Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

That Italian Guy posted:

Do we know already if the Andariel bug has been patched or is Resurrected going to include all the glorious meta-stuff from LoD? Or in general: do we have patch notes for the new "patch"?

EDIT: for the unaware/new players, LoD had a bug that increased the chance to find high sought after items when killing the Act 1 Boss (after defeating her, you can immediately town portal back to town, talk to Warriw (the npc that gates you to Act 2), get to act 2 and save/quit. This way, you always get the "killed this Act Boss for the first time" boost to MF whenever you kill her, forever.

I believe the devs confirmed that the Act 1 boss drop/loot bug would deliberately be allowed to persist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
can you still do the "/playersx" command in D2R?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ultrachrist posted:

gonna wait to see if I can pick this up used some time down the line, but was absorbing some nostalgia looking at gameplay. I was curious what the PS4 trophies would be and there's one for leveling a hardcore character to 99! Wasn't reaching 99 an insane grind in the og version? I remember something like... you hit the late 80s, maybe early 90s and then it takes weeks.

characters get full XP from monsters within 5 levels of them. a larger gap starts imposing a penalty, and you can do a 7-level gap before it gets too painful (with an 8-level gap, you'd only be receiving 36% of the XP you'd normally get)
since all monsters are set to the level of the "area", it's really the level of the area that matters

Nightmare difficulty Act 5 ends at area level 66, so characters can get to level 72 by the end of Nightmare (and should before going to Hell, really), with 74 possible if you're willing to grind Baal runs

Hell Act 1 ends at area level 73, so you can do up to character level 78
Hell Act 2 ends at area level 79 (ish), so you can do up to character level 84
Hell Act 3+ will support area levels that will make character level 85 reachable

There's a second layer of XP multiplier: at character level 70+, there's a penalty to XP earned on top of the regular monster level vs character level calculation. A level 70 character is only earning 95% of the XP they otherwise shoud. A level 80 character is only earning 48% of the XP they should, and so on.

When you're at character level 98, you have a 13 level gap with pretty much every monster, so you're only getting 5% XP from them, and then the high-character-level penalty reduces that further to 0.59% of 5%

so yeah getting to 99 is... not to expected except for the most dedicated

https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Area_Level
https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Experience

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
lol it's 1 AM here and I can't start a game

I'm going to go to bed instead of hammering at this

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
When burning crusade launched they did a 1 hour emergency maintenance that got extended by 1 hour six times

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd like to talk about one of my favorite skills: DIM VISION

It's a Necromancer curse that you can pick up at level 6, with no prerequisites. The mana cost at the very start can be quite steep, but since it doesn't increase with more levels, eventually you can outgrow it.

What it does is, it reduces the sight range of affected monsters to zero. What does that mean?

- monsters can't see you, which means they won't approach you, beeline for you, or chase after you
- melee monsters will just stand where they are, milling around a little, and will only attack if you're right next to them
- ranged monsters will do the same, but specifically they won't shoot their bows or throw their explosives either, since they can't see you
- caster monsters will do the same. No fireballs, no blood stars, no nothing, because they have no target

This is extremely useful because even though Dim Vision does no damage, it effectively shuts down a monster - they're a "mission kill" - they're not attacking, so they're of no consequence to you. If you fight in melee, then you only get to fight one monster at a time. If you're a ranged or caster build, then they don't even get to fight back.

Unique/boss monsters are immune to this curse, BUT that can still work to your advantage - if there's a pack of five balrog minions and their one boss, and you cast Dim Vision that blinds all of them EXCEPT the boss, then the boss will be the only one to approach you, meaning they get isolated from everyone else.

Dim Vision will require a significant points investment in order to get the radius and the duration up, but since it has no prereqs and no synergies required, even if max it out at 20 points, you still have a lot of room for everything else you might want to do, for a curse that can trivialize the game to the point where you can take as long as you want anyway.

