Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I love that in most countries, pretending god is talking to you will get you committed, but in the US it's actually a selling point for doing politics

Well, maybe not committed, but it's gonna limit your appeal as a candidate to religious nutbags. Sadly for America "religious nutbags" describes like 30%+ of the voting population.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

LOL!!!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Speedboat Jones posted:

Looks like Mother Pence finally got jealous enough about what her husband's loving.

https://twitter.com/BlackOtterBun/status/1528399701376114688?t=mvM-5giNaiy8KF1_dApQ1Q&s=19

lmao "horses are bad!" It's so lame of an insult that it reminds me of "blacks rule!"

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).

Shanghaied posted:

Well, maybe not committed, but it's gonna limit your appeal as a candidate to religious nutbags. Sadly for America "religious nutbags" describes like 30%+ of the voting population.

Evangelical christianity is a plague on the United States. And their stupid tax exemptions cost this country a fortune.

I should start a religion so I get all sorts of free poo poo and special rights from the government. Worked for L. Ron Hubbard, and he was a fuckin' moron!!!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Shanghaied posted:

Kiss' music sucks, their make-up is lame, and "kiss" means "piss" in Swedish so lmao.

Also I've never understood why a band that dolls itself up to look like some kind of evil clown explosion demons would give themselves a name that you'd think would be on a weepy top-40 crooner group

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Also I've never understood why a band that dolls itself up to look like some kind of evil clown explosion demons would give themselves a name that you'd think would be on a weepy top-40 crooner group

Knights in Satan's Servitude?

lol

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Not just lose, he's about to be crushed Wile E Coyote style with a 16 ton anvil

the hanging dong on twitter gambit failed :sadday:

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Who What Now posted:

TBF horses are garbage and should be turned into dogfood and glue

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
Yeah man, gently caress horses. making GBS threads and clopping and neighing evyerwhe.... No goddamnit not like that!

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

Horses man, like they are so loving dumb.

Name another animal that you have to loving nail their clothes onto their body. gently caress horses.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Total Party Kill posted:

gently caress horses.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Allegedly they originally wanted to just call the band "gently caress," until someone talked them out of it, so this was a more mild compromise

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Hell, I'd eat a horse

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Asterite34 posted:

Allegedly they originally wanted to just call the band "gently caress," until someone talked them out of it, so this was a more mild compromise

I'm glad that person talked them out of ruining the most versatile profanity in the English language

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Asterite34 posted:

"Gentle caress" being too long and unwieldy.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Margin Call Alert: Tesla Stock Falling Below $400 Would Force Elon Musk to Sell 13 Million Shares of EV Maker to Fund Twitter Deal - Bernstein's Sacconaghi

https://m.uk.investing.com/news/sto...55243?ampMode=1

Toni Sacconaghi, a Senior Analyst at Bernstein covering U.S. IT Hardware, has discussed implications for Tesla (NASDAQ:TSLA) shares amid an ongoing saga concerning CEO Elon Musk and his deal to acquire Twitter (NYSE:TWTR) for $44 billion.

Musk may “ultimately elect or be forced to purchase Twitter going forward,” Sacconaghi told clients in a note today. The analyst took note of Musk’s deal to acquire Twitter which should be completed via debt, equity, and a margin loan.

Sacconaghi pays special attention to $12.5 billion that will come from a margin loan facility tied to Tesla stock.

“Following the recent drop in TSLA's stock price, Musk appears to have just enough value in his unencumbered Tesla shares to fund the margin loan portion of his proposed Twitter financing. That said, at a TSLA share price of $621 or less, Musk would technically not be able to borrow the full $12.5B against his shares - in fact, if TSLA's stock price were to drop to $500/share, he would be ~$2.5B short. If the agreed upon deal price for Twitter is ultimately haircut by 10%, Musk could still borrow enough, even if Telsa shares dropped to ~$400,” the analyst wrote.

However, the bigger - but also less probable - financial risk for Elon Musk is there is a deeper pullback in Tesla shares, in combination with him completing the deal.

“If the TWTR deal were to close today and subsequently TSLA's stock price dropped to $350-400, Musk could be forced to sell ~13M Tesla shares.”

In other words, Elon Musk would get a margin call.

