Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I've never played D2 but have put hundreds of hours into D3 and probably none of that knowledge will translate backwards to here, but I look forward to bumbling around on the PS4 version when it unlocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

From the perspective of a D3 player, it's going to be funny going back when the only points of reference for the Demon Lords are Belial and Azmodan, so seeing actually threatening demons will be nice.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It might be worth mentioning any quirks like this for completely new D2 players, as there's going to be a lot of people playing on the console side who won't have touched it previously.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So, as a new D2 player that intro cutscene was better than every cutscene in D3 combined, nice to finally meet Gheed after years of Kadala talking about him as well.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I said come in! posted:

The writing for Diablo 2 is so much better. For whatever reason Diablo 3 is written as a saturday morning cartoon.

Diablo 3 feels like it was written by the WoW team because everything is just EPIC and LOUD and villains constantly phone you to go "haha foolish mortal, you suck and are bad".

I've not gotten far yet, I've just beaten Blood Raven as a Sorc but sadly my hired helper was shot dead by skeletons in a nearby cave.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

You can feed your merc potions by dragging them to their portrait :eng101:

Also you can get them ressed in town by talking with the person that gave them to you, for a price.

Well I have enough potions, I think I have like 50 of the things in my storage chest as well as a lot of item identification scrolls.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Yeah I can't really see what benefits stamina brings when all it seems to do is stop me running for a while, so I instead spend half my time powerwalking everywhere.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Here's more thoughts for you all from a new D2 player who only has D3 as their previous experience!

So I've just beaten the Countess and got an Eth Rune which I assume is used for something later, I was pretty concerned going through the tower as my Ice/Lightning Spells felt a little weak but that all changed when I unlocked the Lightning ability which just blows everything away in a straight line.

I also now understand the complaints D2 fans had when D3 released because yeah, yeah it really does feel like the D3 team didn't care for the slower tone and more deliberate pacing of D2, an example of this would be the lead up to the Skeleton King where I am fighting hundreds of skeletons and having the King going "WAHAHAHA FOOLISH MORTAL" from time to time.

This point was mentioned earlier in the thread but there's been none of that up to the current point and it feels so much better.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Oh hey it's Deckard Cain, nice to see him before he got blown up by the Butterfly Lady in Diablo 3.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Andariel was a fun fight even if I did spend all of it just running around in circles while she stomped angrily after me, her poison's nasty though my follower never stood a chance.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I've located the Horadric Cube, the one everyone in D3 refers to as a piece of poo poo that is inferior to Kanai's Cube.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

That Italian Guy posted:

You take that back, OG Cube or bust!

It's not me who said it but the best character in the franchise, Zoltun Kulle.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Well I seem to have hit a bit of a problem, Duriel killed me before I had even loaded into the room and everytime I go back to try and get my gear I'm just dead again.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

nerox posted:

They really did keep it just like the original. :allears:

It's a bit rude to have a boss camping the door so you load in dead, my Sorc really doesn't like being hit.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So I decided to create an Assassin and I'm having a lot of fun just sprinting across the maps and killing everything in sight, of course I'm also sprinting just as fast in the other direction when I run into a room full of archers/mages.

And those loving scarab beetles that shoot lightning in every direction are real annoying as a melee character.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Bold Robot posted:

Yeah, is there an option to turn off cutscene text? If so where is it? Getting tired of seeing [eerie music].

Speaking of music I'm really enjoying D2's music since it actually fits the mood and some places can be pretty spooky due to it, the Jail and Catacombs in Act 1 are fine examples of this, D3's music was just too dramatic in general and consisted of really loud orchestral pieces that drowned everything out.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So I just went to the Chaos Sanctuary for the first time and why are there so many Oblivion Knights, there's hundreds of them, Diablo by comparison was a joke, my lightning turrets just shot him dead without much fuss.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

What's with these goddamn skeletons in Act 5 who constantly revive, they could at least wait until I'd moved more then 3 feet away.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Martman posted:

Generally when things are reviving, that means there's some other mob somewhere reviving them.

I thought that but the skeletons in the Ice Caves were just picking themselves up and nothing else was around.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Surprisingly I've not had any problems killing stuff on Nightmare as a Lv 39 Trap specced Assassin, I've just been throwing down Death Sentries and blowing up everything in the area.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I don't really think my merc can do much in nightmare act 2, he eats poo poo the instant a swarm of lightning scarabs appears on screen, as do I if I don't run away throwing traps behind me.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I still say Leah got screwed over worse than Deckard Cain did, at least he got a mostly dignified death.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

So here's my experience of NM Mephisto after beating his rear end on normal and the rest of the thread saying he''s easy:

Set up Death Sentries and Lightning Sentries and proceed to spend half an hour running in circles as Meph floats after me firing lightning bolts at my rear end and then he drops garbage gear on his eventual death.

It wasn't as easy as people, who I am aware are 20 year vets, made it seem.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Mustached Demon posted:

Inferno Act 2 boss was basically a bullet hell game.

Belial? You were straight hosed if you didn't start running when the meteors started dropping.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

This is why I just play offline, I don't have to deal with any of the above mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

coelomate posted:

Yeah, the issue is the database(s) that save characters and authenticate accounts getting slammed, especially by rapid game creation.

The game sends and receives a tiny amount of data, although I think they're encrypting it (better) this time around.

It sounds like they put a lot of effort into hardening anti-dupe measures, which probably lol increased database load even more lol.

You can also add in that 20 years ago it was a purely PC game whereas now there's players on PS/Xbox/Switch also logging in alongside the core PC audience.