Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

If it's that easy to do it, while also being easy to fail to activate it by not having read about it, they should just... make her always have that bonus. But oh well.

Also, very disappointed my chosen starting class of Goku is not one of the poll options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I'm down for all kinds of quirky silliness, but it just seems particularly rough when it'll be people locking their character out of something permanently for no good reason. You only get one chance to "activate" the bug per difficulty, right?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Grimdude posted:

I don't even farm countess or anything else really for a while. Just keep playing until you can't progress further tbh. Later content will drop better stuff anyway.
I got the stuff I needed for Stealth in literally 2 countess kills, including the quest one. Seems kinda worth for a beginner armor that'll last a few hours and is good on other new characters too if you have room to keep it.

Man the music sounds insanely good, I'm really impressed by this overall but I'm blown away by the audio while playing on headphones.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Pretty wild seeing a bunch of people in lobby with the title that means they cleared Nightmare already...

More surprising that they were even able to play that consistently, but I guess the server issues are maybe super region-dependent.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Psychepath posted:

If anyone was thinking about playing with a controller on pc and then using the mouse for inventory stuff, it's nearly unplayable that way. There's a half second pause as you switch because the interface completely reloads, but it also means that bringing up the inventory with the controller will close it as soon as you click on something in it. I don't know if I missed an option but it's really annoying that they didn't let you pick and choose which interface to use permanently.
Yeah I mentioned I could see myself switching, and I meant more like switching every now and then for when I have serious hoard management issues or whatever. Constantly switching back is definitely a no-go for now, but hopefully I'll get used to the controller-only stuff. Honestly it didn't seem bad to me.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Welp I am fully addicted all over again.

Anyone else encountered a strange bug where the game fails to erase your old minimaps when starting new games? I'm doing some Countess NM runs to get dem Sol runes, and when I leave and create a new game to do it again really fast I'm finding the old Tower minimap overlayed on top of the one I'm currently discovering. Makes it super confusing, it feels like using a malfunctioning maphack or something.

Also, for controller players, I only just noticed that if you hold L and then activate a potion it uses it on your mercenary. In the original I dunno if I ever realized if there was a keybind for that action, so I was only able to help my bro out by dragging the potion onto his portrait with a mouse..... this is a gamechanger!

edit: lol and it'll build up like 3 maps' worth of info all at once! where go, plz halp:

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 25, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Anyone have advice on what armor/helm to pop on an Act 2 NM merc just to keep them reasonably alive as I level and run through NM difficulty? I'm running a blizzard sorceress, feelin' good, and will go for a cheapo Insight if I get a natural 4-slot polearm drop, but I feel like it's hard to keep my merc bro from blowing up extremely fast sometimes. Does defense actually matter much at these levels?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Ok cool, I've definitely been learning to love the TP merc-save maneuver. Are you saying the cost to revive the merc is based on my personal gold? Or does the shared stash thing just affect the loss when I die?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

coelomate posted:

Just helps with the loss of gold when your character dies. Resurrect cost is a straight line formula based on the mercs level, caps out at 50,000 gold.

I'd be broke by now from corpse-rushing through nightmare if I didn't stash my nest egg in The National Bank of Shared Stash Tab 1.
Oh, well, psh, I just never die. :smug:

Nah actually thanks, I forgot (or never knew) the shared stash would help me commit tax evasion. I was just gonna gamble for Gulls with it to avoid big losses. I got owned repeatedly on some NM countess runs where like 3 packs of dudes including elite mobs and uniques just..... hang out exactly where I pop out after going downstairs, and bop me in the face before I can do anything.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Kind of amazing that this is probably gonna be the game that finally convinces me to get a bigger SSD.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Oof... it's been so long since I messed around with my PC parts that I somehow kinda forgot that I've never bothered to upgrade from 8 to 16gb of RAM. I think that's been surprisingly punishing with this game! With that and a bigger SSD that can fit this and other bidyogamez I hope I'm in for some smooth gaming soon.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well all this spooky skeleton talk convinced me to start a Hardcore Necromancer run.

Sadly I've finally been hit with the mysterious server issues and can't actually play with any characters at the moment... at least I can still see them though! I guess the game is telling me to take a break.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

all my characters are "in another game" or can't connect to servers, or just straight up fail to join games. is there nothing i can do but wait for blizzard?
This is definitely a "wait for blizzard" situation.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Lol, soloing the ancients on Hell difficulty as a sorceress sucks. Still did it though!!

People mentioned maybe Cold Mastery was misbehaving and too powerful or something? I dunno, I've just been shocked how smoothly I was able to solo to the end of hell with just self-found stuff and budget runewords and stuff on a Blizz sorc... I haven't even used a respec!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Well, I guess I didn't level it to that point, or piercing immunity that way is SO slow that it's not even really useful. I was wondering if they accidentally changed the way enemy resistance worked in general or something, but I think Blizz sorc + Fire Wall is just Easy Mode.