Sacconaghi rates Tesla with an Underperform rating and a $450.00 per share price target as he struggles to justify TSLA's valuation, “which appears to imply huge volume AND industry leading profitability going forward, which is historically unprecedented.”

Tesla stock price is indicated to open 2.5% lower today, or at $657.90.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

I give the Twitter deal a 20% chance of going through at this point. If I had to guess I'd say Elon is going to keep bitching about the amount of bots on the app and use that to weasel out of the deal without paying the $1 billion penalty. There's no way in hell the board will accept a lower offer.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I'm not at all an expert on this, but I thought legally as long as the shareholders approve of it he has to buy it. Am I wrong on this?

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
It owns that the richest man on earth is capable of melting down and self-owning on the internet like a goon with joose.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I'm not at all an expert on this, but I thought legally as long as the shareholders approve of it he has to buy it. Am I wrong on this?

He has to reach an agreement with the board first, then the shareholders vote. The current agreement is for $54.20/share, so unless there's a new round of negotiations, that's the price that gets voted on.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

haljordan posted:

He has to reach an agreement with the board first, then the shareholders vote. The current agreement is for $54.20/share, so unless there's a new round of negotiations, that's the price that gets voted on.

Ah ok. Thanks! So he can't like, drop the price now that the board agreed to it right?

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Ah ok. Thanks! So he can't like, drop the price now that the board agreed to it right?

Correct.

I actually probably shouldn't say there's no chance in hell of this happening, if he still offers a premium over the current price the board may just still take the money and run (especially since the market overall is in the crapper). The bigger question is if he can secure financing, since Tesla stock has dropped so much so fast. He'll need more than he did when he made the initial offer.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 24, 2022

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Total Party Kill posted:

Horses man, like they are so loving dumb.

Name another animal that you have to loving nail their clothes onto their body. gently caress horses.

Tbf, horses need shoeing because the way they are used by humans (standing still for most their lives, and moving relatively fast occasionally) is very different from how they naturally live (moving very slowly to graze 20 hours a day), so their hooves never harden like they naturally do when feral. That's on us, not them.

Horse are still dumb though.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

God this is gonna be so good then :munch:

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Agree to wipe all the bots and then just purge Elon's account of all followers, even legit ones

Nobody else's

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

The Last Call posted:

Margin Call Alert: Tesla Stock Falling Below $400 Would Force Elon Musk to Sell 13 Million Shares of EV Maker to Fund Twitter Deal - Bernstein's Sacconaghi

https://m.uk.investing.com/news/sto...55243?ampMode=1

Big brain genius and real life Tony Stark, everyone.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

I've never understood Tesla's valuation, other than it's based on moonbeams and unicorn poo poo

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I've never understood Tesla's valuation, other than it's based on moonbeams and unicorn poo poo

unless stock valuation is based on, "makes a product that enables people to drive like even bigger loving assholes than BMW drivers on the freeway," I fail to see anything they've done to merit being as powerful as they are in the economy, either

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Seth Pecksniff posted:

yes, elon musk is locked into a deal where he is committed to purchase twitter at 54.20 a share. this is wildly overvalued and a ridiculously stupid idea. normally there would be a lot of financial disclosure and rounds of negotiation and so on in an acqusition, but elon musk (brain genius) straight up waived all of these things because he was so certain and ready to follow through on the deal (aka, he was on a bunch of drugs and having an emotional breakdown). now musk is making noise about how the deal is "on hold" (it isn't) and how he should be able to renegotiate the price (he can't)

so, musk is committed to buying twitter at a known price, around $44 billion. musk doesn't have 44 billion. he's worth a tremendous amount of paper, but that value isn't realized until the assets are liquidated into cash. now your typical mega billionaire might be propped up by a big ownership stake in a lucrative corporation - bill gates, jeff bezos, etc. - but those billionaires are also likely to diversify their assets over time, to create a broad portfolio of wealth holdings which makes said wealth less volatile in valuation. bill gates, for example, buys a fuckload of land. on the other hand, elon musk mostly just holds stakes in two companies - spacex and tesla. tesla, for very stupid reasons, had a skyrocketing valuation over the last few years. this made elon musk "very rich" "on paper", but mostly because he holds a whole lot of stock which is "worth" a huge amount of money but which most people assume is not actually worth that much in reality. for example, tesla at its peak was valued as being worth more than every other major automaker combined, which is kind of stupid but thats how the stock market works sometimes