Curses that affect monster AI, which includes this and, for example, Confuse, are reduced to 1/4th duration in Hell difficulty, so a level 20 Dim Vision that lasts 55 seconds in Normal difficulty (and half of that in Nightmare) lasts for "only" 13 seconds in Hell, but if you decide to invest heavily into it, then the radius also gets large enough that if you spam Dim Vision at the edge of your screen as you advance forward, you can end up catching monsters before they even appear on the screen.

This is especially powerful when dealing one of the deadliest monsters in the game - Gloams. If you're in Hell Act 3 (or Hell Act 5's Frozen River), you can take this approach of slowly advancing, casting Dim Vision at the edge of your screen, and shut down monsters without them even knowing you're coming. And yes, you may have to recast it a second (or third) time, but you actually can do that, and 13 seconds between recasts is a LONG time to work with.

With a party, this works even better, because now you don't have to worry about your damage output, while at the same time making engagements incredibly safe for everyone involved by limiting the number of active attackers.

Consider using Dim Vision in your next Necromancer build.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Another tip I'd like to share: when entering a new map, (virtually) place your hand on the wall, and follow it around the edges.

In the screenshot above, coming from the purple-colored entrance to Jail level 1 on the lower-left-hand side, I imagined that I placed my right hand on the right-hand wall, and followed it around the edges, going to wherever that leads me.

This lets you clear-out and explore a map systematically, as opposed to just running for the "center" of the map and having to backtrack. Oftentimes, it will lead you to the waypoint, boss, or next-stairs-down faster than a more haphazard approach.

This applies to outdoor maps too, and indeed is easier to do in those cases since the edges of the map are even more explicit.

Of course, you can ignore this if it's a "special" map or a very small map whose lay-out you've gotten used to or can predict, but in a lot of other cases it should help.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

coelomate posted:

Many areas spawn with the exit in a semi-predictable direction: https://d2.maxroll.gg/resources/map-reading

I was using the 'ol mental maphack to zoom my game from A3 normal through baal tonight. God Bless teleport and corpse rushing past problems.

oh wow, yeah when I first knew of this technique, the corollary was that whether you'd follow the left-hand edge, or the right-hand edge, could lead you to the target boss/waypoint/stairs faster

glad that that knowledge has been preserved

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A couple of scattered thoughts:

* the mana regeneration formula in D2 includes maximum mana in its calculation: https://diablo2.diablowiki.net/Mana_regeneration - this means that putting points in Energy, or wearing +Energy or +Mana items will also increase the rate at which you regen mana (and increasing your absolute amount of mana helps since you consume it in "bursts"). Some builds will still want mana steal because they really do consume that much mana that quickly, but for a lot of other builds even just wearing mana bonuses will be enough, and you might consider putting stat points in Energy to make the Normal/Nightmare climb easier to bear, especially if you're going to respec later on anyway.

* one of the things that Diablo 2 does so well, that few others in the ARPG genre have managed to emulate, is the instantaneous loading. It's still so goddamn good so many years later to just blast through maps without a loading screen getting in the way.

* the HD treatment is quite good IMO: the Maggot Lair is even more disgusting, the vipers look absolutely vicious, and there's just a lot of bits of added detail everywhere.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ASenileAnimal posted:

also enjoying my holy freeze paladin and im gonna be sad when it becomes useless in nightmare and i have to respec

you'll be fine. Ever since they added +weapon damage and +pulse damage to Holy Freeze and gave it a damage synergy like Holy Shock it's become a perfectly usable primary aura. A Holy Freeze Paladin is going to be just as viable in Hell as a lot of other melee builds (by which I mean you'll still need a bunch of nice gear eventually, but not so much more than, say, your cookie-cutter Zeal+Fanat)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mesadoram posted:

Does /players 8 affect the drop rate or only XP?

players 8 doesn't improve the QUALITY of drops, but at players 4 you minimize the chances of a monster dropping nothing (and 5 and up doesn't bring any further benefits drop-wise, just more XP in exchange for more monster HP)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm using the Asia region and I've had a rock solid experience over the last 12 hours

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Sand Monster posted:

How do you switch server region?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Martman posted:

Pretty wild seeing a bunch of people in lobby with the title that means they cleared Nightmare already...

