Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
The IRS has provided guidance on circumstances in which it can waive the 60-day limit. Simple neglect by the distributee is not one, but an error by the distributing company is. The distributing company is required to provide notice to you of the 60-day limit (Pub. 560 page 19). Did it?

I do not suggest going ahead with the transfer while there are open questions about its legitimacy, although you may assemble any necessary paperwork.

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
You should talk to an accountant and you should also talk to the distributing company to find out whether the check is still good for the amount shown, or they have withheld tax.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
I suspected that and would have said it if I had found it laid out somewhere in IRS guidance for 401(k)s specifically, but I couldn't.