Also lol, I was frustrated I never found a 4-socket polearm but then ended up getting a random Kelpie's Snare, along with an extra Tal Rasha mask and a reasonable unique armor with some more lifesteal. My merc ended up really beefy, and it turns out 75% slow on bosses is absolutely insane. As long as he gets a first hit on them he can mostly just stand there poking a boss for the entire fight and I can just heal him maybe once.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

gently caress off Batman posted:

Assassins can open locked chests without keys. If you aren't one, then yeah it's a bug.
In other words, they can save inventory space! That makes it the most powerful ability in the game.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

wait what /players doesn't work online and only works offline??? how are you supposed to get phat XP in multiplayer then?
By uhmm... multiplayering

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

m.hache posted:

Recommendations for a transition out of Fire Weapons wise? I'm using Leaf and the buffs are just so good for fireball.

Any other hot runewords I'm overlooking?
Spirit is the next obvious budget weapon for casters. +2 all skills, faster cast rate, +max mana, some great +resist... And it opens your shield slot too! (Rhyme is a great cheap shield runeword btw)

A common method to get a 4-socket 1-hand weapon for an easy Spirit is to farm the Normal cow level for a normal crystal sword, and then use your act 5 larzuk quest to socket it. Later crystal swords can have 6 slots but getting them from that area should ensure it only ends up with 4.

I'm comfortably still using Spirit and Rhyme at level 76, they're kinda nuts for how reasonable they are to acquire.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also check out the Lore runeword for helmets! It can take a few runs to get Sol runes from the Countess, but it'll also last you quite a while.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The Shortest Path posted:

Ive known about Andariel but I had never heard of that Duriel quest glitch before. Thanks a lot.

I remember hearing about Frozen Orb being the generic cookie cutter build for sorc a long rear end time ago, was that just before synergies were added?
Yeah I'm no expert but it seems like Frozen Orb almost completely lacking synergies means it would work better as the "off-element" skill for Fire or Lightning sorceresses who need something against immune monsters.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

vyst posted:

Update i cleared maggot lair again and no shaft in the chest so now there’s uhh no way for me to rebuild the staff to kill Duriel ever unless I pray I get in a party lol
I believe the hole to Duriel's room should still be open.

BUT

the big trick that I think may be happening is that I'm pretty sure the symbol of the "true tomb of Tal Rasha" gets shuffled when you make a new game. So if you hopped back in and went straight back to the same symbol because you remembered it you may have been bamboozled (btw the symbol shows up in your journal in case you didn't realize)

e: wait... you said your sixth quest for act 2 is showing as completed?? that's odd it doesn't complete normally until Meshif takes you to Kurast

e2: maybe check if you can talk to Meshif in town and get sent to Kurast, or check if the game somehow gave you the waypoint...... maybe despite getting your rear end kicked Duriel also died to something you casted? that's all I got

Martman fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 28, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Once again, so many problems in this game can be solved by simply never dying.

Anyway I went on a very stubborn and silly quest to gamble with Gheed for a Gull dagger. It's an otherwise crappy unique one-hander that gives +100% magic find, making it great for any class that can swap to a lovely weapon and still easily secure kills on bosses. Cost me about two million gold, but you better believe I got that poo poo personalized by Anya immediately.

Seriously though, don't gamble for uniques. It's a .05% chance for any gambled item to be unique, and this dagger is maybe the only case where you can be sure that you'll get the good unique you're looking for.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

codo27 posted:

I thought...I thought gambling for uniques was a launch thing (OG) that was long, long since patched out?
https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Gambling

quote:

Post v1.09, the odds to determine item quality are fairly simple:

Unique: 1/2000 (.05%)
Set: 2/2000 (.1%)
Rare: 200/2000 (10%)
Magical: 1797/2000 (89%)
Generally it would probably be way easier to try to farm Coldcrow in the Normal Caves in the Cold Plains of Act 1, but my games have been starting pretty slow and the minimap bug was driving me crazy!!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

yay

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

A lot of getting through hell is accepting that you can just avoid a ton of mobs. When you actually definitely have to kill something, if you really want to solo, yeah you'll pretty much need some other damage solution than your main element.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Generally when things are reviving, that means there's some other mob somewhere reviving them.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Sipher posted:

That clears it up a lot, thanks!
This Diablo wiki is also pretty nice for sorting through a lot of this stuff:

https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Rune_Words

If you go to the table at the bottom of that entry, you see there are four different links for Armor Rune Words, Helm Rune Words, Shield Rune Words, and Weapon Rune Words. Click through on each and you can see that for Armor, Helm, and Shield, literally all that matters is the number of sockets. Different item types have different max socket numbers, but as long as the item has the correct amount of total sockets and is not Magical, Rare, or Unique, it can make the relevant rune word.

In the weapon section you can see that certain weapon rune words only apply to certain weapon types (i.e. Swords, Polearms, Missiles, etc.). This is what leads to some people accidentally putting Insight runes into a spear instead of a polearm, resulting in... well, four runes worth of crappy buffs.

I really like that site 'cause it lets you easily sort by number of sockets, or highest rune required (i.e. level required basically), or weapon type.