so elon musk wants to buy twitter, but he doesn't have the money. he can sell some of his stock to get the money, but that isn't enough. he can also promise some of his stock as collateral to get a loan. this is mostly how the twitter acquisition deal was structured. however, when someone gives you a loan based on stock as collateral, the sensible thing to demand would be a guarantee that you're good for the money if the stock loses value. in these kind of loans there is a threshold value below which the stock price needs to be backed up with cash, or else Bad Things Happen to the lendee

anyway, at the beginning of april when this dipshit adventure began, tesla was valued at about $1,100 per share. the threshold value below which Bad Things Happen was $740 a share. in the last two months, tesla stock has fallen to $640 a share and there is no reason for it to not fall further, because of general corrections in the tech sector, announcements of stiff competition for tesla, and the fact that tesla's hype man and one-stop PR shop is having an extended public meltdown

haljordan posted:

Correct.

I actually probably shouldn't say there's no chance in hell of this happening, if he still offers a premium over the current price the board may just still take the money and run (especially since the market overall is in the crapper). The bigger question is if he can secure financing, since Tesla stock has dropped so much so fast. He'll need more than he did when he made the initial offer.

the signal that wall street doubts the deal is going to happen is this price premium. musk is firmly committed to buying twitter at 54.20 a share. the price is currently 36.31 a share. if you buy twitter stock right now, then when the deal goes through, you are going to clear 54.20-36.31 = 17.89 in pure profit, or close to a 50% return on your money in a few months. that is a ridiculously profitable deal! and yet people aren't lining up to push twitter stock higher through purchasing... the simplest explanation is that very few people believe this is actually going to happen, because musk is a weird con man and his financing structure for this deal is all hosed up, and he has very vague and weird plans for how he would be able to make twitter profitable

even the howling yokels over at r/wallstreetbets aren't throwing their dollars at twitter, which should be a huge cause for concern given what they've been convinced to buy in the past for stupider reasons

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 24, 2022

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

haljordan posted:

I give the Twitter deal a 20% chance of going through at this point. If I had to guess I'd say Elon is going to keep bitching about the amount of bots on the app and use that to weasel out of the deal without paying the $1 billion penalty. There's no way in hell the board will accept a lower offer.

He can’t weasel out of the $1 billion penalty because he waived due diligence.

It’s like buying a house, waiving the inspection, and then trying to back out when you find out there’s termites (edit: before closing). You’ll get out of the deal, but it will cost you.

Also, his criteria for “investigating” the bots is so ham-handed that no arbitrator or judge would side with him.

Rod Hoofhearted fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 24, 2022

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Seth Pecksniff posted:

It was like $80-something at the beginning of 2020. It's now $640-something, coming down from an all-time high of $1k.

Nothing about the company has really changed in that time, except now we all know that Elon is a grade-A moron.

Stock markets are dumb.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

It’s like buying a house, waiving the inspection, and then trying to back out when you find out there’s termites (edit: before closing). You’ll get out of the deal, but it will cost you.

Also the house is known by everyone as the Termite House.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Rules don't apply to rich people, even when the rules only apply to rich people

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

this is a super great explanation. Thank you! :)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Also Elon dumping a bunch of Tesla shares would cause the price to fall even more lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

The theory of a rational market will never hold water because it's run by inherently irrational beings

it simply cannot exist

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Even Hollywood accounting makes more sense than the stock market, and according to that, the Batman movie from 19fucking89 has yet to turn a single dollar in profit.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

He can’t weasel out of the $1 billion penalty because he waived due diligence.

Also, his criteria for “investigating” the bots is so ham-handed that no arbitrator or judge would side with him.
"and do you have evidence for these numbers mister musk?"
"well..ok they call him 'ant-man'..."

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Rod Hoofhearted posted:

Have you considered that he’s a rich white man with a conservative bend? I agree that he’s royally screwed himself here but a chudge will always be a possibility if it goes to court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

BigglesSWE posted:

Have you considered that he’s a rich white man with a conservative bend? I agree that he’s royally screwed himself here but a chudge will always be a possibility if it goes to court.

Elon: "uwu I'm just a heckin' smol bean"

Twitter Jack: "Your honor, heil Hitler."

*chudge rules in favor of twitter because holy poo poo this musk guy is a dumb rear end in a top hat*