Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

leper khan posted:

How do you give offline characters stuff from online chars? Out of season online isn't offline.

...Ah. I'm an idiot who has just wasted a bunch of time. I think I was confusing it with Diablo III where there was only "online" and "online ladder". I could make online non-ladder characters to use some stuff, but lag issues make it less fun, I've occasionally died to things which weren't near me.

I didn't think 3 os monarchs were ideal, so I'll ditch it.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm playing a SSF sorceress and having trouble with Hell Ancients. What's the best approach? I have respecs available and can respec into something just for that fight and then respec again immediately thereafter, if needed.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Sand Monster posted:

I'm playing a SSF sorceress and having trouble with Hell Ancients. What's the best approach? I have respecs available and can respec into something just for that fight and then respec again immediately thereafter, if needed.

I've always gotten my merc nice and strong, then plink away at enemies very slowly that are resistant, bring a lot of pots

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Sweeper posted:

I've always gotten my merc nice and strong, then plink away at enemies very slowly that are resistant, bring a lot of pots

What do you consider "nice and strong"? I was hoping to gear mine with Treachery but I can't get the Lem rune, and farming Countess sucks with my current build.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
You can always drop a poo poo ton of pots on the ground before you activate the altar so you can reload during the fight. Assuming you have teleport you can also separate them and lure them into places they get stuck so you can plink away at them from safety.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Well I ended up finding a Lem in a NM TZ and a Treachery geared merc and some creative positioning made it pretty much a cakewalk!

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Well I ended up finding a Lem in a NM TZ and a Treachery geared merc and some creative positioning made it pretty much a cakewalk!

I'm in the same boat of needing a lem. Doing a SSF fury druid and have had a mal drop in hell act 3, a jah drop at the hell gidbinn pack, and a reapers drop on the way to hell chaos but my resists are brutal!

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

crondaily posted:

I'm in the same boat of needing a lem. Doing a SSF fury druid and have had a mal drop in hell act 3, a jah drop at the hell gidbinn pack, and a reapers drop on the way to hell chaos but my resists are brutal!

Give NM TZs a try on /players 8, I was getting really good drops in general but definitely a lot of runes too.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Sand Monster posted:

Give NM TZs a try on /players 8, I was getting really good drops in general but definitely a lot of runes too.

Will do, hell countess hasn't given me poo poo.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you're offline, chest farming in lower kurast can spit out runes at an ok rate. Some easy to spot super chests around the torch bonfire circle.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
After a long hiatus, I got bit by the bug again and have been making progress over the last two days.

When I last stopped playing on the PS5, my Holy Fire/Holy Shock Paladin was at level 76 after having squeezed out all the XP from Nightmare Terror Zones, and had just taken out Hell Blood Raven.

I picked him back up again and completed Act 1 Hell, and now I'm slowly working through Act 2.

He was struggling for a bit, with fairly middling gear - a Black runeword Flail, a Rhyme shield, and then most other slots devoted to getting his resists maxed-out for Hell.

When I found another Io rune, I made a Black runeword in a Knout, and then when I found a 4os Shadow Bow, I made an Insight runeword on it*, and I changed-out the Barbarian merc for an Act 1 merc. Then, when I found a nice blue ammy with big all res, I put it on and got enough spare resists that I could put on Goblin Toe boots for the extra crushing blow.

Act 2 has gone much smoother since: the higher physical damage on the Knout helps, and the Act 1 mercy's Inner Sight is a huge boon to my terrible AR. I would have preferred a stronger runeword on Aliza's bow, maybe something with ED, but I didn't have the runes for it. I'll keep looking.

I feel pretty confident that I should be able to make Patriarch with this character - it's just a matter of time and patience. I was thinking though that perhaps a "dual-element" Paladin might Holy Shock/Fanaticism instead once you have a nice base-damage weapon: Fanat doesn't need a synergy which frees up points to dump into Zeal, and the bonus to AR should be pretty useful in a pinch, effectively making physical damage your second back-up element after Lightning.

