Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So i just found out a friend of mine is about a thousand dollars into NFTs through some NFT service called VeeVee or something. I happen to know he does not have a thousand dollars in fun burn money so that seems bad to me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

projecthalaxy posted:

So i just found out a friend of mine is about a thousand dollars into NFTs through some NFT service called VeeVee or something. I happen to know he does not have a thousand dollars in fun burn money so that seems bad to me?

Well someone else now has a thousand dollars in burn money which seems good, so on the balance

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

Well someone else now has a thousand dollars in burn money which seems good, so on the balance

yeah. He was explaining that he's waiting for his position to hit 1200 before he cashes out and all I can do is say "yeah but how about now tho?"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
maybe he shouldn't be your friend anymore

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I have a coworker who apparently put up tens of thousands of dollars a couple weeks ago to build a bitcoin mining rig, right before things went to poo poo. Apparently a close friend of his who was assembling it killed himself. While I have nothing but the deepest contempt for crypto and everything to do with it, its kind of shocking to see someone 2 degrees separated from me die because of it. And now I have to be nice to my coworker.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Palladium posted:

maybe he shouldn't be your friend anymore

Yeah I've thought that before. He's a nice guy just prone to getting involved in get rich quick schemes. He started a podcast a few years ago that lasted two episodes and totalled seven downloads, tried to get people in our office to pool our resources and buy some $5000 house in Michigan to flip (I asked how he was going to improve it, he responded "no you just buy them and sell them for more!"), now this. I feel somewhat tired of trying to dissuade him but unfortunately i will (theoretically) still be sitting 8 feet away from him 40 hrs a week so i try to stay cordial due to my fear of confrontation.

E: i guess my point here is does anybody have any experience with deprogramming a crypto brained individual

projecthalaxy has issued a correction as of 13:58 on May 20, 2022

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Mr. Lobe posted:

I have a coworker who apparently put up tens of thousands of dollars a couple weeks ago to build a bitcoin mining rig, right before things went to poo poo. Apparently a close friend of his who was assembling it killed himself. While I have nothing but the deepest contempt for crypto and everything to do with it, its kind of shocking to see someone 2 degrees separated from me die because of it. And now I have to be nice to my coworker.

I have a coworker who I knew was into crypto. When Terra imploded and everything else sunk I asked if he was doing okay. He smiled and said that he's doing great! He has no exposure to coins or crypto: his portfolio is 100% NFTs. :)

He followed that up with noting that a friend of his back home did off himself because of Luna.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How many fuckin people can have actually killed themselves over this poo poo

Surely a lot of these have got to be urban legends

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

aphid_licker posted:

I agree. That's what makes it feel so wild irl when someone says out loud that they personally know someone who did. What do you say?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

A guy my dad knows did like 20 years ago when his web 1.0 penny stock margin scheme crashed and he was like -600K. Its not just a crypto thing.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

webcams for christ posted:

I agree. That's what makes it feel so wild irl when someone says out loud that they personally know someone who did. What do you say?

If they were close, "I'm sorry for your loss". If they weren't, "wow, that's crazy".

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
always, always keep in mind when somebody says they're up $1,000,000 that doesnt mean that they have a million dollar bills. it means they're looking at a chart and their 10,000 coins cost $100 each to purchase, and they don't understand liquidity or spreads, and think that they could just cash it all out at that price. it's almost never realized gains.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

aphid_licker posted:

Anytime one of the currency dips people start posting the suicide hotline numbers in the currency's subreddit.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Karl Barks posted:

Yeah they do in the marketing material, with the small print about only USD holdings

Gemini earn does the same thing I’ve had people tell
Me I don’t understand it’s all FDIC insured

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Money ain't even real. Not sure why you'd kill yourself over money that is even less real than real money.

Dustcat
Jan 26, 2019

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Money ain't even real. Not sure why you'd kill yourself over money that is even less real than real money.

these people presumably not only dumped all of their real money into crypto, but leveraged it as far as the exchanges would let them, and now they owe many times more real money than they started out with

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

man i was so sure that this infinite money machine plan would work out

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mr. Lobe posted:

"At least you can still play wicked video games with it, right?"

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
i thought at this point running a bitcoin rig in most states was already a loss compared to the electricity cost?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Vomik posted:

i thought at this point running a bitcoin rig in most states was already a loss compared to the electricity cost?

yes, but bitcoin can only go up, you see, and you'll be sorry when you dont mine and it shoots up to 300k. It's really an investment.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Another Bill posted:

"At least you can still play wicked video games with it, right?"

I have elected not to talk to my coworker about his side of that equation now or ever if i can help it

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Jonny 290 posted:

yes, but bitcoin can only go up, you see, and you'll be sorry when you dont mine and it shoots up to 300k. It's really an investment.

lol. of course - I forgot about that one. hope springs eternal.

let the depressed bitcoin coworker know that it will all be ok he's just getting in on the new ground floor

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Sorry, bad at this site

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽
Oops wrong thread

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

another billion Tether vaporized overnight. down $10 billion / 12% from ATH market cap two weeks ago

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

webcams for christ posted:

another billion Tether vaporized overnight. down $10 billion / 12% from ATH market cap two weeks ago

interesting to see, actually gives some credence to the idea that they are backing the tether with....something.

but the simultaneous dump in BTC price also aligns with the "tether is what's inflating BTC" idea too.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone ever accused Tether of having nothing backing it at all. The issue is whether some of it is out there with nothing behind it so that the actual floor is much, much closer than it seems.

But I purposefully try to purge as much crypto poo poo from my brain as possible, so maybe I'm wrong.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Dustcat posted:

these people presumably not only dumped all of their real money into crypto, but leveraged it as far as the exchanges would let them, and now they owe many times more real money than they started out with

do they not know what bankruptcy is?

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1528833698988269568

Monkey Pox can even go into the virtual world of crypto! :eyepop:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
lmao

https://twitter.com/morebuttertv/status/1529151981792727040

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUX4cL1AP28&t=12s

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Horseshoe theory posted:

https://twitter.com/CryptoWhale/status/1528833698988269568

Monkey Pox can even go into the virtual world of crypto! :eyepop:

why exactly would i want to buy PlagueCoin?

i'm pretty sure none of the money goes to the Plaguefather so there's no point in wasting time and resources on that when i could be spreading his Gifts the old-fashioned way

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1529430578092810240?t=oIosSmCUC_zaezEIO5vOBw&s=19

from the creators of lose your money 1.0: lose your money 2.0

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i'm sure they learned from their mistakes

WorkerThread
Feb 15, 2012

lmao

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/WatcherGuru/status/1530554257056874497

Another rug pull?! I'm shocked! :monocle:

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

War and Pieces posted:

do they not know what bankruptcy is?

the shock of going from thinking you are rich to realizing you are bankrupt has gotta be rough. also the kind of person going all in on a get rich quick scheme is probably desperate to begin with. but i think the main thing is that you aren't just putting your life savings on the line, if you have a relationship you are putting that on the line too. "trust me babe these $250k ape pictures will pay off, you just have to believe in me." and then you lose your house and your wife will never trust you again. i think being a huge embarrassing failure to your friends and family hurts a lot. i wouldnt know anything about that tho

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

buy the dip!

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

99.9% of real physical art objects instantly turn into something that'll fetch from five to twenty bucks at a garage sale the second you take possession of them from the artist but clearly a link to a godawful jpg will only appreciate in value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
on the other hand we live in the stupidest timeline so maybe the nft people are on to something