Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I would love to join but I don’t think my old rear end GTX 860M would hold up so… prob gonna have to sit this one out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

JackDRipper posted:

I got a 1080 laying around I can mail you.

Lol - thanks for the offer but my laptop’s GPU is soldered on so I pretty much need a whole new rig. Rip.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

fadam posted:

It’s a new MMO that’s not some sandbox pos and Amazon will probably spend a shitload of money making sure it doesn’t fail.

and yet it still will

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Lmao… even Asheron’s Call had more than 2k players per server at their peak.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

CLAM DOWN posted:

I hope so. I just had a brief home internet interruption and lost my place in queue, again. I give up.

My Lenovo y50 and my frugal & procrastinatory nature to upgrade my computer saved me from this experience

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

WarEternal posted:

That has literally nothing to do with what I intended to say. I'm saying the backend of the servers could probably handle it, but with things like all resource nodes going to the first person to tap them, they don't want a server with 20k people on it.

MMOs are often victims of their own success, whether due to design or capacity thresholds.

They’re either too successful and go way over their carrying capacity, or they’re not successful enough and either feel lonely or don’t have enough money to keep the servers running.

The most successful MMOs shield you from the extremes of these experiences. Although launch day is always a cluster.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

So in 30 days, when the concurrent player count isn't in the top 100, will it still be a mega hit?

To Amazon, when you collect the money up front and don’t plan to charge an ongoing subscription, yes.

Actually, collecting $40 from everyone in order to shelve the game in 6 months is probably the best they could hope for from a profitability standpoint.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

BadLlama posted:

I hope they start playing advertisements during the queue wait.

Lol. Do I get something for my Amazon prime membership, lord bezos?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Okay, I know exactly who you’re talking about.

Maybe name and shame

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Anita Dickinme posted:

Someone already did. I'm all about name shaming for poo poo like this but it was already addressed and resolved.

Yeah sorry I have gotten into the bad habit of posting while I catch up on the thread, and while I’m still pages behind.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I’ve learned that I like reading about MMOs more than I like playing them lol.

Why does TT show up in all the goon games, and why is he so consistently a dummy weirdo creep?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Harrow posted:

I'd probably be playing more if I didn't have like four other games vying for my time but I'm hoping maybe when I do have time for it, the queues will have died down and maybe things will have settled a bit and I can figure out what kind of thing I want to actually do at endgame.

I know some people love that new MMO rush but I think I'm discovering I kinda like joining an established MMO where experienced players can tell me how stuff works and take me under their wing

What other 4 games are you playing?

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

I swear you could set an egg timer starting when an MMO launches and by the time it goes off there will have been some goon drama already.

Also the j4g t-shirt sales and those suck-up PMs, I forgot about those ahaha.

Now if only we could get to the bottom of who took all the money from the goon guild bank this time…

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Drinkfist posted:

Because no one wants to run a goon guild except for him. Seriously that's the illness. HE WANTS IT.

Yeah at this point in my life though I’m not interested in being in some guild run by some gamer bro that has way too much time on his hands. I just mostly wanna play games with chill normal people that enjoy playing games as a hobby and not a lifestyle. If some structure emerges from that sort of group, great, but you’re 100% right that the moment someone wants to “rally the goons” rather than naturally emerging, it’s a huge red flag.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Kaysette posted:

Hi all, catching up on this thread now. I picked the wrong weekend to go to a COVID wedding!

Happy covid! Hope you don’t catch it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ein Sexmonster posted:

Bye, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Lmao