And, a final question: does any white Monarch dropped in Hell automatically get 4os if I have Larzuk punch holes in it?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

And, a final question: does any white Monarch dropped in Hell automatically get 4os if I have Larzuk punch holes in it?

Yes, Monarch is ilvl 41+ for 4 sockets. Although I will ask, as a Paladin, why are you seeking a Monarch? The various paladin shields will often drop with very high all res stats and are fantastic bases for shield runewords.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sand Monster posted:

Yes, Monarch is ilvl 41+ for 4 sockets. Although I will ask, as a Paladin, why are you seeking a Monarch? The various paladin shields will often drop with very high all res stats and are fantastic bases for shield runewords.

It's for my level 66 Bone Spear Necro

Thank you

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to beat Hell Act 3 last night, but my to-hit chance against Mephisto was an abysmal 29%. I can shift around some charms and gear for more AR, but I think it's really going to come down to the fact that I only have level 1 Zeal and thus no real source of bonus AR from skills.

I've been considering a couple of options for a respec:

- as I mentioned before, drop Holy Fire as a secondary element, and shift those points into Zeal, and whatever's left into Fanaticism. Stay with Holy Shock+Resist Lightning as a primary element, but now with a high Zeal for AR, and then Fanat when dealing with Lightning immunes

- shift completely into Avenger: Vengeance + Conviction. That would guarantee that I'd never fear any one immune, and Conviction's -90% defense would take care of my AR woes (on top of Vengeance's AR bonus). I would lose the ability to hit multiple targets quickly, but I don't mind taking my sweet time and stringing out enemies so that I'm only facing 1-2 at a time. My only concern is whether Insight from the merc would be enough to feed Vengeance costing 8.7 mana per swing.

- shift completely into a Hammer build. I think I have enough gear to make it work. No worries about immunities, no worries about AR. My only concern would be whether there's still going to be a Maggot Lair-esque map problem somewhere in Act 4 and 5 that I haven't considered. I don't think there is one, but I'm worried I'm forgetting something.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
Go fohdin, ignore conviction and use redemption or sanctuary. Fohdins only weakness is animal monsters and you're mostly past them. You don't need to pump any aura you run outside of 1 point.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

- shift completely into a Hammer build. I think I have enough gear to make it work. No worries about immunities, no worries about AR. My only concern would be whether there's still going to be a Maggot Lair-esque map problem somewhere in Act 4 and 5 that I haven't considered. I don't think there is one, but I'm worried I'm forgetting something.

I just finished my Hammerdin SSF run and the only time I had any bit of difficulty in Hell was the second Baal minion phase, and then it was just a matter of separating the mobs and slowly killing them via merc and smite.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

So I'm giving this game a whirl again, I'm doing a Sorc (again, since I love them), but I'm hoping and praying I don't hit Hell difficulty and instantly burn out like every other time I do it.

I heard Hydra got buffed so I'm planning to try that this time, my basic plan is to level up Fire Ball and use that to steamroll everything in normal, add points to FM + Hydra and then pick a spell to cover Fire Immunes in Hell. Is Frozen Orb/CM the best/cheapest option, since I've been hearing good things about Nova. The main things I know besides that is going for Lore/Leaf/Stealth, get an Insight in my merc etc (basically a bunch of Countess farming), but if there's anything I'm missing I'd be happy to hear it.

I'm also doing Offline because every time I play this game I tend to do it right before a ladder reset (and playing offline also means if I wanna farm bosses I don't have to re-explore the map every time), so I'm basically just going off what I can find/farm. Can you still bug Andariel for the perpetual good poo poo drops or did that get patched?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Chucat posted:

So I'm giving this game a whirl again, I'm doing a Sorc (again, since I love them), but I'm hoping and praying I don't hit Hell difficulty and instantly burn out like every other time I do it.

I heard Hydra got buffed so I'm planning to try that this time, my basic plan is to level up Fire Ball and use that to steamroll everything in normal, add points to FM + Hydra and then pick a spell to cover Fire Immunes in Hell. Is Frozen Orb/CM the best/cheapest option, since I've been hearing good things about Nova. The main things I know besides that is going for Lore/Leaf/Stealth, get an Insight in my merc etc (basically a bunch of Countess farming), but if there's anything I'm missing I'd be happy to hear it.

I'm also doing Offline because every time I play this game I tend to do it right before a ladder reset (and playing offline also means if I wanna farm bosses I don't have to re-explore the map every time), so I'm basically just going off what I can find/farm. Can you still bug Andariel for the perpetual good poo poo drops or did that get patched?

if i remember d2r is patched to always have bugged andy

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
- Frozen Orb is the cheapest way to get a second element, since it deals good damage with just it, and 1 point in Cold Mastery, plus skill bonuses; no need for synergies

- IIRC Nova is not that great as a side/hybrid/2nd-element skill. You need both it and Lightning Mastery for the skill to really shine. There just happens to be builds dedicated solely around Nova because the synergy with Static Field, the ability to break Lightning Immunity via charms, the ability to reduce Lightning Resistances via items, and the ability to become tanky via Energy Shield all combine to make a sort of one-click-one-skill-no-targeting build.

- Andariel is always going to drop as if she was bugged, even if you don't do anything special

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Oh that's sick (about the Andy bug).

So Hydra + Fireball + Frozen Orb it is then, and then I'll just try to beat Hell with it, and hopefully have Waheed poke all the dual immunes to death, or just teleport past them.

I guess the plan for Single Player Hell is basically to just beat it by any means necessary and then find a good place to level up/farm/MF and then start tweaking builds from there?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Chucat posted:

Oh that's sick (about the Andy bug).

So Hydra + Fireball + Frozen Orb it is then, and then I'll just try to beat Hell with it, and hopefully have Waheed poke all the dual immunes to death, or just teleport past them.

I guess the plan for Single Player Hell is basically to just beat it by any means necessary and then find a good place to level up/farm/MF and then start tweaking builds from there?

yup. as long as you can get someone to beat Hell, you can eventually earn Sundering charms, and that will open up all sorts of builds for you. Some builds will still be niche/very difficult to beat Hell with even with Sundering charms, because 95% resistance is still a lot, but at least it's not going to be impossible

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Chucat posted:

You can also level up in Nightmare Terror Zones if you're getting overwhelmed in early Hell. That's what I did. The levels scale up pretty nicely but you're not really dealing with a lot of immunities.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I would strongly recommend farming NM terror zones until 76

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

A very smart little mouse!

gradenko_2000 posted:

yup. as long as you can get someone to beat Hell, you can eventually earn Sundering charms, and that will open up all sorts of builds for you. Some builds will still be niche/very difficult to beat Hell with even with Sundering charms, because 95% resistance is still a lot, but at least it's not going to be impossible

the traditional route is to start with a Sorc and farm gear to outfit a Hammerdin, the Sorc's teleport skill lets you NM farm at speed until you can put together an Enigma for your Hammerdin and then you can start gambling rare rings when your Hammerdin is above a certain level which is when you can start to gather forums gold, but you have to do this quickly when there's a ladder reset because prices start to settle

once you have a warchest of forums gold you can smooth out the progression quite a bit

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

BasicLich posted:

... the Sorc's teleport skill lets you NM farm at speed until you can put together an Enigma for your Hammerdin...

What is the target farm in NM to acquire an Enigma?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Enigma is one of the costliest items in the game to make, costing a Ber and a Jah. Neither of those runes start dropping naturally until Act 3 Hell, but their individual drop rate is so minuscule that you can't exactly target farm for them other than doing the appropriate content where they're most likely to drop (Durance, Chaos Sanctuary, TZs, etc). Most likely you start trading smaller items and eventually work your way up to them if you're online, because unlike items MF% does not affect runes. Keys and UNID torches are always solid income at the start of a season, and Sorcs make excellent keyfarmers.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

normal people aren't going to want to do forum gold bullshit

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I didn't mean d2jsp, you'll have to be patient but you can eventually trade your way up to high runes just with regular old online lobbies. You do have to have a basic understanding of what items are valuable, though.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Traderie is ok

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I'm in SP so I can't really do any sort of forum gold trading etc.