The one weird quirk I had to read about is that "Superior" versions of items are not actually Magical, even though they have blue names when unsocketed. It sounds silly but the important thing for rune words is, only items with grey names allow rune words.

Martman fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 29, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Mr. Kurtz posted:

My Hammerpally has that Vigor skill which is also nice for this lol. At level 80 whatever he is it boosts stamina by like 500% and run/walk by a lot. Fun build - never did one before despite 1000 plus hours on vanilla.

Anyone know what's the most viable poison build on any class? I'm not really expecting it to be BEST for a class; just want something kinda fun and different.

Also, massive thanks to that goon who posted the Nvidia settings. Helped me out a ton :3:
I actually just started a Poison Necromancer, and as far as I know it's the best poison stuff and it's extremely simple. Early game build however you want, then respec after around level 31 (I think) into the left side of the poison/bone tree. Those three skills all synergize with each other so it's extremely simple, and even in hell Poison Immunity is pretty rare. You only need like 60 skill points for the core of the build so after the poison stuff you're kinda free to experiment with what else you want from the class.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

So this is a sincere question. Is the Zod rune "good" just because it's rare? Or is it actually good?

The description on the wiki says it makes whatever you slot it into indestructible. Is that worth caring about? Isn't it super cheap to repair gear? Does it do other stuff or something I'm missing?
I think there are weird cases where some Rare or Unique armor can roll as ethereal and be really good with the extra defense that comes with that and worth making it indestructible. But that's not gonna be a common need.

Mostly it's just absurdly rare and the one runeword it's used in is really good afaik.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Speaking of wacky uniques, I was helping a goon and we found the Nature's Peace ring. It gives prevent monster heal, poison resist, damage reduction, and 5 levels of oak sage, cool, whatever.....

but it also gives Slain Monsters Rest in Peace. A modifier that's completely unique to this item, it causes monster corpses to be unusable by enemies and allies alike with spells like revive and corpse explosion. So uhh hey for that person wondering about endlessly rezzing monsters that's one option.

The funny part is before helping them I jokingly called dibs on all the SoJs that would drop, then we saw a unique ring drop from Hell Duriel and there was a very awkward pause until we got a look at this and went "wtf is that"

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Baal dropped my first ever soj, awwww yeah!!! Both this and my Ber rune drop were acquired while being extremely inefficient and casual, today I was running all of Countess/Andy/Meph/Pindle/Baal in Hell each game because my load times have been lovely, and my Baal runs are slow as gently caress on cold sorc.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Firewall was only good when Bloody Foothills was enough to get you to level 99 because the terrain and the mobs were made in such a way that you could always land Firewalls that could deal their full damage on mobs that were stuck and unmoving

It's not really a great spell nowadays in any other context
It kills Hell Andy in like 1 second!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Regarding runes, should I just smash together these baby runes I'm finding and not worry about them until NM or HL:
I generally like to keep a couple copies of most runes and just smash them together when you get too many of one, to save space.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Congrats on your chipped sapphire. I can handle that other trash for you

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Also especially with respecs being easily infinitely farmable, no one should really hamper any phase of their progression in pursuit of some epic lategame power.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

is farming the drops for the non-Akara respecs... easy? I'm honestly asking because I've never spent enough time in Hell or needed the respecs that badly
It's literally just boss kills, unaffected by magic find afaik. The rates aren't amazing (they're around 1/50 I think, but Meph just dropped two at once for me a few runs ago) but as long as you can get to a point where you can kill any of the Hell bosses consistently, you can build them up and trade them without much trouble. And luckily Duriel kills aren't needed.

The full respec tokens are going for like 125 forum gold on d2jsp, which is between an Um or Mal rune or so, so from normal play you'll probably have gotten something you could easily trade in-game for.

e: oops I may be wrong on the odds, it may be like 1/50 per roll with multiple rolls per boss kill.

Martman fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 4, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Awww hell yeah, a friendly goon helped me do (read: carried me completely through) Uber Tristram for a very reasonable fee and I got pretty drat lucky on the first try:

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think the biggest issue right now with the Ubers situation economically is that sorceress and paladin torches are just in so much higher demand than the others that the investment is not necessarily super worth it for the 2/7 shot of your torch even mattering. It's definitely nice using goon services for stuff like that though, so you may find opportunities more comfortably in the discord.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Good Citizen posted:

If you get a white monarch, is it better to try to trade it as is or roll to try to 4 socket it first? I already have my spirit monarch so just looking from a value perspective?
It is probably better to not try to cube socket it, either leave it or use a Larzuk quest on it. Characters can be rushed through normal mode pretty darn fast so Larzuk quests aren't a huge concern, and cubing is fairly likely to result in the shield not being very useful for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

With the Monarch there is actually a 3/6 or coin-flip chance it rolls 4 sockets in the cube recipe, because 4 is the max so if it rolls 5 or 6 it gets 4.
Welp, I should always remember that there is a layer of stuff I will have forgotten about basically every mechanic in this game