Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Iím bikepacking in my favorite part of West Virginia this weekend and I couldnít be happier.

Had the same idea, though up in Dolly Sods. Super clear night with a ton of stars and a couple of coyote packs howling in the woods.

There was a neat temperature inversion that filled up the lower valley during the night and brought it down below freezing. It was probably 10-15 degrees cooler just 100 feet below where I was camping.

Getting way too crowded up there though, when I left at noon on Saturday there were over 200 cars at the Bear Rocks trail head (which can realistically hold maybe ~30-40). At least most other WV backpacking areas are pretty empty for now. Hard to beat the scenery though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

It dipped below freezing in the Sods this weekend? Wow, I was completely unaware- felt like it never got below 50 in the part of the Valley where we spent our first night, and it was otherwise in the 60s during the day.

Those are incredible photos. I have to be really careful about who I tell about the Canaan Valley because I just want to keep this treasure secret!

It was nice and warm during the day but got cold fast once the sun went down.

Got up around 1 am and there was a ~6 foot layer of thick freezing fog slowly drifting downhill with totally clear stars overhead. The outside of my tent had a pretty good layer of frost going on it.

Got up again around 6:30 before the sun came up and it was noticeably warmer with no fog and no frost, probably in the low 40s and very comfortable. Walked a couple dozen yards downhill and the temperature dropped fast with a frost line that looked like it was drawn with a ruler. There was virtually no wind all night long which probably helped concentrate the cold air in the low areas. I've heard about it happening out west in the High Country but first time I've seen something like it on the East Coast.

Handsome Ralph posted:

These shots are beautiful, well done! :)

Thanks! That's a pretty nice set up you've got for the Falcon, a couple friends got some but then struggled with how to display it.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

oh boy a gip astrophotography thread

i pushed the limits of doing shots without an astral mount but it still worked well enough

the non-night portions of utah are also quite nice!

Nice! I'm hoping to get out to Grand Staircase Escalante in the spring, haven't been out to the Southwest outside a few short trips to the Phoenix area.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Soul Dentist posted:

I just adopted a 11 month old puppy named Beatrice. She weighs 92 pounds:

She likes all water except baths, her gentle toys, pigs ears, sticks and other dogs and cats. In that order.

That is a Good Dog, glad you were able to find each other.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Good luck little guys

Another little (non-endangered) turtle guy I caught chilling a few weeks back