Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hello friends and welcome. Following the discussion in CE of the effect the firehose of bad news seems to be having, this is a thread to try the opposite. We all know how bad things are right now - so why don't we find out how good things are, too?

I did a post on FB last year where I asked people to comment and I'd tell them something nice about themselves, and as well as having a huge positive response I got a nice buzz from it. So, let's get some smiles happening.

This is a thread for posting about good things only. I'd prefer to keep it from becoming another dog thread (though dogs are indeed wonderful), so best if we could keep it to dog-related news items instead of many, many photos of our good boys and girls.

I'd really like to avoid arguments about whether something is, in fact, good news; whether you should, in fact, be happy about something; etc. If something you read doesn't make you happy, then why not post something that does?

So please - let's give this a proper go and see if we can generate some smiles.

I thought I'd start by mentioning an announcement the NZ government made yesterday.
We are extending residency to an estimated 165k people who have been in the country since before covid kicked off, at a stroke solving all the uncertainty they've had over whether they'll be able to stay in the country.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/126535059/nearly-165000-migrants-eligible-for-fasttracked-residency

As well as this, the rescue I volunteer with secured $5000 of funding to help wonderful dogs!

And one last bit of good news is that signs are very strong that the Maori language will become compulsory learning in NZ.

Thanks for reading my thread - you are an awesome person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Yeah, listen to Comrade Oddball:

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zotoTKJ3ivE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ6vSn7PaPI

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 30, 2021

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thanks for this thread. A good things thread is welcome.

A small list of good things going on in my life:

I'm not a lawyer anymore.
I've got more money in the bank than I ever had when I was a lawyer.
I paid off my car and have zero credit card debt.
School is challenging but not anything beyond my abilities.
My dog and cats are in great health.
I haven't been on facebook in like a month and a half.

Everything's coming up Milhouse.

I've laughed a lot today. I hope all the rest of you are doing well, as well.

Here's something good that y'all probably saw yesterday, but it's worth a rewatch:

https://twitter.com/GatorsDaily/status/1443190272687497218

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I'll contribute something more meaningful later, but let me just say this:

I hope you all live with the confidence of a man doing battle (AND WINNING) with an armor-plated dinosaur holdover while wearing socks with sandals.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Learned Detroiters was a show and had fun watching both seasons.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
It’s Friday, folks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVsfOSbJY0

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Rebecca Black is still making music and has over 1 million Instagram followers, so yay for her!

https://instagram.com/msrebeccablack

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Rebecca Black is still making music and has over 1 million Instagram followers, so yay for her!

https://instagram.com/msrebeccablack

Thats legitimately awesome.

As you probably all know I'm a giant space nerd, and I don't remember if I've shared these or not, but I got some insane photos of the Milky Way earlier this year.

The night I got these was one of the best nights I can remember. So still, calm, and peaceful.

Anytime I'm feeling off, I just go and stare up into space for a while. There's so much beauty out there.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I picked up my bow for the first time in ages, and it feels really good to shoot again :unsmith:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Good for you, dude! Tell us about it - do you strictly shoot for targets or are you doing some hunting too?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Targets only. It’s a 55lb draw weight, so I could hunt with it…but that’s not what I’m into. No sights either, so nailing a bullseye is exceptionally satisfying (even if I’m only 15m from the target :v: )

The limbs were interchangeable, but this model hasn’t been made in like 20 years and those limbs are impossible to come by. Still, 55# for an old recurve isn’t so bad :)

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
This thread has been needed for years. Good on you for getting it started.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also, Facebook just reminded me that 8 years ago I was in Georgia, trying real bbq for the first time. I said on the spot that I needed to learn how to do it, and I did.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Needed to return a electronic item to Costco and got it there just under the 90 day limit so it was no problem.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Baseball fever has returned to Seattle for the first time in 20 years. It's a lot of fun to follow and looking forward to watching games.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Froggo friend! :3:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Good froggo. We have a swamp in the back yard that is a source of joy every spring when the Spring Peepers and other frogs come out to sing. Our yard is host to a small army of toads as well every summer.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

We have an Army of toads- including one that visits and sits under the porch light to eat bugs.

Our cats assume anytime we tell them no, and shoo them from an animal, it's a pet.

Which is why Charlie the Chimpmunk spent a year stealing candy and snacks from my daughter.

The frogs are a new addition, but welcome.

I spent my youth in the Infantry, at war. Im spending my 'retirement' live and let live (unless safety is involved. Which is why Turkey feel safe to walk through my plot, and deer bring their babies to my pasture to sleep safely. I'm really making an effort to lean into some more positivity

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

There’s an Instagram page (@wildgreenmemes) having a field day with frogs right now. They’re hilarious and wholesome, you might have seen “the oily bird gets the warm” about penguins secreting some kind of oil that helps them stay warm in Antarctic waters :dadjoke:

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

RIP Sept 21st, but at least he (and his whole crew) are going out on top.
https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/1444034090525609985?s=20

It's at $978k when I posted. Do not sleep on this thread, the backstage vids are great. The amount of work they put in for this video really showed.

Test shooting the gimbal shot
https://twitter.com/electrolemon/status/1444070139113050114?s=20

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Icon Of Sin posted:

There’s an Instagram page (@wildgreenmemes) having a field day with frogs right now. They’re hilarious and wholesome, you might have seen “the oily bird gets the warm” about penguins secreting some kind of oil that helps them stay warm in Antarctic waters :dadjoke:

Good looking out.:glomp:

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I am so happy that everyone else is doing EXCELLENT! I am looking into ghost towns and visiting them. Tell us about your good times.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

bulletsponge13 posted:

We have an Army of toads- including one that visits and sits under the porch light to eat bugs.

