Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Winford used to be a place where things were made, its factories were renowned across America and helped build the country. Then the economy changed and one by one those great factories closed and people began to follow if they could leaving the town a run-down slum as everyone with ambition or a way out followed.

That is until Howard Phillips stepped in, a Silicon Valley entrepreneur with half a dozen successful start-ups behind him and a big dream. He announced that his new start up Prometheus was going to revolutionise the tech industry and that its new headquarters was going to be based right here in Winford.

This triggered a wave of investment as for the first time in living memory new people began moving in, the town’s schools are being refurbished and the main street has seen more business in the last year than in the last ten combined. It’s an exciting time in Winford whether you’re an old hand whose family have been here for generations or a new arrival.

For the teens of the town it’s an exciting and hectic time navigating the strange new world they find themselves in and making new friends and connections and dealing with the traditional teenage problems of dates and acne. But those are not your only problem are they? You’re something different from the kids. A monster...

What is this?

This is a Monsterhearts 2e game. You pick a skin (class), and act out some shameless teen melodrama full of sex and confusion and terrible life decisions, plus you’re a monster so you might also need to eat people or something. It’s pretty easy to pick up -- all you need is your skin and the reference sheet.

All core and second skins are acceptable except the Heir and the Disciple. Also the optional skins below are available.

If you feel like signing up, write up a brief description of your character (most people like to do these in first person, in-character), fill out you character sheet and post them both here. Once you’ve posted this, I’ll ask some questions to help get a feel for the character, before making final picks. I'm looking for around four-five characters, which means I'll probably end up taking six.

Submissions will probably be open until about 5pm GMT, Saturday 09/10/2021. That said i'll be fairly liberal with extensions if people need more time. Check out the discord for the game here for help, questions, or just to chat. Or the much better populated general Monsterhearts Swampthing discord filled with cool and helpful people.

Reference Pictures are not required, but they'll help me remember your character better, so I'd recommend doing it.

Reference Sheet and Core Skins
Cerberus
Chosen
Serpentine

Town Creation

The only idea of the town I have right now is that it’s a small and was kind of forgotten town. Now it’s facing issues of gentrification and confrontation between people who’ve lived there for generations and newcomers. Still exactly what the town is like and how you interact with it is up to you. If your Selkie needs a beach it’s by the beach if your Fae likes to walk in the forests it has trees around it etc. etc.

General Considerations:

Monsterhearts is a game that frequently involves tricky subject matter (racism, homophobia and other forms of shittiness, physical/emotional abuse), just kind of by definition. If any of you get freaked out during play, please talk to me about it. It’s important people feel safe here -- I care more about your emotional well-being than I do about this storygame topic. After doing selections, I'll be bringing up any boundaries players have to try and make sure nothing comes up before hand, but again, if at any time something makes you uncomfortable, just say so, no need to explain why. Basically, everyone's fun and well-being is important, so we'll all collectively avoid being creeps or jerks, alright?

New players are more than welcome to app - I'll be more than happy to help guide people through the character creation process. Please don't let all these intimidate you - if this game looks fun to you and you've got both an idea and time, you should totally app a character!

Thanks to Rauri / godfish / AdjectiveNoun / gazetter for most of this OP. In true slacker fashion, most of it is copied and pasted from them.

Ferrosol fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Questions! Lovely questions.

Shankar the Infernal

What's the oddest thing the Baron has asked you to steal?

What happened to the last person you sent onto the Baron? Do you feel guilty?

Where do you go when you want to be alone for a while?

Lola the Mortal
What's the biggest thing you wish you could change about yourself?

What happened between you and the last person that you thought was the "one". Why didn't it work out?

What do you miss most from your time in Utica?

Luke the Neighbour

So you're not sure what you want to do with your life. Relax you've got time. Is there anything you definitely don't want to do?

Do you get compared to your siblings a lot? What do you do to try and stand out from them?

What's your favourite place to hang out at in Winford?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Right recruitment is closed. Shockingly you all made it in. Please sort out your backstory strings.

Also

Your homeroom class is History taught by Mr Greene a barely functional alcoholic in his late 50s who appears to be counting down the days till he retires. He'll forgive pretty much anything as long as you don't make extra work for him.

[Mr. Greene]

[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []
[] [] [] []

Decide where you're sitting and then I'll ask you questions about your fellow students.

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

[Mr. Greene]

[Sam] [Lilly] [David] [Hannah]
[Eden] [Serina] [Luke] [Lewis]
[Lola] [Alex] [Shankar] [Mike]
[Jake] [Ashley] [Eve] [Cassie]

Serina

Cassie Walsh seems to really have it in for you. What did you do that so upset her?

What is it about Sam Wallace that you find so amusing?

Eden Carmichael keeps trying to recruit you for one of the sports teams. Which one is it and why does she think you’d be good at it?

Luke

Why does David Mason keep trying to make friends with you? Why have you turned him down so far?

Hannah Pope has been absent for a while. Why have people been saying she’s been absent from school and how do you know it’s not true?

Alex Marsh used to bully you right? How did you get him to stop?

Shankar

Why do you think the Baron warned you to stay away from Mike Woodward?

How did you get Lewis Green into trouble? Was it deliberate?

Lilly Ward did something nice for you. What was it and do you still feel you owe her for it?

Lola

What did Ashley Stone ask you to keep a secret? Have you kept it?

What is it that creeps you out about Eve O’Connor?

Jake Robinson is obsessed with something, What is it and why does he keep talking about it with you?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Thread is up https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3982595