More surprising that they were even able to play that consistently, but I guess the server issues are maybe super region-dependent.

I got to the beginning of Act 5 Normal playing very casually today - finishing Nightmare in a day is definitely doable, especially if you're in a coordinated group

if you're all or mostly casters you can avoid a lot of gear requirements since your spells are auto-hit and can do enough damage all by themselves, which means you devote your equipment to resistances and it should work out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it's almost 2 am and I'm sitting in bed itching to go back and play some more but I need to be somewhere tomorrow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Dinurth posted:

Late to the thread so sorry if I missed this already but...

Am I absolutely crazy or did D2R beta not have an option for a "new" control scheme and it let you bind skills to things other than F1-F8? I don't mean in the controls options, I mean by opening the skills and hovering over one like you do with F1-8.

You've always been able to assign skills to hotkeys besides F1 to F8, even in the original D2

You just need to rebind F1 to F8 to a different skill, as with the original D2

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Am I nuts or is there just straight up not a hot key for swapping my weapon sets? I'd really like if this Amazon could switch between bow and spear based on circumstances.

Edit: I think I was playing the Bezelbub D1 mod earlier today and got confused about which games has weapon sets.

press 'W' by default

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bloodly posted:

I guess the 'Ladder Only' restriction on Insight's still there, then?

Insight is supposed to go on polearms, not spears, but people can get confused because the Act 2 merc can equip both

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I just got back from doing groceries and out of sheer curiosity I decided to time how long it took to get online - it took me 1 minute 20 seconds from a fully powered-down computer to standing with my Necromancer in Harrogath

fighting across the Bloody Foothills, blasting Jimmy Eat World... you CAN go home again

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
does anyone know if they ever fixed the bug with the [minus target defense] stat, like you find in the Eth rune when socketed into a weapon?

IIRC, it would instead as a negative multiplier on a target's defense, which would mean you could always hit them because their defense was negative, and that this was more powerful than [ignores target defense] since that stat doesn't work on champions/bosses

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think you might be able to peek using the Unsummon skill but it doesn't really matter because they're not worth saving individually. If any of them die, resummon.

The Act 2 merc with Prayer can help

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So, a bit of history

It used to be that Skelemancers were NOT long-term viable. You'd get one skeleton per point in Raise Skeleton (or one Mage per one point in Skeleton Mage), and Skeleton Mastery would raise their stats, but the stats were never high enough - a single Fire Nova from Diablo would wipe them out, and even with maxed Mastery they'd die to Nightmare-level mobs.

Specializing in Skeleton Mages, back then, did kind of work - their damage was actually decent since you'd get so many of them, but their HP was set to a 78 HP forever with no way to increase it, so if anything so much as breathed on them they'd die and you mostly counted on volley-fire plus the Lower Resist curse plus Golem and Merc tanking to kill anything before it got too close. And you STILL couldn't face down Diablo's Fire Nova.

The later patch that added synergies and whatnot changed all this.

___

Nowadays, the first three points in Raise Skeleton will immediately increase your summons by one, and then you get a new summon every third point (that is, 3 points in RS will give you 3 skeletons, but you don't get the 4th until skill level 4, and you don't get the 5th until skill level 9).

The points in Raise Skeleton will also increase their base damage, attack rating, defense, and HP.

Skeleton Mage works very similar to Raise Skeleton; the first three points yields one Mage per point, then a new Mage every 3rd point thereafter. Points in Skeleton Mage also increases their damage with every point.

Skeleton Mastery, on the other hand, will increase the base HP and the base damage of Skeletons and Mages, and then also increase their HP and their damage by a multiplier.

