Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

I enjoyed this show to the end and thought it was competently executed and I don't mean to be a downer or saying anyone is wrong for enjoying the show but...

I legitimately am just completely dumbfounded that this show is such a phenomena. :psyduck: Like on the level that I feel like I'm living in some sort of bizarro world. Maybe it's my exposure to stuff like, I dunno, Danganronpa or something that has made me kinda numb for the premise. Like it genuinely feels like lack of current prestige TV show in combination with Netflix's algorithms made this show so popular by a happy coincidence.

Like the show doesn't feel like it has any real good hook. No real character development. Nothing that hooks you real good. I admit I'm not a smart watcher since I did not catch the Front Man's identity. The entire cop plot and its conclusion was a whole load of nothing and obvious from the start and feels like the conclusion serves absolutely no purpose unless there's a season 2. No character felt genuinely interesting apart from the North Korean woman I guess, because I wanted to hear more about her history and how she handles things.

I...like, I'd consider Extracurricular, Live (yes it's a show that portrays cops in a decent light and probably whitewashes things and starts slow but I felt way more interested about the characters and their internal processes than in this show) way more interesting pieces of Korean entertainment on Netflix than this piece. Hell, I'd say the same for Itaewon Class which becomes pretty comical/tropey occasionally or, hell, the Korean version of Designated Survivor.

Like, I want to underline again, the show is...competent and entertaining but nothing about it felt like it would be a hit. I can't be the only person thinking it feels bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Shneak posted:

This was a fun show for the first six episodes and then gets unbearable as soon as the English VIPs show up. I get the voyeurism theme but they just took me out of it. It didn't really stick the landing either. drat Gi-hun, go be a good dad for a second.

I still don't understand the squid game's (the actual children's game) rules despite it being explained twice but I would've picked umbrella so I would've died anyway.

Oh yeah the English-speaking VIPs are like some actual bad anime dub quality overacting to stereotypes and I'm not sure if it's bad casting (lol just get someone who speaks English), directing, intentional or what

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

Jerkface posted:

(...)

also one last thing that amused me: korean dramas love to have people yelling loudly about poo poo and this show has a bunch of it. I love seeing the idiosyncrasies of different regional media.

After recommending my parents some Korean TV from Netflix this was unironically the comment I remember the most from some specific show and it was a net negative for them. We're arguably from a more introspective culture than the US, too, so that might affect things for the worse.