Our cats assume anytime we tell them no, and shoo them from an animal, it's a pet.

Which is why Charlie the Chimpmunk spent a year stealing candy and snacks from my daughter.

The frogs are a new addition, but welcome.

I spent my youth in the Infantry, at war. Im spending my 'retirement' live and let live (unless safety is involved. Which is why Turkey feel safe to walk through my plot, and deer bring their babies to my pasture to sleep safely. I'm really making an effort to lean into some more positivity

You have no idea how happy this post makes me.

I've spent some time discussing the stories you've posted here with my dad (retired danish major of the reserves) and being able to tell him that you've ended up in some sort of disney scene through your own efforts is a major morale booster. Thank you so much for sharing both this and your stories from the time you were in.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

SerthVarnee posted:

You have no idea how happy this post makes me.

I've spent some time discussing the stories you've posted here with my dad (retired danish major of the reserves) and being able to tell him that you've ended up in some sort of disney scene through your own efforts is a major morale booster. Thank you so much for sharing both this and your stories from the time you were in.

This choked me up. I got kinda teary eyed relaying it to my wife. This was very kind of you to tell me.

I remind myself I had a 'good war'. I got to live out childhood fantasies of being the help someone needed, and being the boogeyman who stalks the dark. The issue is that war by design is immoral- you are sending children to kill children. It's what comes after, when you get older and realize how scared you (rightfully) were, how you stayed because you wanted to be a moral cog in the immoral machine. And it's not all the Army or War's fault. It doesn't really matter. I'm in therapy (whom I think I pat 125/HR to tell me the obvious that everyone else already knows), and I'm trying to find peace with the man I became. I still feel it goes against my nature, because I never found a moment's peace until the last year or two.

In reality, I want to be a Disney Princess with a Kalashnikov. I want to have my animals and be left alone to sing terribly while we play. I want the peace I was denied as a child, rebuked in my youth, and mourn the loss of as an adult. If I can work to make orphans, I can work to make art and heal. If for no other reason than my kids deserve it. My animals do, too.

(Note I probably don't need to add- I take pride in the fact I was never mean for the sake of being mean, and tried to be as humane as possible in an inhumane situation. I never hurt anyone I wasn't forced to. I never killed anyone who didn't make that choice themselves. My goal was to have EVERYONE go home. We are making GBS threads up your hood- there is no reason for me to larp LAPD while I'm ruining your gate)

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I picked up painting models after I got home from Afghanistan. All of those are long gone, but I’ve been painting a ton over the last year as well for pandemic-related reasons. Turns out it’s a great stress reliever for me.

It may seem daunting at first, but it’s not really so bad. It’s a great solo hobby, and it’s a bonus if you actually get to play games with people (these are all from Star Wars: Legion, and about 1.5”/32mm tall [aside from R2-D2]).

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Looking good!

I love doing models and gaming. Do you do Gundam or any other models?

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

bulletsponge13 posted:

Looking good!

I love doing models and gaming. Do you do Gundam or any other models?

Nah, strictly Star Wars (and the Aliens board game) for now. I have the Doom 2016 board game as well, but that ruleset has been iterated upon so much that it’s effectively evolved into the system Aliens uses now :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
It looks great, makes me want to go 3D print some Battletech minis to paint.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

It looks great, makes me want to go 3D print some Battletech minis to pain.

Go for it! I heard fun things about Alpha Strike, but haven’t gotten a chance to play it yet. A friend has it, and I’m going to see him next week.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Icon Of Sin posted:

Go for it! I heard fun things about Alpha Strike, but haven’t gotten a chance to play it yet. A friend has it, and I’m going to see him next week.

My latest hobby obsession is RC cars, but specifically one RC car because.....Audi

I 3D printed some mud guards for it and better, stiffer body mounts.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
Friends, fire and autumn.
https://pasteboard.co/NS8voCjqRGZG.jpg

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

I saved the life of a groundhog the other day. It was blindly bumbling around outside the place I work at with a soup can stuck over its head, I managed to get a hold of it and wrench the can off. Someone had just thrown it away and the groundhog had probably shoved its head into the can looking for food and gotten its head stuck because garbage people can't throw their garbage into garbage cans.

The groundhog seemed weirdly calm while I was trying to get the can off, probably because it couldn't actually see me. Once I got the can off it shot away like a missile through. I hope the little fellow is still ok. Pretty sure that if I hadn't gotten that can off its head it had probably wandered off to one of the nearby fenced off ditches where no one could find it and died of dehydration or starvation.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I’m bikepacking in my favorite part of West Virginia this weekend and I couldn’t be happier.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Is that Blackwater Falls? I love it too and there's first come first served primitive campsites that are unbelievably nice.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 18, 2022

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 18, 2022

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

CommieGIR posted:

My latest hobby obsession is RC cars, but specifically one RC car because.....Audi

I 3D printed some mud guards for it and better, stiffer body mounts.

Okay, where do I go to find out more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

I’m bikepacking in my favorite part of West Virginia this weekend and I couldn’t be happier.

This reminds me of Hebron falls, outside of blowing rock, NC :unsmith: