can be intuitively broken down into small runs. If anything, the one zone I still struggle with is the Sewers, because there doesn't seem to be a discernable pattern to finding the stairs to level 2.

That might all seem obvious, but I guess it also has to do with learning the little layouts - stick to one side of the river always, learn the layout of the Flayer Dungeon so you can do it quickly, and remember that the Lower Kurast entrance is always going to be on the upper-right-hand side of your monitor.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

gradenko_2000 posted:

Spider Forest to Flayer Jungle can be one session. If you hit the Great Marsh, turn around. Stop at the WP.

Assuming you meant that.

I have had a (very) few cases over the years where i had to go through Great Marsh to get to Flayer Jungle though i just assume that had been a map generation bug, though the wiki claims it is not an extraordinary occurance.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah - I stand corrected - if you hit Great Marsh, turn around and look for the other way

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i wasn't a fan of the act 3 jungle areas either

and as far as the story goes i kind of gave up. the events in the cutscenes stop making sense after act 2 and don't completely match what you are told in the game itself

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I don’t think I’m ever playing a non-sorceress again tbh. Teleport is so sick and so is static and very build seems fun!!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I don’t think I’m ever playing a non-sorceress again tbh. Teleport is so sick and so is static and very build seems fun!!

I like the run fast builds. Assassin and fury barb are both lots of fun.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i wasn't a fan of the act 3 jungle areas either

and as far as the story goes i kind of gave up. the events in the cutscenes stop making sense after act 2 and don't completely match what you are told in the game itself

Everything in the cutscenes take place after the fact. The player is always one step behind, except for the Lord of Destruction finale.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Neon Knight posted:

Why is hell full of wooden carriages? Barbarians fleeing Baals armies move their convoys into his portals thinking they found a short cut?

no those are carriages of hell, they just happen to be wooden like the catapults, but it is demon wood

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
how many attacks do you think my lvl 1 clay golem will tank against duriel

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

verbal enema posted:

Twoish.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

verbal enema posted:

At least one

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

leper khan posted:

At least one

it was one

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There's a reason Enigma was the default chest slot for every non-sorc build.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

There's a reason Enigma was the default chest slot for every non-sorc build.

"default chest" for poop sockers maybe

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

leper khan posted:

"default chest" for poop sockers maybe

the canonical diablo 2 experience was botting to trade for d2jsp forum gold, right?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

the canonical diablo 2 experience was botting to trade for d2jsp forum gold, right?

self found is the only way to play

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Clay "The Gay" Golem

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

It's canonical that Clay Golem summon and Grizzly Bear summon are best friends

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Fire Golem has no friends, Blood Golem has many lovers, Iron Golem is too cold and distance so most of his friends are barely more than acquaintances

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Fire Golem has no friends, Blood Golem has many lovers, Iron Golem is too cold and distance so most of his friends are barely more than acquaintances

:(

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
so i'm creeping up on lvl 40 on my leveling build bowazon and i'm not sure if i want to go Zeus style just hurling lighting everywhere or giant stick for stabbing things. I played all day yesterday got to nightmare and know i need some upgrades and poo poo but ahghhhghh i never did this on my own i'm so used to playing with my sorc/ barb friend

lvl 1 to 38 in less than 24hrs is by no means a record but its my personal best. only six deaths! (gently caress off getting stuck in hallways surrounded by fetish!) pretty sure i entered nightmare at lvl 35

Baal took FOREVER

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i should not have respecced into impale and fend so willy nilly i'm so hosed lol

saving my nightmare respec until i can get some real gear

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
I have that +5 to Impale spear stashed on my SP mule hoping that one day will become viable enough to go Wallachian Medieval on some monsters.

Until then I'll continue to painstakingly equip my Strafer. :v:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

speaking of Crushing Blow, another build to consider is a "4-frame Werebear" - if you can find / make a 6-socket Phase Blade (relatively cheap as items go) and six Shael runes, and any source of Crushing Blow (the aforementioned crafted Blood gloves, Goblin Toe boots, etc.), you can give it to a Druid, spec into Werebear, and you're all set

the Druid's normal attack, with that weapon, is going to swing at 4 frames per attack. That's 375 attacks per minute, arguably the fastest in the game. In comparison, the fastest Zeal cycle is 4/4/4/4/8 frames, which only gives you 312 attacks per minute

if you go with just normal attack, you free up a lot of points from not having to invest in an attack skill, and you never have to worry about mana - you will want AR bonuses, and some source of elemental damage, but the idea here is that even if you tend to miss a lot, it probably won't matter because you're hitting so often anyway

otherwise, you can invest in Fire Claws, which does give an AR bonus, and when heavily synergized gives you enough Fire damage to serve as a second element - between the raw damage of your swings, plus Crushing Blow, you've got Physical damage covered, and then Fire Claws covers Fire damage. Fire Claws does cost mana, and with you swinging so fast it will cost a lot of mana, but leech and (as always) Insight can help

This is from so long ago (page 48 lol) but I'm only up to page 61 and that's all well before the balance patch landed. I see in the patch notes that 2.4 changed attack speed calculations for werebear and werewolf changed - did that break this build, or is it still viable? Maxroll seems to suggest that weapon IAS is less useful now, so I think it might be bricked, but I really like the idea of using a shapeshift to apply fast crushing blow.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i responded to a several day old post offering to help, and that's just silly. bless us all

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Aug 1, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

pork never goes bad posted:

This is from so long ago (page 48 lol) but I'm only up to page 61 and that's all well before the balance patch landed. I see in the patch notes that 2.4 changed attack speed calculations for werebear and werewolf changed - did that break this build, or is it still viable? Maxroll seems to suggest that weapon IAS is less useful now, so I think it might be bricked, but I really like the idea of using a shapeshift to apply fast crushing blow.

Patch 2.4 eliminated the possibility of easily hitting a 4-frame attack, and you're probably going to get a 7-frame attack instead

That said, the Werebear is now uninterruptible, and he did get some damage buffs, though you do need Maul to get some of it

The way you play hasn't fundamentally changed, but the specific gimmick of the 4-frame attack is gone

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Patch 2.4 eliminated the possibility of easily hitting a 4-frame attack, and you're probably going to get a 7-frame attack instead

That said, the Werebear is now uninterruptible, and he did get some damage buffs, though you do need Maul to get some of it

The way you play hasn't fundamentally changed, but the specific gimmick of the 4-frame attack is gone

Thanks for confirming - I did end up thinking that'd be the case. I'm rolling a druid summoner for now, to go along with my javazon who's not quite up to soloing hell cows yet.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

Thanks for confirming - I did end up thinking that'd be the case. I'm rolling a druid summoner for now, to go along with my javazon who's not quite up to soloing hell cows yet.

ZooDruid pairs nicely with bearform and shockwave.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Cavauro posted:

i responded to a several day old post offering to help, and that's just silly. bless us all

I appreciate you briefly attempting to help another diablogoon

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Thanks my friend. my first crafted call to arms was +1, +2, +4 and then i found an ethereal shako in the next game. babey

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Not an old hand, but I find Act 3 *far* more annoying than Act 5. Feels like far too many dead ends and backtracking.

That and the little poison dart arseholes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That's the general concensus, yeah. If you're online, get a portal to Durance 2 then run the rest of the act for the rewards later when you can ignore the enemies.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

That's the general concensus, yeah. If you're online, get a portal to Durance 2 then run the rest of the act for the rewards later when you can ignore the enemies.

I think that's gone in D2:RE?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

THE BAR posted:

I think that's gone in D2:RE?

I believe so.

The latter half of act 3 is pretty fun imo.

I've always liked act 5!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Everything in act 3 except the flayer skeletons is good

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

explode on death is a terrible mechanic in every arpg and whoever decided to add it should be fed to a diablo

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

hawowanlawow posted:

explode on death is a terrible mechanic in every arpg and whoever decided to add it should be fed to a diablo

The molten modifier in Diablo 3 is a good compromise I feel like. Looks cool, telegraphed, feels good when you dodge it. Great sound design too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

leper khan posted:

Everything in act 3 except the flayer skeletons is good

Why they had to pick those out of all a3 enemies to add to a5 is beyond me.