Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Yeah, I'd like to see a good game, but I think the Patriots are just going to get shithoused. Rookie QB, no OL, bad run defense, bad special teams, receivers with the dropsies, overpaid TEs doing nothing, James White out.

Basically the Pats just suck in a really boring way, and even if the Bucs defense has taken a step back from 2020 the Pats offense is so anemic that it won't matter today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The Pats right now are simply decrepit on both sides of the ball. Also Brady wants blood.

Pretty much this. Brace for :patssay: and/or :qq: I guess:

I get that everyone is gun-shy about declaring the Patriots dead after it kept not happening from 2013-present, but they just look like poo poo across the board now. It's just flown under the radar since they're generically bad instead of "hilarious absolute disaster LOL WTF BBQ" bad. They will probably improve over the course of the year, but at this moment they're basically as bad as they've looked since the early 1990s. The new guys are still confused by the system and tripping over their own feet, and the old guys have been invisible. Penalties and blunders have been ever-present.

Everyone assumed the OL would be good and it's quietly been godawful. Their ancient OL guru got replaced by Just Some loving Guy and now they can't run for poo poo and their rookie QB is getting blasted off the snap even on checkdowns.

The run defense has spent the last 2 weeks getting dunked on. The pass defense looks fine on paper but hasn't played a real QB yet and is missing its top corner. Special teams has sucked. It's basically the opposite of every stereotype about the Belichick era Patriots.

Ironically the quarterback is probably the least of their problems, he's been firmly in the "fine for a rookie, I guess" bin rather than '"actually good" but the main problem is that he's getting drilled while his receivers and tight ends don't get open, drop the ball or tip it to the other team. And they can't run the ball so he literally led the team in total rushing and yards per attempt against the Saints as a sluggish Caucasian lol.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Belichick obviously wanted to keep Brady after 2019 - there were no better choices - but Belichick sure as poo poo wanted to swap Brady out for Jimmy G before the start of the 2018 season. Jimmy G and Brady had the same agent however - and the same shared goal - and went over Belichick's head to Kraft to keep Brady on the team. So Brady's dad is right in a way, it's just that it was like four years ago.

It's true that Belichick wanted Brady instead of nobody, but his offer was such poo poo that he'd have to be a moron to think it would be taken seriously. Which I guess is possible.

1) 1 year deal for below market value instead of a multi year deal with more guaranteed total and per year
2) Play with shitass receivers and get thrown under the bus when the offense sucks, instead of throwing to a bunch of giant fast talented dudes
3) Get treated like a basic bitch as a 43 year old man instead of... not that

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The problem isn't selling out the cap for Super Bowls, it's half a decade of drafting garbo offense.

Yeah this was it more than anything if you take the long view.

By 2019-20 Belichick wasn't able to make a good offer to Brady, but that inability goes back to past draft botches. They aren't in cap trouble if they don't need to overpay FA stopgap types because their drafts were rear end for multiple years in a row. If the roster is better through the draft and they can afford Brady, Brady probably stays and just complains to his friends that Bill is a prick sometimes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

fsif posted:

I watched the condensed first half of Sunday's game last night. The Patriots magic is gone. They just had a listless, loser vibe. A really boring, 1 PM contest that felt germane to the rest of the NFL.

Like, the Patriots were bad last year, but they still felt like the Patriots.

This is kind of a perfect IMO.

Like Cam was bad and the receiver talent was bad but they played a smart (if excruciatingly boring) style of football.

Now they just look like some dumb lovely assholes.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

I mean they looked pretty much fine the previous two weeks outside of the oline. It's just well, the Jets and 4 loving fumbles.

Way more penalties and random 10 player on the field/blown special teams assignments type dumb poo poo too.

The OL play is definitely the worst problem by miles, though. If that was at least OK everything else would probably be at least tolerable.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He’s still in Florida though. But maybe they imported some New England tap water down to get him acclimated to that again.

Florida tap water was pure bleach the last time I was there lol

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Disclaimer: I have no special talent for predicting NFL games. But I feel like the Patriots are just hosed.

When the Patriots have the ball: Their offensive line has been awful at both run blocking and pass protection, their receivers and tight ends look mediocre to outright bad, and Jones has been Fine For a Rookie but that's all. Tampa's secondary is depleted, but to do anything about it Jones will have to risk certain death only for it to be a 50/50 chance whoever he throws it to tips it to the other team.

When Tampa has the ball: Tampa has Brady, a good offensive line, infinite top 10 receiving talent and solid backs. The Patriots have a surprisingly decent secondary even with Gilmore out, an average pass rush, and a run defense that can be charitably described as "problematic."

Special teams: other than Folk making his field goals, the Pats have had truly lovely special teams out of nowhere. There's no magical advantage here for the Pats anymore, they look bad and dumb.

I don't see how they can do anything but maybe do some weird poo poo on defense that takes Brady a while to figure out, but this team has spent 3 weeks looking dumb as poo poo, if they try anything wacky it's 50/50 they screw it up and [pick a Buc] moonwalks in for a touchdown.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Tampa doesn't have much of a running game and Brady isn't running so they can "safely" run their Nickel defense they use against KC except they don't have to worry about the QB scrambling. If they are gonna hand it off to Fournette cause between the numbers is all mudded up well that's a win

This feels like a relic of small sample sizes and having to throw a lot the first 3 games. The exact same roster was fine running the ball last year when they wanted to and the Pats run D is rear end.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cat Hassler posted:

Seahawks drafted this dude in 1991 in the first round

Next two QBs drafted were Todd Marinovich and then some scrub named Favre

At least they made up for it 2 years later with

Uh

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Random thought, I want Stafford to win a Super Bowl immediately and utterly destroy the idea of QBs naturally staying with their first team.

I want an orgy of good QBs refusing to stay with buffoonish organizations and chasing rings in an endless cycle of chaos where the failures are as amazing as the successes. Fully mercenary QB roulette madhouse!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Nodoze posted:

Brady already did both of those things. Rodgers and Wilson started making a bunch of noise this offseason cause they saw how Tampa just did whatever he told them to do and were like drat, why can't I have that. Watson tried to get out too, but he got outed himself and well..

The QB Chaos Carousel would be a sight to behold, but becoming like the NBA where the players call all the shots is definitely not something the owners want happening

Yeah but Brady is one guy and it's...Brady.

Another guy doing it immediately would be something else I think.

Rodgers has set himself up to do it in 2022 as well lol