Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is your starting class?
Amazon
Assassin
Barbarian
Druid
Necromancer
Paladin
Sorceress
View Results

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the new OP - lookin' good.

The d2.maxroll.gg guides and character builder are very handy. Very much so if, like me, you never played D2 with respecs. You can actually use those dead-end skills that are only good in even early normal difficulty! I'm looking forward to taking advantage of them and not having to rely on mooching XP in BAALS_BALLS_69 to push my end-game perfect builds to level 65+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

crondaily posted:

What should I make my oath in on a frenzy barb? Was going to pair it with a lawbringer pb in my off hand. I don't need perfect min/max as I'm more of a casual player.

It's a shame to make an Oath, which adds indestructibility, in a non-ethereal weapon. Any ethereal elite that will auto 4-socket from Larsuck is your best bet - Cryptic Sword for a faster weapon, Small Crescent for bigger damage if you have more IAS.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Merc bug was the best way to handle this but welp. Cows are brutal on any non teleport haver's Merc cause they hit like a truck and A2 mercs love to walk into swarms of them. You need pretty good gear on them even for NM cows.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
May want to check out energy shield builds - with the manaburn fix they are viable again and you can actually put points into energy rather than dumping into vitality.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

AlbertFlasher posted:

It was a team of guys and they did exactly the strategy you mentioned. It took him 138 hrs. He slept I think about 34 hrs during that time so about 4-5 hrs a day. The rest of the time he was grinding.

That's actually considerably less degenerate than I would have guessed. I certainly have had worse gaming stints in my past (epic weapon camps in Everquest come to mind).

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

SuperKlaus posted:

ES doesn't work on poison. I'm doing an enchantress gimmick with huge mana investment, ES, and big integer reduction from Gerke's shield and Iron Pelt armor, and poison is my bane.

Clearly need an A5 Merc with plague.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Leveled up a smiter as a zealadin using all the largely worthless unique weapon drops that MFing had turned up (tan do li ga, ginther's rift, butchers pupil, etc) but then lucked into a hand of blessed light. 1 Respec later, FOH/holy bolt + smite is legit - very good for chaos sanc and is gonna add a lot more pack clearing utility for Uber runs.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I actually have lightly specced into conviction - smite doesn't need 20+20 smite+holy shield investment when you're stacking crushing blow. If it ends up being useless I still have respecs available, but I feel like it will be good for sorc buddies since none of us are rich enough for an infinity yet.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Yeah it's at high teens right now with skill bonuses, but I'm aware that breaking immunities is a bigger challenge than most people realize. It's more the lack of impact of additional points in smite driving the decision than anything else.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Potentially stupid question but it seems like runeword stuff carries pretty hard; if you’re using the appropriate ones for it - caster, melee, etc - are you fine to skip stuff like leveling guides and just go straight into a build you prefer to play?

It's possible to level with some end game builds but the order that you invest in skills may not be optimal or even included in guides that assume a fresh respec at 75 as a starting point.

Other endgame builds are absolutely miserable to level with (or require a good supply of lower level gear to grow into and out of as you level) and it's much more fun to use the 3 free respecs to dabble in something temporarily powerful to get you going instead.

What class and build are you thinking about?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Good write-up for anyone wanting to farm sunder charms, assuming all the numbers are accurate: https://www.reddit.com/r/diablo2/comments/xmciop/rarity_of_sundering_charms_tz_info/

tl;dr is go farm terrorized Andy

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Hey - people might actually (try to) farm Duriel when he's terrorized! That's new!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Molten boulder is not best spell but it is the most limp bizkit spell because you keep rollin’ rollin’ rollin’

Molten boulder should really have effective damage potential on par with blizzard given how insanely awkward but also fun it is to use. So satisfying to watch little shits get run over and die.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There are exceptions to this: Angelic Rainment is top tier low-mid gear, and partial Sigon's is nice too for anyone hitting/shooting.

There's some earlier unique armors and hats that have life leech for mercs.

But yeah, overall, especially on a first ladder caster character, you're going to have a much easier time getting runes and bases for stealth, spirit, insight, lore, rhyme, ancient's pledge, etc. for mid game and just using whatever magic/rares you find until then.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Adjust base damage on all melee weapons up by:
50% normal
100% exceptional
150% elite

It's not balanced and definitely not completely fixed but it's a step in the right direction without requiring skills revamps or tinkering with individual ED%.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Holy fire works fine until A4 NM. Then you've got too many big hp fire res/immunes running around. Hammers and FoH/HB both work great at that point, and FOH/HB is especially amazing in Chaos Sanc but you'll suffer a bit in A5 NM and beyond with FoH/HB compared to hammers.

Unless you definitely want to try leveling and progressing with FoH/holy bolt, hammers are going to be easier to get through hell. Can't really afford to spec in both while leveling but you can around 75-80 for sure.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Got these off corpsefire in hell den on my trapsin. Among the best rares I've ever self found. This early in ladder I'm tempted to sell to fund other things I'm too lazy to farm. Any D2JSP experts want to give me advice?

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
E;FB

Spirit runes are common enough that it's not a big deal to get more, so don't wait for perfect bases. Any 4os that drops without needing a larsuck is fine.

Defense is the least important thing on a shield base: res all and then block % are the most important bits. Max res all is 45, and a Sacred Targe has the best block chance at 60%, so keep that in mind before you waste a larsuck.

https://diablo-archive.fandom.com/wiki/Paladin_Shields_(Diablo_II)

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I ended up playing on EU from the US East coast multiple times this weekend because NA was constant rubberbanding. I'll take the ping hit if it means I can actually move full speed.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Wow, 23 years of insight and design discovery they didn't think to make Duriel a not completely unfun and garbage fight that rewards you with worthless junk for your trouble.

Literally the best drops I've gotten from Duriel this ladder:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

big cummers ONLY posted:

Holy Freeze is the main alternative I see but I like Might too much, especially on characters where merc damage is relevant to your clearing ability

Has anyone tried out other mercs extensively? I've used the fire mage on my druid summoner which seemed okay. I'm interested in how the barbarian holds up. 20 years of A2 mercs means I don't want to use them for awhile.

Szabi's set (sword, armor, helm) + Lawbringer PB on an A5 merc is supposed to be pretty good for builds that don't need insight. Haven't tried it myself.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Enigma is obviously great but it's certainly not needed to do well. Hammerdin can get dual spirit and max block with very low stat/skill investment, and hammers blow any sorc skill except Blizzard away for damage output with similar levels of gear investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://www.d2jsp.org/ and it's not even close, but it's also the least new player friendly/intuitive.

I've previously done stuff with traderie on D2R with good luck, but not sure how it is now this far from the release rush.