Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Does the twitter hexagon thing still have the deal where anyone can mint a fresh NFT of something they've rightclick+saveas'd and get the same treatment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
BEHOLD! THE FUTURE!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
And it didn't even loving work right. You built a machine that harvests human misery for your own comfort, and it doesn't even do the second thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

quote:

I don’t want to spook them…I’m hoping maybe by offering them more $ via a bigger loan, they will agree to send it back

holy poo poo

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
All the people trying to use things like proof of stake want it to be a currency. Like the ethereum guy does, but he's already a billionaire so he's more than happy to play fun games with it. Other proof schemes are super controversial though because there's a fear it will make crypto "inflationary" (i.e. stop being tulip bulbs for dweebs).

Getting rid of proof of work just highlights the dozens of problems with crypto that aren't proof work though so it doesn't really matter.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Not necessarily, the increasing time with Bitcoin comes from a difficulty factor that increases over time, but it increases at key breakpoints and eventually caps out, and most types of crypto don't do that. The block chain doesn't get slower with each block, only the hash of the last block is used in the current one. It does get slower as more compute power enters the system, though, so... that's nice.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

How does something get slower with more computational power?

Decentralized consensus gets/can get slower the more boxes in the network. It's not a problem unique to Bitcoin: lots of stuff in real tech uses consensus protocols that place a cost to scaling out. It's usually treated as a challenge or constraint, not something where you just shrug and say "that's crypto!"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Nobody on earth is better suited for this moment

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/12/peter-molyneux-raises-54m-on-promise-of-play-to-earn-nft-game-legacy/

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

I mean he has the resources and might make an actual game. But yeah NFTs are basically Molyneux's dream opportunity to pretend he came up with a bunch of poo poo everyone's already been doing for twenty years

that motherfucker couldn't even finish a mobile game with his current resources

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://techcrunch.com/2021/12/21/justin-kans-nft-platform-suffers-rocky-debut-as-scammer-makes-off-with-150k-in-user-funds/

quote:

the broader issue is that the underlying incentive structure of the NFT market tends to discourage users from engaging skeptically

oh indeed

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
It loving owns that the entire concept of a decentralized internet is that you don't log into the same website with a specific domain with a nice green lock next to it, but doing your banking at any arbitrary place some internet guy links you to.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Ape Wobegon

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
https://mobile.twitter.com/JonathanPuthoff/status/1476746916633272320

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Welcome to my new meta-scam where I sell my monkeys at a steep discount and then report them stolen on twitter.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

https://twitter.com/Fr0zenBuffal0/status/1477112764191711234

Me in 1636 shouting at the guy who sold me a counterfeit tulip that flower regulation is coming.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Honest Thief posted:

have interviews processes been ramping up lately? I had a couple with like 4 to 5 calls just for one role and then get a "no" lol

that's just west coast tech leaking

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
My favorite interview story that I always try to work in ends with "and then I passed it to my boss because there was an irreconciliable understanding of how our department should spend its resources, and leadership needed to make some high level decisions about where to go next". It consistently smokes out lovely places to work- I've flunked interviews twice because I "shouldn't be giving my boss problems, I should be giving him solutions" lmao

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

every interview question is only supposed to determine two things:
- is this guy a dipshit who is going to make everyone have to work more?
and
- is this guy a complete nutjob who is going to jump me in the parking lot?

the only thing domain knowledge questions can or should do is try to figure out how many training resources you'll have to spend bringing the new hire up to speed, and every other question is an attempt to sniff out the real weirdos it'd be a pain in the rear end to work with. Those "tell me about a conflict you had at work" or "tell me your biggest work related weakness" questions are just asking "are you going to play the game and give me the boring form answer I expect and we can move on or are you going to be weird about it?"

or rather, that's all an interview process can and should be, but we're long past the point where most people are fully kool-aid'd about being part of the chase bank family or whatever, so people doing the interviews actually believe what they're asking has meaning and can give some sort of special insight into a person, and the people taking the interviews know that the interviewers are true believer, or (even worse), believe themselves

The real way to do it is like 30.5 days does it where you configure your responses to cause you to fail at places it'd be lovely to work at. It's actually kind of a cool opportunity to be very clever and do like psychology risk about office culture, or rather it would be if we didn't all need paychecks and loving medical insurance.

anyway the best time to interview is when you have a stable job for that exact reason

lmao your job trains new employees? Pussies.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
If you make tasks to develop training resources and documentation, that's time away from things that are gonna bring in more money. Forcing everyone to do 3 interviews per week and still not be able to make a loving hire doesn't do that, though, because you haven't assigned those interviews any story points. It's magic!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Making up stories about how kim jong un bans smiles because his smile is ugly and he has bad breath is pretty much the only reliable work defectors can get in the south. I try not to judge.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what has me convinced is that there aren't really calls to ban it from the media or congress

This story convinced me: https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/bitcoin-network-power-slumps-kazakhstan-crackdown-hits-crypto-miners-2022-01-06/

Oh wow a key ally for both of the US's adversaries has a color revolution with one of its main causes being an energy shortage? And then it turns out that a massive percentage of the nation's energy has been redirected toward crypto? You don't say.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I don't think it was on their radar until the silk road case but then the fbi had 33m in Bitcoin they'd seized (worth 7.5b today) and I think probably a lot of questions started being asked at that point.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Nate gently caress

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Sorry timmy your dad clicked the wrong link while looking for "big naturals" on bing, so now you're homeless. As we say in the crypto biz, ess eff why ell!

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Coders spent like 20 years developing a set of best practices to make sure asset transfers could never ever be automated despite everyone now doing their errands in a protocol & associated piece of software that helpfully tries to automate everything for you, and these assholes looked around said "man how come nobody's tried to automate asset transfers yet?"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Every time a crypto guy hears about CORS restrictions his face turns red and steam comes out of his ears.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Please be aware of the risks. But also, you have to do it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Hello, before taking part in this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, please be sure to activate the "get scammed" mode on your ethereum wallet. Why does such a mode exist? *chuckles* Well,

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Exciting new scam:
https://twitter.com/0xQuit/status/1511198290565509120

Mark agrees to trade his 1 ape for the scammer's 3 apes. The 3 apes are verified apes, with the green checkmark on the trading site. But the checkmark is photoshopped into the fake ape.

Neopets had more security from scams.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Turbo Tax now makes it EASY to write off your missing apes!

Were your apes stolen this year?

o No apes to report
o Apes I purchased this year were stolen
o Apes I purchased in a previous year were stolen this year

How were your apes stolen?
o My apes were transferred from my wallet
o My wallet containing the apes was stolen, and the apes are still in the wallet
o My apes were sold from my wallet at below market price
o My apes were exchanged for photoshopped apes

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Why would hacking an Instagram cause the apes to get stolen

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh lmao

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
The rice may disappoint you if you gently caress up cooking it.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

webcams for christ posted:

they're going to fork ETH and keep mining on their own proprietary blockchain(s). Miners are convinced that the value will stay with their coins and not post-merge ETH. looking forward to a whole lot of rug pulls and assorted chaos

in other crypto news:

https://twitter.com/SilvermanJacob/status/1570016160040779777

At first my brain short circuited and I thought they were going to arrest one of the hashicorp guys for crypto crimes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Petey posted:

they weren't in a polycule and i think they all got hopelessly ea-pilled

Yeah I saw the polycule thing and I was expecting a lot of gossip and hilarious stories but it turns out that the CEO of FTX and the CEO of the shell company they did all the risky trading with sometimes dated and both lived in the bahamas house.