Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Google Wave

and

Zynga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
me? I dont forget poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
zynga I think

they made games? I don't remember which. something about dogs

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
reminder that Zynga once had like four thousand employees to make mobile and/or web games or whatever it was they were doing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
wave at least was a spectacular failure

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I remember zynga was founded by a guy named marcus pincus but it's only because he have a funny name

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Silver Alicorn posted:

wave at least was a spectacular failure

what do you mean failure, it lives on as an apache project
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wave.html

someone should make a yospos wave server or something

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i have 1 share in zynga stock that i got for free by signing up to robinhood a few years ago. its gone up like 100% in the past 2 years or something like that

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i play zynga poker when I'm bored waiting in line or whatever. they give you tons of free virtual moneys to gamble with so I have no idea why you would spend money on iaps

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Zlodo posted:

what do you mean failure, it lives on as an apache project
http://incubator.apache.org/projects/wave.html

someone should make a yospos wave server or something

wave posted:

The Wave project retired on 2018-01-15

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

can't believe nobody wanted to spend their free time maintaining an increasingly irrelevant bloated relic from google's past

exe cummings
Jan 22, 2005

:rip: xanga

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
remember when the gnaa found out that xanga had a xss exploit you could embed in it, and also that slashdot had a query you can execute that scanned the whole db, and combined the 2 to DDOS slashdot.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

akadajet posted:

an increasingly irrelevant bloated relic from google's past

plz don't dox me in yospos

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

its waving good bye on account of its dead

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
does google wave offer anything a stick in some dirt can’t?

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
I forgot Slashdot more than those other two things.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

remember when the gnaa found out that xanga had a xss exploit you could embed in it, and also that slashdot had a query you can execute that scanned the whole db, and combined the 2 to DDOS slashdot.

slashdot sucked

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

like. u think hacker news is bad? remember slashdot???

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i forgot about gnaa way more than google wave, which i dont think i ever knew existed

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i definitely forgot more about google wave, mostly because i never understood what google wave was

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
zyngas still got a billboard on a building near the freeway so ima go with Wave

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i mean not a billboard but like their logo or whatever

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Truman Peyote posted:

i definitely forgot more about google wave, mostly because i never understood what google wave was

google wave set the ground work for fortnite

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i forgot... about 9/11 :twisted:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
anyway i forgot zynga more than wave. one of my friends tried pushing google wave bigtime back when it came out. we never really got into it. now he's a jordan peterson fan who believes blm is a cultural marxist plot to destroy american culture.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
zynga because jokes about google being serial app killers are evergreen.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

echinopsis posted:

google wave set the ground work for fortnite

well, I don't understand what that is either. a video game where kids go to concerts or something?

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i think fortnight is good, it gives a lot of urban kids a chance to build cabins that they wouldn't have otherwise

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Truman Peyote posted:

well, I don't understand what that is either. a video game where kids go to concerts or something?

i think it involves “planking”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

anyway i forgot zynga more than wave. one of my friends tried pushing google wave bigtime back when it came out. we never really got into it. now he's a jordan peterson fan who believes blm is a cultural marxist plot to destroy american culture.

I think it’s fair to blame this on google wave

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

was it zynga that got bought out for a ridiculous amount of money then immediately their entire user base fell apart?

anyway i was thinking about google wave the other week so i forgot about zynga the most.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

buh-zynga

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i forgot about dre

jk i could never do that

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yosplus

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

:rip: yosplus, too perfect for this god-forsaken earth

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

google wave. the old fashion wholesale mall downtown still has a huge zynga dog on the outside so i remember it every time i'm down there.

idk if zynga the company is even there anymore

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Sep 30, 2021

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Truman Peyote posted:

how can you have *forgotten* more about something you didn't originally know anything about?

similarly i have forgotten very little about wave or zynga since i knew fuckall about them to start with. slashdot though is properly slipping from memory.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

slashdot though is properly slipping from memory.

(Score 3: Informative)

i forget fark more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google wave was stupid and for nerds so it never entered the mainstream consciousness. roughly no one remembers it.

zynga was the number one maker of exploitative IAP facebook games for olds and children, and then became one of the biggest App Store purveyors of the same. FarmVille and Words with Friends were their biggest hits. this made them a vc darling, their valuation exploded, they bought a whole bunch of other game makers. in that sense, they impacted many more people than wave. also something about their CEO being a scumbag, I don’t remember the details.