Anyway I've beaten Act 3 Hell (furthest I've ever got, it was awful) and I'm just farming Meph on and off, I have pretty decent gear now (Shako, Vipermagi, Magefist + Nat Boots), my resists are also all pretty high (68/75/75/46).

My main problem is that my merc just kinda sucks, he's sort of just undergeared and I'm not sure what to do about it. His best gear is Guillaume's Face, besides that it's just an Insight Battle Scythe and a rare Dusk Shroud that I stuck a couple of PSkulls into to get SOME sort of passive lifegain, am I stuck just farming Hell Meph for him until I get either a really good scythe and/or the Andariel Helm? Is there an armour I can get that doesn't suck poo poo? If it's runewords am I just banished to Lower Kurast for ten thousand hours?

Incidentally, I'm drowning in Ali Baba blades, how viable is that meme gold farm Barb build? Do I have to get up to Hell on him to do it?

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

Chucat posted:

I'm in SP so I can't really do any sort of forum gold trading etc.

Anyway I've beaten Act 3 Hell (furthest I've ever got, it was awful) and I'm just farming Meph on and off, I have pretty decent gear now (Shako, Vipermagi, Magefist + Nat Boots), my resists are also all pretty high (68/75/75/46).

My main problem is that my merc just kinda sucks, he's sort of just undergeared and I'm not sure what to do about it. His best gear is Guillaume's Face, besides that it's just an Insight Battle Scythe and a rare Dusk Shroud that I stuck a couple of PSkulls into to get SOME sort of passive lifegain, am I stuck just farming Hell Meph for him until I get either a really good scythe and/or the Andariel Helm? Is there an armour I can get that doesn't suck poo poo? If it's runewords am I just banished to Lower Kurast for ten thousand hours?

Incidentally, I'm drowning in Ali Baba blades, how viable is that meme gold farm Barb build? Do I have to get up to Hell on him to do it?

treachery runeword armor and andariel's visage is the next step for an A2 merc.

e: you can also hire a new mercenary if you're outpacing your merc in levels, they always spawn 1 level fewer than you now

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

There's also a new-ish runeword helm that has life leech. I can't remember the name of it but it doesn't use high runes.

Edit: Bulwark

Sand Monster fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Mar 14, 2024

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Tal Rasha's Crest is also a good and not terribly uncommon pickup for an A2 Merc.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I had the runes for Treachery but my best 3 slot armour was a Templar Coat so I thought I'd just farm Stony Tomb with 0MF to find a good base.

Instead I get this.

At least my merc can wear it. :backtowork:

Edit: He doesn't have enough strength.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006
For the act 2 Merc the following are popular:
Bulwark, cure, tal helm, g face, or vamp gaze for helmets.

Smoke, treachery for armor.

Insight, obedience, reapers toll for a weapon.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

I tried Treachery and it seems to be helping a lot even though my defence number went down (I guess Fade owns).

Also lmao seriously.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chucat posted:

I tried Treachery and it seems to be helping a lot even though my defence number went down (I guess Fade owns).

Also lmao seriously.

The lower the defense, the more he's hit, the more fade can proc.

BasicLich
Oct 22, 2020

fade is insanely good and it last for got drat ever

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Yeah so Treachery is helping a lot, I lucked out and got an Eth Colossus Voulge which I Larzuked up and put Insight into again, which helps a bit more, I'm basically just waiting for Lifesteal now.

It's crazy that this is the first time I've done a run like this and not seen a Tal helm, since that'd probably solve all my problems (temporarily).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

Chucat posted:

Yeah so Treachery is helping a lot, I lucked out and got an Eth Colossus Voulge which I Larzuked up and put Insight into again, which helps a bit more, I'm basically just waiting for Lifesteal now.

It's crazy that this is the first time I've done a run like this and not seen a Tal helm, since that'd probably solve all my problems (temporarily).

Bulwark has dr and life steal and is cheap