Assuming you don't want to do the math on the optimal point-spread between Raise and Mastery to yield the best results, and assuming you're planning on going full Skelemancer, the dumbest-but-safe approach is:

- get three points in Raise Skeleton right away (your wand gives you +1 RS but you might as well put three hard points so you can change your wand later)
- put any spare points into maxing Skeleton Mastery ASAP
- get Clay Golem at level 6
- bank one point at level 11
- get Skeleton Mage and Golem Mastery at the same time at level 12
- put two more points into Skeleton Mage
- go back to putting points into Skeleton Mastery
- get Summon Resist at level 24

At the bare minimum, going 3 Raise Skeleton, 20 Skeleton Mastery, 1 Clay Golem, 1 Golem Mastery, 3 Skeletal Mage, 1 Summon Resist should be doable by level 25 (including all skill point rewards from Normal)

This baseline will go up depending on whether you get the better golems, any Curses, or any Poison and Bone Spells (such as Corpse Explosion)

Once you're done with maxing out Skeleton Mastery, pick between Raise Skeleton or Skeletal Mage, and max-out that one.
Once you're done with maxing out one of the summon spells, go ahead and max out the other

Going 20 Raise Skeleton, 20 Skeleton Mastery, 1 Clay Golem, 1 Golem Mastery, 3 Skeletal Mage, 1 Summon Resist should be doable by level 42 (including all skill point rewards from Normal)

Going 20 Raise Skeleton, 20 Skeleton Mastery, 1 Clay Golem, 1 Golem Mastery, 20 Skeletal Mage, 1 Summon Resist should be doable by level 55 (including all skill point rewards from Normal and Nightmare)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Thanks for that; it's a lot of useful and interesting context. I'm currently alt tabbed in the maggot lair because Skelemancer is chill like that.

So, only one point in Clay Golem and Golem Mastery? Just as a prereq? I'm probably (and probably sub-optimally) going to deviate from that some; I like having a Golem that is at least useful, even if they're not the star of the show. In fact, this golem is currently sitting at 1 point in Clay, 1 point in mastery, and the Maggot Lair is juuust starting to make me think the Golem needs another point or two in either skill.

Edit: When I "beat the game" (on Normal) with a Necromancer way back when, it was a pretty even split between Amplify Damage, Clay Golem, and Corpse Explosion, but so far I'm enjoying not having to even cast a couple explosions per fight. If I could set rare and magical items to auto pick up, and to auto refill my belt, I could be even lazier.

It's almost always a good idea, for flexibility and utility's sake, to get one point in all the Golem skills, and all the Curses (perhaps Dim Vision/Confuse/Attract can be skipped if you don't plan on investing heavily into them), and Corpse Explosion (and its prerequisites)

I was just demonstrating how quickly you could finish the build if you were absolutely dedicated to just doing summoning and nothing else (and only skeletons specifically)

Indeed, in the before times when skeletons were not viable, the "summoning" playstyle involved putting lots of points into Golem Mastery (but not the golems themselves, bad investment at the time), and Iron Maiden, and getting enemies to kill themselves on the thorns damage to create one corpse, then corpse-exploding everything.

Flavahbeast posted:

some of these waypoints are seriously out of the way

That's a symptom of Mephisto being a prime farming target for a very long time - the devs patched the Durance maps to be much bigger, and for the level 2 waypoint to always be much farther from the exit.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 26, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The skill floor to do well in Diablo 3 is much lower, and itemization and gearing and skill selection is a lot more intuitive and has zero stakes, but is also different enough from Diablo 2 that I can see why they wouldn't appeal to the same taste equally

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Star Man posted:

Skeleton mages are fuckin useless. The skill doesn't provide any synergies either. Just get the point so you can get to Revive and never think about them again.

Using these pages as a reference:
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Raise_Skeleton
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Skeleton_Mastery
https://diablo.fandom.com/wiki/Skeletal_Mage_Damage

Level 20 Raise Skeleton, and no Mastery, gives the skeletons a base damage of 37 to 39

Level 20 Skeleton Mastery gives the skeletons +40 damage, increasing that base to 77 to 79
Level 20 Skeleton Mastery also gives a percentage increase of +200%, further increasing that to 231 to 237, or an average of 234

The Skeletal Mage damage page already does the calculations for us, and tells us that with level 20 Raise Skeletal Mage and level 20 Skeleton Mastery:

- the Poison Mage deals 97 damage over 300 seconds
- the Cold Mage deals 71 to 74 damage (72.5 average), along with a 29 second Chill effect
- the Fire Mage deals 121 to 125 damage (123 average)
- the Lightning Mage deals 29 to 196 damage (112.5 average)

so that's 31% of a Skeleton's melee swing for the Cold Mage, 52% for the Fire Mage, and 48% for the Lightning Mage (and assuming you just Unsummon and replace any Poison Mages because lol)

in exchange for the attacks being auto-hit, the attacks being ranged, and the attacks being of different element types

I wouldn't call it useless, but I do think it makes the Mages optional in case you want to diversify the build

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

External Organs posted:

Re: skellies, do they have a low chance to crit? I feel like I remember seeing their hits make the little flash but this memory is 15 years old.

Another reason mages aren't as good is because lower resist takes levels to scale and amp damage is great out of the gate.

Pretty much everything has a low (no?) chance to crit in this game outside of a few key items that grant crit chance Deadly Strike, like the unique sword Headstriker

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

Duriel sure is a step up in difficulty for a skelemancer; I went from sleepwalking to repeated deaths. I do wish I could assign left click to be ONLY move, because no, Necromancer, I don't think you're going to last hit the Act 2 boss with your wand, I'm trying to get you to get into the portal.

In the original you could assign Throw as your left-click but it seems D2R won't let you do it if it knows you have a wand

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

I haven't seen a straight answer anywhere, did they make it online-only? I don't give a poo poo about multiplayer unless it's going to gently caress up my SP gaming.

There's an offline mode but you can only ever play by yourself

I'm not sure if the offline mode lets you sidestep the server issues

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are some builds that really only shine with a group, because they can offer excellent utility, but need someone else to do the killing, but in exchange they make the killing real dang easy

Like a Leaper Barb
Or a Monk Paladin
Or a Shockbear
Or an Enchantress Sorc
Or a Mind Blast / Cloak of Shadows Assassin

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Grand Fromage posted:

Did they change it back at some point? There was a patch where they reduced hammer damage and made it stop stacking with concentration, so it went from weird but effective to completely worthless.

Hammerdins were A Thing in classic/pre-expansion Diablo 2

you are correct that in the earlier patches of Diablo 2 Lord of Destruction, Blessed Hammer was changed to no longer gain a benefit from Concentration Aura, while also having its damage reduced hard enough that it was no longer a viable build.

in patch 1.10, the patch that massively overhauled large parts of the skill system, particularly synergies, Blessed Hammer was changed: its damage was increased, its damage would be increased by HALF of Concentration Aura's bonus, and it gained a synergy damage bonus from Vigor and Blessed Aim

this made Hammerdins not only a viable build, but arguably one of the most powerful builds in the game - practically nothing is immune to the Magic damage, and the damage is so strong that a Hammerdin doesn't need offensive stats and can focus on defenses, which makes gearing up cheap/easy

the only drawback is learning how to aim the drat things, and specific maps where aiming the hammers is hard/doesn't work, but those are largely irrelevant since none of them are critical for finishing/farming and can always be done as a group or skipped altogether

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the loot gods have blessed with with a Sol rune - what's the best/easiest way to get a 4-socket polearm for Insight, even if I was willing to burn a Larzuk reward on it?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I had a very nice goon gift me a 4-socket polearm

Is there any way we can build some kind of community for this thread? Coordinating via PMs is less-than-ideal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

gently caress off Batman posted:

It does! I just checked by turning off my PC wifi, the game started and played normally in offline mode, no internet required.

thanks for looking into this. Even after the fall of civilization, we'll still have Diablo 2.

jerman999 posted:

The discord in the first post is pretty active, there's also an lljk chat channel in-game but it's pretty dead

that'll teach me to read the OP! good to know

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
well that's Normal difficulty done at level 34

popped into Nightmare real quick to do Den of Evil for the easy skill point

now to run Normal Baal until 46-ish

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
wait what /players doesn't work online and only works offline??? how are you supposed to get phat XP in multiplayer then?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Martman posted:

Also check out the Lore runeword for helmets! It can take a few runs to get Sol runes from the Countess, but it'll also last you quite a while.

Martman posted:

I'm comfortably still using Spirit and Rhyme at level 76, they're kinda nuts for how reasonable they are to acquire.

between things like this and Leaf and Insight, it's actually pretty easy to build a character that's capable of going through Nightmare and Hell even from the kind of completely-fresh start that we've seen on release (and would presumably see when a Ladder gets deployed)

Diablo 2 has a reputation for being grindy with an outdated completely random loot system, and in some ways it still is, but also the game has gotten a lot better at raising up the minimums. Getting some primo loot is still going to take effort, but at least getting to a place to even start farming for gear is a far more gentle slope than it used to be, or could have been.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
one of the best things that Diablo 3 ever did was to change Blessed Hammers to clip through level geometry so that hitting with them was that much simpler and easier

ASenileAnimal posted:

is dex needed for necromancers? ive just been dumping everything into vitality and energy and adding strength as needed to wear gear.

you don't need Dex except maybe whatever you need for gear... which by extension shouldn't really be a thing except maybe if a shield needs Dex

purists will tell you that you don't need Energy either, but it's fine for a first-time go-round when you don't have nice gear yet and sucking-down mana pots can be tedious

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

GreatGreen posted:

So, just for reference, I've played D3 into the max Torment and beyond with Grifts so I'm relatively familiar with that game. Diablo 3 seems to be about forever pushing the power of your character ever higher by fighting ever stronger enemies. In other words, as your character becomes incrementally more unstoppable, you the player continue to dial up the game world to be incrementally more immovable. Continue forever. However, it's apparently much more straightforward, on rails, and less gently caress-withable than Diablo 2.

With D2, there are only a handful of difficulties, with nothing like the super-granular difficulty knob you can slowly dial up in D3. Are all the difficulty levels fairly straightforward and beatable with just gear you find along the way? Where along the total possible character power curve does the hardest difficulty top out?

Is D2 about the grind for items that will eventually allow you to overcome the huge challenge that is Hell Difficulty? Or does that come fairly easily and so D2 is more about just pushing to make your character as powerful as a god just because that itself is the fun part, pushing against the boundaries of what the game can do?

Normal difficulty can basically be beaten with pure intuition - even if you make some bad assumptions on what certain gear does from a lack of deep knowledge, you can still beat it, and with respecs being a thing, your character isn't forever crippled by having made some uninformed decisions early on

Nightmare difficulty actually requires some level of mastery - a caster gets off easy because their spells never miss, and being ranged means they can avoid a lot of damage just by physically away from enemies/projectiles, but even if you can beat NM with a naked sorc you'd have to know enough to actually use Teleport and Frozen Orb

Hell is a significant step-up in difficulty. You actually need good gear to overcome the resistance penalty, a melee character will need lots of attack rating to hit enemies, everyone will need a second element to overcome whatever's immune to their primary attack, and getting all of that means getting nice gear, even if you have to slum it in Nightmare to farm runes from the Countess and uniques from bosses

If you are playing with a good group, then you can cover for a lot of these holes in Hell through sheer firepower, which reduces the gearing requirements significantly, but... you can't always play in a group, and being able to comfortably solo Hell involves a level of investment that I would say is comparable to a D3 fresh-season start up until about the time you have enough gear to start pushing for Primal Ancients

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
/nopickup is broken in that it turns off gold autopickup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
An even lazier build than a skelemancer is the Summoner Druid.

At level 1, go out and whack things with your club until you hit level 6. Take 1 point in Raven, 1 point in Oak Sage, and 1 point in Summon Spirit Wolf. Summon the Oak Sage and the Spirit Wolf... and you never have to attack again.

Technically when you still only have one wolf, you might want to wade into the fight to click on Fallen Shaman just so they don't resurrect Fallen faster than the one wolf can kill them, but if you're feeling gimmicky you don't even need to do that. Once you get up to three or four Spirit Wolves (by character level 8) then the wolves should be able to kill mobs quickly enough that even the Shamans aren't going to be an issue.

Just keep putting points into Summon Spirit Wolf - it caps out at 5 wolves maximum, but it's okay to keep putting points into it since it provides a synergy to the other two summoning skills.

Once you get to level 18 you can learn Summon Dire Wolf. I wouldn't recommend immediately switching-over to Dire Wolves since you'd only have just one at level 18 - once you get to character level 20, you should have three points in Summon Dire Wolf, which gives you the maximum of three wolves, and you can start using them then since they're stronger than the Spirit Wolves.

You can also take Heart of Wolverine at level 18.

At this point the build is basically complete:

- as you start a new game, summon a Spirit, either HOW or Oak Sage, and your three Dire Wolves
- go out and start having them kill things for you
- if any of them die, resummon them
- you can also do a hard unsummon-resummon to force a loose wolf to reposition itself
- if you're facing down a particularly difficult champion/boss, drop a Grizzly on it

20 points each in Summon Spirit Wolf, Summon Dire Wolf, Summon Grizzly, plus prerequisites, plus 1 point in Heart of the Wolverine comes out to 63 points, which you should get to by character level 55, counting all the skill points from Normal and Nightmare quests.

After that, you still have a little room - you have another 15~19 points from level 55 to 70. You could take points in Shapeshifting, just enough to get a 5-hit Fury and a modest amount of Lycanthropy, but you probably don't have enough points to get a decent Elemental attack.

Alternatively you could double-down on the summoning theme and spend the rest of your points on the spirit: Heart of Wolverine is the more solo-friendly choice since it boosts the damage of the wolves and you don't need the Oak Sage HP since you can always resummon anyway, but maybe you also like Oak Sage if you're playing with other people and they prefer that bonus.

Another possible investment would be taking enough points in Shapeshifting to get Shock Wave, and then spamming that on enemies to keep them stunned while the Wolves do the killing.

Why would you want to do this?

The Summoner Druid is potentially even slower than a Summoner Necro - no Corpse Explosion. No utility from curses, either.

In exchange, Druid summoning isn't limited by corpses. The Maggot Lair isn't nearly as painful because you can always just do a hard summon of a wolf down a tunnel.

Boss fights are also in some cases easier to do: a particularly strong boss might kill skeletons and then you run out of corpses and then the Necro is boned (pun intended), but for a Druid as long as the boss doesn't kill the wolves (or the grizzly!) faster than the Druid can cast resummons and chug down mana pots, the boss is going to get tanked regardless.

Because the Druid never needs to land that first hit to get that first corpse, then he's arguably even more "gear independent" than a Necro. You can do all this naked, and the only thing you'd be missing is more mana and defenses. As a corollary, any gear you decide to wear can be targeted towards, say, melee combat if you want to wade in and fight, or something to sustain spamming Shock Wave, or even just resistances so you can survive Hell easier.

The drawback, of course, is that the summons only ever do Physical Damage, which means there are a few segments of Hell where you're going to struggle due to Physical Immunes, but this is not really that much worse than a lot of melee characters, and a Skelemancer that leans a lot on Skeleton Warriors isn't going to be that much better.

Finally, and perhaps most importantly, the complete lack of interactivity makes this the perfect podcast-listening build.