Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if they're doing lower res and conviction that way they have to at least do cold mastery as well, come on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Lower Resist and Conviction can break immunities, Cold Mastery and Facets can't so it wouldn't make sense to include them

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Boo. I was looking forward to playing a super-hilariously overpowered javazon instead of the regular ol' hilariously overpowered one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Wait, so does that mean Infinity is going to get majorly nerfed as well? That would make it significantly worse than how it is on live, if I’m understanding this correctly.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

hawowanlawow posted:

if they're doing lower res and conviction that way they have to at least do cold mastery as well, come on

Sorc wins again!!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Why would they do that? Punish everyone except sorc to keep the status quo?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

exquisite tea posted:

Wait, so does that mean Infinity is going to get majorly nerfed as well? That would make it significantly worse than how it is on live, if I’m understanding this correctly.

I think conviction only works at 20% effectiveness against immunes now (i.e. you only get -17% rather than the full -85‰). So, against a 110% resist monster, infinity takes it down to 93%. In season 2, infinity+sunder charm will take it to 83% (95-17). Infinity with no sunder charm will be the same as before.

At least, that's how I think the game works applied to how I read the patch note. Either or both of those inputs could be wrong.

The Little Kielbasa fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 6, 2022

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

soscannonballs posted:

Lower Resist and Conviction can break immunities, Cold Mastery and Facets can't so it wouldn't make sense to include them

Took me until now to see this logic... still a little bummed that it will open up fewer new builds, but I at least kinda understand it now.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
What would be the least they could do to make some other classes/builds competitive with sorc as ladder starters?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

marshalljim posted:

What would be the least they could do to make some other classes/builds competitive with sorc as ladder starters?

Give them Teleport as a skill on their tree.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

marshalljim posted:

Give everyone teleport

Don't you dare suggest nerfing TP as an alternative

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
1. Give everyone teleport (or nerf it for the Sorc)

2. Eliminate the attack rating mechanic entirely

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Splinter posted:

Give everyone teleport

Don't you dare suggest nerfing TP as an alternative

Ith, Ber, Jah as norm/nightmare/hell countess guaranteed drops?

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
I almost added "give them teleport and...", but it sounds like anything else would be extra. Kind of a screwy situation.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

If you had a low rune version of engima with poo poo stats but with teleport, that would be cool (and totally broken).

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

WarpedLichen posted:

If you had a low rune version of engima with poo poo stats but with teleport, that would be cool (and totally broken).

Yep, or even a jewel/socket so it doesn't warp the meta around it in other ways.

Maybe like... 500 charges of teleport or something. So you still WANT an enigma, but it doesn't lock all the early/mid ladder players out of farming efficiently without it (or a cold sorc)

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
I've always thought a cool down would be best that decreases with hard skill points.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
A less extreme change that actually might make a difference is drastically reducing the cost to repair items with TP charges. Also maybe making it easier to find something with a lot of charges, though Naj's Puzzler already exists and has 69 charges IIRC (nice). I've never really gone this route, so I'm not sure how many charges are necessary to really make this practical, but I'm just imagining if it became more practical gold wise to be able to recharge every single run, while having enough charges to do some of the shorter runs consistently (even if it sometimes required running a bit between walls rather than constant TP spam) that would level the playing field a bit at the start. Even if this only opened up a few runs via TP to non-Sorcs pre-enigma, it still could help.

Something else I've seen thrown around is an easier to build runeword (e.g. requiring an Ist at most, maybe even a Pul at most) with TP that is garbage outside of TP. Something that everyone should be able to get by NM or Hell if they want, but on an item you'll want to swap out while actually fighting. That way Enigma still has value as an item with TP that is actually also BIS or close to BIS.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

exquisite tea posted:

Okay, here is an interesting thought experiment: Are there two people in the world that have the same exact pronunciations for every single rune? I think this might be close to statistically impossible. I'll go through my own list and pick out the ones that might be variable:

El - just L
Eld - L'd
Tir (rhymes with "fear")
Nef
Eth - if you pronounce Ethernet like this, you are wrong
Ith - if
Tal (as in "valor")
Ral (rhymes with "ball") - wtf, its like rally
Thul (rhymes with "hull") - madness, its like "I am full"
Amn (as in "palm") - ?! "um" with a bit of n on the end"
Sol
Shael (rhymes with "hail")
Dol (as in "doll")
Hel
Io (eye-oh) - don't you mean "yo" (ok you're right here, but only because I thought it was Lo due to D2's font)
Lum
Ko
Fal (as in "fall") - infallible
Lem
Pul (as in "pull") - I will pul-verize you
Um
Mal (as in "valor") - mal-content
Ist
Gul (rhymes with "pull") - seagull
Vex
Ohm
Lo - (and I thought that this was like "low" or something)
Sur (as in "sir")
Ber (as in "bear") - bur
Jah
Cham (as in "sham")
Zod - kneel

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Mar 16, 2023

Rocketpriest
Nov 28, 2006
Alias: Non-Demoninational Minister Capable of Sub-Atmospheric Flight
Good for him, we can't be having TOO much fun, now. Think of the speedrunners :qq:

Well, I was going to play assassin, but then the wheel told me I needed to play assassin, so I'm going to play assassin. It will be an adjustment to my ladder starting plan, but I will manage. I'm dedicated to not starting over as a sorceress on day 1 this time. I started as druid last ladder, but then Countess dropped Leaf runes, and when I went back to town Akara had a +2 firebolt +2 fireball staff with two sockets, so I took the loving hint. But last ladder I made like 100 characters and I learned that I enjoy the game more when I'm playing anything that isn't a sorceress, so I'm just not going to do it (until I want to farm like 10 respec tokens to sell and can't be bothered running to Mephisto when I could teleport instead). My resolve is iron and I will not waver even if I get crazy good sorc drops. I dare the game to drop the entire Tal's set during leveling - I dare it.

vvvv Yeah, Wake of Fire is disgustingly good at normal cows too, which is handy on a ladder start. Gotta get that crystal / broadsword and I will accept no helm but bone helm for my Lore.

