Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Northern lights are supposed to be visible in some of the USA tonight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Grip it and rip it posted:

That’s just the house is on fire.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Not sure if I want to wake up for that. Supposedly at 3-4 or so.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Platystemon posted:

That’s just the house is on fire.

No, Mother, it's just the Northern Lights.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

My Spirit Otter posted:

My local legit butcher shop had fresh waygu steaks today, normally they only have frozen, so ive given them a pass, but now im gonna have a waygu beef steak for supper tomorroq and im pretty fuckin stoked

What cut of steak, how thick, and was it aged?

Super jealous of you. I get pretty good Waygu but it’s frozen and rather thin boneless ribeyes. I bring it up to room temp in a water bath while it’s still sealed, take it out, pat it dry, and salt each side liberally. Put some beef fat and a touch of oil in the cast iron, and get that loving thing stupid hot. 30-40 seconds per side gets you an even rare. 10-15 more seconds gets you medium, and longer than that and why the gently caress are you buying good beef?!

I dream of a thick rear end Waygu bone in ribeyes. Difficult cut to cook properly but goddamn I just want it so bad.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Best Friends posted:

Then you got to engage with the tote bag disintegrators imo. That level of drama exists in literally every organization, it just gets a magnifying glass in the DSA. I'm also involved in a very non political charity org and drama is just what happens when humans get together.

The Dems actively do not want everyone to get healthcare and housing. The former hurts their donors and the latter hurts their suburban voting base.

My takeaway from this is 1. Hell is other people 2. Don’t DSA, just vote when the time comes

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
This place is disgustingly cheap. Despite the price the poo poo looks legit. Ill take some nice pictures tomorrow to show it off. Thanks for the tips re: it cooking differently.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

What cut of steak, how thick, and was it aged?

Super jealous of you. I get pretty good Waygu but it’s frozen and rather thin boneless ribeyes. I bring it up to room temp in a water bath while it’s still sealed, take it out, pat it dry, and salt each side liberally. Put some beef fat and a touch of oil in the cast iron, and get that loving thing stupid hot. 30-40 seconds per side gets you an even rare. 10-15 more seconds gets you medium, and longer than that and why the gently caress are you buying good beef?!

I dream of a thick rear end Waygu bone in ribeyes. Difficult cut to cook properly but goddamn I just want it so bad.

Oh man, i just refinished my cast iron pan that rusted in storage. I know how im gonna cook this sumbitch now. Its probably very similar to what you get, but sirloin.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

My Spirit Otter posted:

This place is disgustingly cheap. Despite the price the poo poo looks legit. Ill take some nice pictures tomorrow to show it off. Thanks for the tips re: it cooking differently.

I've never seen any cut of Wagyu below 40€/kg, so that is almost suspiciously cheap

/edit:
Nevermind, turns out there are about two pounds in a kilo, whodathunkit

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

man, if i saw the edit, i would've waited until i was somewhere with internet to upload this sumbitch. 112MB on a cell phone thats limited to 4g, but we all know its actually slower than 4g, took 35 minutes lmao.

if it's fake, it still looks pretty drat tasty and well worth $6.

edit: i can't tell if the timg is working so have a link https://69420.institute/Pictures/IMG_0251.png

fuckin christ, i have no loving idea how to use this goddamn webhosting, it works if i directly paste it into my browser, but clicking the link 404s me.

edit 2: please tell me if this works, ignore the safety message, i'm just not paying for ssl certificates(too broke) http://www.69420.institute/waygu.htm

My Spirit Otter fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 31, 2021

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Grip it and rip it posted:

For what it’s worth, anytime I’ve seen them in non-Arctic latitudes, they were fairly faint so you’ll want to have good night vision and be somewhere with low light pollution.

That being said they can be bright as duck at times.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

For what it’s worth, anytime I’ve seen them in non-Arctic latitudes, they were fairly faint so you’ll want to have good night vision and be somewhere with low light pollution.

That being said they can be bright as duck at times.

:honked:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

My Spirit Otter posted:

edit 2: please tell me if this works, ignore the safety message, i'm just not paying for ssl certificates(too broke) http://www.69420.institute/waygu.htm

Just use imgur.

Edit: oh hmm, it's too big for imgur.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Oct 31, 2021

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Davethulhu posted:

Just use imgur.

ty for your input, it has been noted and filed

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Edit:

My Spirit Otter posted:

ty for your input, it has been noted and filed

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as insulting.

Davethulhu fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 31, 2021

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You might want to check YouTube for a how-to video because the higher fat content of Wagyu means it can cook differently than other proteins.

It'd be a shame to spend have spent the extra and then wonder why the quality isn't readily apparent in the end product.

You have to time it different that's for sure, A watched a few youtube videos on a few teppanyaki places from Japan on cooking it and using the sauce from Sam the Cooking guy, I used one of those lodge die cast griddles on the flat side with the grease trap and it turned out good, I cut the wagyu into equal size thickness/size portions so I can time/cook everything the same. My first thought was to through it on the grill like my normal steaks but I didn't want all that fat just dripping way into oblivion :)

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You might want to check YouTube for a how-to video because the higher fat content of Wagyu means it can cook differently than other proteins.

It'd be a shame to spend have spent the extra and then wonder why the quality isn't readily apparent in the end product.

Cut super thin and fry in a ripping hot pan for ten seconds and eat right off the pan is the best way imo.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

My Spirit Otter posted:

You can use letsencrypt to get free certs, most webhosters have automation to manage LE rapid expiration, I suggest you call them to have it set up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Mike Flynn continues to do his best to overthrow our government.

https://twitter.com/ronfilipkowski/status/1454787359032098818?s=21

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe
Flynn needs to go to loving jail. The conspiracy to kidnap a dissident to be brought back to Turkey should've been enough to nail him to the wall.

loving psycho

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Cut super thin and fry in a ripping hot pan for ten seconds and eat right off the pan is the best way imo.

I bet a wagyu cheesesteak would be dope as hell

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I bet a wagyu cheesesteak would be dope as hell

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/barclay-prime-philly-cheesesteak-worlds-most-expensive

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Bored As gently caress posted:

Flynn needs to go to loving jail. The conspiracy to kidnap a dissident to be brought back to Turkey should've been enough to nail him to the wall.

loving psycho

Nothing will happen to him and he'll end up with a privileged position in the shithole government we'll have next just a heads up

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/matthewherper/status/1454827082605895686

Doesn't look like Moderna's going to get to the 6-11 year old population before 2022 and the 12-17 EUA hit a snag because of an FDA myocarditis review. I find it all generally stupid because COVID sure as hell causes myocarditis! So it'll be Pfizer-only for the young populations.

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Davethulhu posted:

Edit:

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as insulting.

...from Saltwater Markets Facebook page...
A5 WAGYU, the world’s most valuable steak.
BMS 12
Miyazaki Prefecture
In order to be classified A5, Wagyu must grade to perfection in 5 different categories:
1. Genetics- must be 100% Wagyu Breed.
2. Beef Marble Score- A 12 point Japanese grading system (prime would be 3-4). A5 must grade 12.
3. Lean Meat- must be bright red.
4. Fat- must be bright white.
5. Texture- must be pure silk.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

https://www.costco.com/japanese-wagyu-boneless-ribeye-roast%2c-a5-grade%2c-12-lbs.product.100311435.html

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
Wagyu is a bloodline, you can have America/Australian Wagyu that's basically just Prime or Choice beef, but only the imported stuff can be A5 (which is a Japanese regulator thing) Kobe/Miyazaki/Kagoshima Wagyu. The Former is better off in western-style cuts and steaks, because the fat isn't as fine, and doesn't start to render at room temp. The latter, you want to slice it thinly and eat it in small bits as quickly as possible because you start losing fat content as soon as it thaws. It's also overwhelmingly rich, and you really can't eat more than a couple of ounces at a time without feeling ill.

I recommend trying it all if you get the chance, and yeah the Costco offers are some of the highest quality you can get in the US outside of specialty butchers.

Immanentized fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 1, 2021

ob21
Aug 21, 2017

Immanentized posted:

Wagyu is a bloodline, you can have America/Australian Wagyu that's basically just Prime or Choice beef, but only the imported stuff can be A5 (which is a Japanese regulator thing) Kobe/Miyazaki/Kagoshima Wagyu. The Former is better off in western-style cuts and steaks, because the fat isn't as fine, and doesn't start to render at room temp. The latter, you want to slice it thinly and eat it in small bits as quickly as possible because you start losing fat content as soon as it thaws. It's also overwhelmingly rich, and you really can't eat more than a couple of ounces at a time without feeling ill.

I recommend trying it all if you get the chance, and yeah the Costco offers are some of the highest quality you can get in the US outside of specialty butchers.

...I've never tried the Costco offerings, but am very familiar with the Snake River Farms American Wagyu products, and I would have to say all their beef exceeds Prime. There are several domestic providers offering American Wagyu, but Buyer Beware: the meat and seafood industry is rife with shady actors and practices that skirt the edges of ethics by exploiting "marketing labels" and the ignorance of the buying public. Restaurants are the worst.

ob21 fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 1, 2021

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

ob21 posted:

...I've never tried the Costco offerings, but am very familiar with the Snake River Farms American Wagyu products, and I would have to say all their beef exceeds Prime. There are several domestic providers offering American Wagyu, but Buyer Beware: the meat and seafood industry is rife with shady actors and practices that skirt the edges of ethics by exploiting "marketing labels" and the ignorance of the buying public. Restaurants are the worst.

I mean the USDA rating only goes up to Prime, so there's nothing above it to compare to.

Costco wagyu being imported Miyazaki A5 stuff at $99/lb. Since they not only have the scale but also the logistics they're able to deal directly with the biggest Japanese exporters, you're gonna have great meat with anything A5, but I feel like they have better cuts.

Snake River owns- I get their supply box every 6 months and never regret it.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

https://twitter.com/DerfBackderf/status/1454987477039583235?s=20

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

Man, every time i dress as myself i get yelled at

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

ob21 posted:

The USDA 1811s / OIG investigators bust counterfeit labeled meats quite a lot.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Bored As gently caress posted:

The USDA 1811s / OIG investigators bust counterfeit labeled meats quite a lot.

Case in point, any fast food chain advertising "Angus/Black Angus" burgers.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

This dude's a hero on every level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

this costume was pretty good too
https://twitter.com/robertirwin/status/1454778020351250434?s=21

it's steve irwin's kid