Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Fans of the 25 year old anime are surely going to find somethig to be just spitting mad about and I personally cant wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
If this is just a shot-for-shot remake with the actors acting like they're cartoon characters it will be its purest stupid and beautiful and I'm going to get disappointed when it's not like that.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

Fans of the 25 year old anime are surely going to find somethig to be just spitting mad about and I personally cant wait.

long as it got jazz and Jeet Kune Do its all good

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Poohs Packin posted:

Little upsetting they chose an asian actor to play "Spike Spiegel", a character clearly intended to be of germanic descent.

Asian people can also be of Germanic descent

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

FlocksOfMice posted:

If this is just a shot-for-shot remake with the actors acting like they're cartoon characters it will be its purest stupid and beautiful and I'm going to get disappointed when it's not like that.

If that trailer/intro is any indication it's exactly that.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

It’s heavily inspired and will probably have a few scenes that are shot for shot, but it won’t be 1:1 the whole way. Knowing Netflix, it’s probably only 6-7 episodes anyway. Who knows how far into the anime they’ll get.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

CPL593H posted:

If that trailer/intro is any indication it's exactly that.

I KNOW and that is why my hopes are up. A live action remake doesn't really have much of a POINT but if they go nuts and just make it a shot-for-shot pose-for-pose with them acting like cartoons then like, I am extremely here for it. I need it to be this this stupid and it's the only way I'd be hype about it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Asian people can also be of Germanic descent

now who's racist?

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Why is John Cho aging so horribly

To spite you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

It’s heavily inspired and will probably have a few scenes that are shot for shot, but it won’t be 1:1 the whole way. Knowing Netflix, it’s probably only 6-7 episodes anyway. Who knows how far into the anime they’ll get.

It's a Netflix show so regardless of its quality, popularity, or success they'll probably just cancel anyway.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

gleebster posted:

To spite you.

I mean it's the only explanation

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

whoa whoa, lets not get too excited here

That's the point, they can't get excited because the actress is wearing too many clothes.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Poohs Packin posted:

P much how I feel when I see posts on Twitter micro-analyzing why this is bad while displaying all their astonishingly wack amateur comprehension of film theory and photography. Legit every remake or adaptation ever it owns.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Cartoon Man posted:

Knowing Netflix, it’s probably only 6-7 episodes anyway. Who knows how far into the anime they’ll get.

They’ve said it’ll be 10

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I thought Keanu Reeves wanted to be Spike?

What ever happened to Beetlejuice 2?

Where the gently caress am I?

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
If I have to see that episode about the space jelly blob one more time...

I'll probably watch the rest of it again.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This whole series would get boycotts and death threats sent to the creators if keanu was spike lol

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

itry posted:

The costumes actually seem pretty good in general. But I guess creeps are going to creep regardless.
What are you talking about, they don't look like cowboys at all? What an embarrassing oversight on the part of the director.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

CPL593H posted:

This just looks like one of those fake trailers with professional actors that gets made every now and again to promote and anniversary or new blu-ray set.

Yeah, it has the vibe of a well done youtube. Technically impressive, but kind of cheap by hollywood standards. How much money does netflix have again?

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Mr. Meagles posted:

this is me irl

lol, everyone looks like cosplayers, but space Sephiroth looks extra embarrassing.
Stuff that works in a cartoon or print format just doesn't necessarily translate to live action.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Somebody thought this was a good idea and held on to it for years. Also it's true about them trying to attach Keanu for a while. But they did GITS and this so it's only a matter of time before the idiots try to live action Akira. Shameful. But I guess it's an excuse to show ppl the genuine article again.

e. Also why do ppl do that dumb sword-spin thing. It looks the opposite of cool. Can we stop this trend already? Just knock whatever it is out of their hand and say Yeah that's what happens when you let go of something, idiot.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Live action Akira would be a shitshow.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Poohs Packin posted:

I forget who has dibs. Last I heard it was either Spielberg or Leo DiCaprio.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Refn could maybe do it well but its a bit too epic for his usual fare

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Poohs Packin posted:

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Live action Deathnote was somehow dumber than the animated version.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

There's no way they have the budget to make a CGI tachikoma look in any way convincing

:gas:

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Poohs Packin posted:

anyway, Chronicle exists

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I hope they keep the space rastas

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Colonel Cancer posted:

I hope they keep the space rastas

Neuromancer movie would be cool.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Live action Princess Mononoke but it's just spliced together clips from wild animal attacks.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I've never seen or read Akira but in my mind the live action version would be...

Re-animate that guy who was famous from Fast and Furious, stick his corpse on a Kawazaki and tell him to go fast again.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

my brain is incapable of processing this as anything other than a cosplay fan movie

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I know those are good actors, but still got serious "anime club but with a production budget" vibes watching that intro lol

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

It's also got a 15 years too late Sin City vibe going on there.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

Nooner posted:

I know those are good actors, but still got serious "anime club but with a production budget" vibes watching that intro lol

yeahh that intro did not look super promising imo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
looks cool. my fav guy in the cartoon was jet and he looks cool in this one also. voting 5. thank you netflix

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Smythe posted:

looks cool. my fav guy in the cartoon was jet and he looks cool in this one also. voting 5. thank you netflix

See, this goon gets it.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
I’m an easily entertained moron so I’m probably gonna love this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
This is just big budget live action superhero trash but for losers who grew up too cool for that sort of thing