Rocketpriest fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Oct 4, 2022

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Trapsin is a very strong build to level on a fresh reset, in fact it even has a few advantages compared to Sorc or Pally that make starting out super easy for them. They can even use Leaf to boost their fire traps at low levels if you happen to make one.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dole, E-Oh

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Rocketpriest posted:

I'm dedicated to not starting over as a sorceress on day 1 this time.

yeah uh me too mhm sure

Murder Noveau
Jul 25, 2007
Maybe death is a gift.

harrygomm posted:

people like MrLlamaSC/other single-title streamers have their ear and said it would change things too much from ~the way things were~

he explicitly states he reached out to the devs to try to get them to revert charms/make this exact change in his video about the patch today

I watched some of Llama's content at the start of D2R and he came across as a gatekeeping, old school purist and this really nails his rear end-backwards attitude towards this game. I was really looking forward to the possibility of multiple builds having top tier strength without full sets of near perfect runewords/grail uniques. Streamers who don't want any changes should just play D2 Classic and let D2R go all out on changing the game. I'm fulling onboard for removing immunes, Enigma alternatives, buffing uniques/sets, even more runewords, and whatever else they want to throw at the wall and see what sticks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Murder Noveau posted:

I'm fulling onboard for removing immunes, Enigma alternatives, buffing uniques/sets, even more runewords, and whatever else they want to throw at the wall and see what sticks.

D2R was cool when it released and I got some fun out of it. I don't think I could go back now without all the stuff listed above though. Make melee decent and viable and make the game not terrible on hell without top tier gear/being a sorc or hammerdin.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Murder Noveau posted:

I watched some of Llama's content at the start of D2R and he came across as a gatekeeping, old school purist.

He is probably the person on the planet that has played d2 the most, and literally has the game as his livelyhood. Not too surprised he wants to keep the game less accessible for the masses

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I've not gotten that vibe from him but I also only watched his stuff around the time D2R came out. I remember him saying he wanted buffs to melee and for more viable builds, more runewords to cover gaps in itemization, etc. And he was excited about terror zones. What has he said in the past that was gatekeeping

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

In his last video (which has been disliked to hell lmao) he basically took credit for making Conviction/LR useless now because people were having too much fun i.e. making him actually have to think differently about stuff and that made him Very Sad re: the Integrity of Diablo 2.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Oh Llama. Touch grass

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ARPG developers are always so afraid of making things too good, because they're afraid people would get bored of the game, but that would never actually happen, because ARPG players do not actually get bored. it is simply not in our nature

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Llama was also very vocal about needing to nerf Holy Fire because of stacking auras with Dragon, which did eventually happen

I think just being able to play around with all these top tier items will warp one's perception of the game

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah pretty much no normal person is gonna have two dragons on standard, much less on ladder

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Pretty sure I have said it before in this thread but I don't like Llama either, for someone who plays so much he sure does love putting out the most generic builds that just use the same items even when they aren't the best. Also still haven't seen a content creator that actually does Bone Necro or ES sorc justice. For ES specifically every build I saw had max resists which is just idiotic.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I prefer to hear the soothing dulcet tones of GGM explaining the very specific niche functionality of some level 19 unique axe I've never seen before in my entire life.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

Pretty sure I have said it before in this thread but I don't like Llama either, for someone who plays so much he sure does love putting out the most generic builds that just use the same items even when they aren't the best. Also still haven't seen a content creator that actually does Bone Necro or ES sorc justice. For ES specifically every build I saw had max resists which is just idiotic.

What is missing from the current online posted bone Necro builds?

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

The current guide on maxroll doesn't have a single point in Dim Vision which is the best defensive ability in the game. There isn't any mention of building for max block which imo is a viable defensive option for Bone Necro due to poor scaling from Vitality and how much control they have. Stacking vitality won't really save you if you tele into a bad pack, but max block can give you the time to get out and establish defensive layers with dim vision/bone wall. Basically they offer one way to build the character and don't even mention other ways to build which are 100% viable. You can build bone necro for max block and max fcr by giving up a little bit of damage which makes the build way smoother to play. One nice thing with the maxroll character planner is you can actually see how much dps you gain or lose by using different gear.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
It's actually surprising how many skills aren't really essential or even possible to build with just from necros alone.

Up until the Pus Spitter dropped for me yesterday for the first time, I had no idea the developers even entertained the notion of a bow necro.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

soscannonballs posted:

The current guide on maxroll doesn't have a single point in Dim Vision which is the best defensive ability in the game. There isn't any mention of building for max block which imo is a viable defensive option for Bone Necro due to poor scaling from Vitality and how much control they have. Stacking vitality won't really save you if you tele into a bad pack, but max block can give you the time to get out and establish defensive layers with dim vision/bone wall. Basically they offer one way to build the character and don't even mention other ways to build which are 100% viable. You can build bone necro for max block and max fcr by giving up a little bit of damage which makes the build way smoother to play. One nice thing with the maxroll character planner is you can actually see how much dps you gain or lose by using different gear.

Yeah, lots of the builds I've seen don't really care about people who play HC and figure "if you die, just leave and make a new game."

My assumption is they focus on the majority of the player base, which is in SC and not HC. It does really send a mixed message when they include a HC section (like maxroll does) but don't put the same effort into making it properly and just go "put on a SS and enough dex for max block."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

I dont play hc, but I have played the "max" dps build of bone necro and one with a little less dps but way more qol and survival and the latter just feels so much better to play.