Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ubermarcus
Mar 17, 2009
I've asked this on the Nvidia forums with no response.
I'm running a GeForce 780 GTX on Windows 7 64bit.

About a week ago the screen suddenly got all corrupted with horizontal dotted red lines, which flicker and jump about based on movement on the screen, and for some reason only affects darker colours. Looked a bit like a borked video card. This just happened suddenly, not after any updates or new software.

I updated drivers to the latest 472.12, which made no difference.
I did a driver update, a clean update, and then totally uninstalled everything Nvidia related and installed from scratch. Nothing made a difference.

The thing is, when all Nvidia software is uninstalled the problem goes away.
There is no problem during startup either, or in safe mode, only when loading windows, so it definitely sounds like a driver issue.
Unfortunately you can't run games with no graphics drivers though.

When Nvidia drivers are installed and the screen is messed up then device manager says it has forced the video card to stop with error 43, which I also understand is driver related.

The only thing I can think of is that, with no drivers, the video card is just running in its most bare-bones mode. When proper drivers are present then the card is perhaps using more of its capabilities, part of which might be physically broken? Does that sound in any way plausible?

edit: as per forum rules, here are further system specs:

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H mobo
16GB Corsair Vengeance
3GB Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 OC

ubermarcus fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Sep 26, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU