Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Hello, I am a complete idiot for tech stuff and would appreciate any help that could be provided. I have been working from home since March 2020 and brought all of my monitors and hardware from the office here and set it up the same way. It sounds like Iíll have to return to the office in the winter and will have to take all the equipment back with me.

I will have the option of working from home a few days a week but I will need to have a proper set up for my home office. The nature of my job requires two monitors. So I would need to get two monitors and a docking station. I am willing to invest in the equipment needed but want to check if my personal lap top would be compatible with the same set up as my work one.

My current set up is a Lenovo thinkpad laptop, thinkpad docking station, and two think centre (Lenovo) monitors. My personal laptop is an Asus brand. It is not compatible with the thinkpad docking station.

My questions are:

1) are there universal docking stations that would work for both Lenovo and asus laptops? If so, what brand is recommended?

2) will the monitors work with any docking station?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

1) Depends, most laptops in the last year or two (mabye 3) have standardized on USB3/Thunderbolt connections for docking stations. You would have to see what your personal laptop has as far as output options are. If you specify a model number, I can look it up.

The company I work for uses a Universal docking station. They're expensive, but they work on pretty much everything we have (Mac's and PC) https://us.targus.com/products/usb-c-universal-dv4k-docking-station-with-100w-power-dock190usz

2) Monitors are pretty universal. worst case you may need to buy an adapter to change one output to another (displayport to hdmi or dvi, etc)

You may not need a docking station. You should be able to setup the monitors etc without one. If you post the exact models of the laptops I'll look them up.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Thanks - work computer is a Lenovo thinkpad T480 and personal laptop is a ASUStek TUF Gaming FX505gt

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Your personal laptop doesn't look like it will work with a docking station. It has an HDMI video output, but the USB3 ports don't have any sort of video capability to them.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

Dang. Thanks for checking.