Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Yeah, assuming Blizzard made no changes to the experience points, then the grind to level 99 is quite high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

ultrachrist posted:

gonna wait to see if I can pick this up used some time down the line, but was absorbing some nostalgia looking at gameplay. I was curious what the PS4 trophies would be and there's one for leveling a hardcore character to 99! Wasn't reaching 99 an insane grind in the og version? I remember something like... you hit the late 80s, maybe early 90s and then it takes weeks.

From what I recall it's somewhat doable up to 94 or 95 and then after that :laffo:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
talking to cain will crash your game in multiplayer

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

ultrachrist posted:

gonna wait to see if I can pick this up used some time down the line, but was absorbing some nostalgia looking at gameplay. I was curious what the PS4 trophies would be and there's one for leveling a hardcore character to 99! Wasn't reaching 99 an insane grind in the og version? I remember something like... you hit the late 80s, maybe early 90s and then it takes weeks.

The XP needed from 98 to 99 is the same as 1-98, so good luck I guess

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

The servers are hosed.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
My recollection was that it literally took a team of guys sharing a character and playing 24/7 for weeks to hit 99 initially, but that it was much easier once LoD dropped. I don't think I personally got any chars past the 60s.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
And people wanted a ladder at launch lol

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Just assume the game ends at lvl 85 and if manage to get past that then good on ya I guess

gently caress I’m actually paying attention during this zoom meeting because I can’t get in on ps5. This is not how this was supposed to go

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The servers being hosed is no surprise, but can you still play Diablo II Resurrected in single player offline?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Watching llama and quin's characters being deleted is pretty :lol: :allears:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

level 7 character has disappeared, very accurate nostalgic blizzard launch day experience

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Anyone knows if character names are unique or if they follow the D3 standard of having some kind of "unique per handle" (so the charname is char@handle or something like that)? I managed to grab some names I would not like to lose because the servers crapped out and got rolled back :v:

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

I said come in! posted:

The servers being hosed is no surprise, but can you still play Diablo II Resurrected in single player offline?

Yeah seems to work fine offline. I don't think you can play "multiplayer offline" over LAN which is a bummer.

CBD Corndog
Jun 21, 2009

Online names aren't unique anymore, its kindof like the D3 naming system now

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
good thing they made the game online only so people who crashed can't even make single player games while servers are hosed

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

smoobles posted:

Yeah seems to work fine offline. I don't think you can play "multiplayer offline" over LAN which is a bummer.

Still an improvement over Diablo III launch.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

The skellies I'm raising look fuckin amazin

I forgot how comically fast the skellies walk, I'm lollin'

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ultrachrist posted:

characters get full XP from monsters within 5 levels of them. a larger gap starts imposing a penalty, and you can do a 7-level gap before it gets too painful (with an 8-level gap, you'd only be receiving 36% of the XP you'd normally get)
since all monsters are set to the level of the "area", it's really the level of the area that matters

Nightmare difficulty Act 5 ends at area level 66, so characters can get to level 72 by the end of Nightmare (and should before going to Hell, really), with 74 possible if you're willing to grind Baal runs

Hell Act 1 ends at area level 73, so you can do up to character level 78
Hell Act 2 ends at area level 79 (ish), so you can do up to character level 84
Hell Act 3+ will support area levels that will make character level 85 reachable

There's a second layer of XP multiplier: at character level 70+, there's a penalty to XP earned on top of the regular monster level vs character level calculation. A level 70 character is only earning 95% of the XP they otherwise shoud. A level 80 character is only earning 48% of the XP they should, and so on.

When you're at character level 98, you have a 13 level gap with pretty much every monster, so you're only getting 5% XP from them, and then the high-character-level penalty reduces that further to 0.59% of 5%

so yeah getting to 99 is... not to expected except for the most dedicated

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level
https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Experience

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Game is fun. Going to play druid instead of the usual Necro though.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

smoobles posted:

they have a run animation now for maximum trousling

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

kaleedity posted:

they have a run animation now for maximum trousling

gonna mod this song in for the walking sound

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_qbGJuxCYY&t=1s

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Can’t name my character Selene. Says it’s profane. :wtf:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

don't think it's been possible to make a game in the last ~45 minutes, but if you were already in a game when the issue popped up you can keep playing

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

hosed around with an offline character while Blizzard figures out their poo poo, and I'm really loving the graphics. It feels like my rose-tinted memory of how the game actually looked. They did a great job.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Durendal posted:

Can’t name my character Selene. Says it’s profane. :wtf:

Mods ban this sick filth

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Blizz launch days are smooth as hell.

Grimdude
Sep 25, 2006

It was a shame how he carried on
Just lol if you had hopes set on playing it reliably before like Saturday.

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

I'm honestly amazed I got in, got to the cold plains wp, cleared the cavern, then logged out. probably won't be able to play that character again

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Since this is purely digital it seems like they could have, you know, planned for this. But lol okay gg

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL
this suuuuccccckkkkksssssss

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

30 minutes and apparently they are going to restart things. Some streamer heard this

bemusedchunk
May 10, 2021

External Organs posted:

Since this is purely digital it seems like they could have, you know, planned for this. But lol okay gg

they have a history of servers making GBS threads the bed on launch day so digital or not doesn't matter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol it's 1 AM here and I can't start a game

I'm going to go to bed instead of hammering at this

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

how does this rank on disastrous Blizzard launches i.e. all Blizzard launches

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
https://twitter.com/BlizzardCS/status/1441084923117400070

Love the "please log off before maintenance" alert 1min before the start of said maintenance :v:

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

You'd think since they've got activision money they could spin up some extra servers for the launch but i guess all that money is gonna be pissed away defending their chauvinist asses

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I accidentally pushed G and laughed pretty hard.

smoobles posted:

They're zoomin!

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
This all does feel properly nostalgic though. A+ so far. What would diablo even be without server issues.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

launch day thus far:

8:03 - game works!
8:45ish - can't create or join games anymore but if you were already in one you can keep playing
10:00 - servers down for maintenance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaleedity
Feb 27, 2016

smoobles posted:

how does this rank on disastrous Blizzard launches i.e. all Blizzard launches

people have played the game so it's extremely high end for blizzard