Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Some people had questions if the players knew there would be only one winner. There was big hint dropped in the start of the 2nd episode. They were told the prize money would increase per dead player and at the end the prize money would be 4.56 billion. you can only have that amount if there is only one player left.

No one seemed to get the hint but it was there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Teek posted:

Isn't that the same way they promote lottery winnings, regardless of how many split the prize?

A lottery is a preset amount of money each time. They announce the prize pool and then people pay tickets to win it. Subsequent prize pool are affect by the previous one but the current one is not increased based on the amount of players in the current pool.

This prize pool increases based off of the amount of people in the game who die. There is only one way they can say the exact amount of money the winner will get. They planned on only one winner.

We are talking about the same people that think say eliminated instead of dying is clever. And drop a hint for the bridge game. Or drew the future games on the walls of the dorm room.The game masters love to heavily hint at things.

Edit: They probably would have said you can win up to 4.56 billion if they wanted multiple winners. But they have a history of double speak to imply hints so I'm still of the impression they were trying to hint only 1 winner.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 19, 2021

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Tea Bone posted:

I could be wrong but I think they phrased it along the lines of "the total possible prize is 4.56 billion." Implying that it might not get that high.
I just learned that if you screenshot Netflix it blacks the screen out but leaves the subtitles. I went to take a screenshot of the scene in question. Here is what they say when a player ask how much they will win if they beat all 6 games.

I took that as there will be only 1 winner but obviously it could be taken a different way.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

So why did the brother?

live in a lovely apartment and was behind on rent. the front man clearly believes in the game. I assuming that means he wouldn't have an issue with taking the money and spending it on himself.

Also why did he even leave any hint of the squid game at his apartment. His brother is a detective. Like the likelihood the detective using the card to find him was low but not zero. Why risk it at all?

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

OnlyBans posted:

Haven't you ever met a programmer or grad student? I've known tons of people that live way below their means because they don't really need anything else. They are a sort of neo-monks. I could totally see the brother doing that. Just paying rent and living humbly without any worries just on an island by himself.

That totally a thing that can happen but that isn't the vibe they gave him for the rest of the show. He is sipping on fancy alcohol and jazz while watching the games. And drinks champagne in a limo after the games.

There might be some story of a humble man becoming corrupted by the greed of games but none of that is on screen as far as I can see.

Shwqa fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Oct 20, 2021

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Ghostnuke posted:

I mean, they have all that fancy top shelf poo poo around for the VIPs. He's in charge of the whole island, it's not hard to follow that he'd get into it.

I mean that is true but that doesn't tell a story of a man that chooses to live below his means. If the front man enjoys luxurious good then why did he chose to live in poverty when we know he has money?

Maybe the frontman spent their money but again the story doesn't seem to suggest that. The frontman is shown as a calculating person that is always one step ahead. It just feels like there were two different characters written and then combined at the last minute.

Ultimately it isn't the big deal but I think it hurts the side story quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Just pretend everything after the mother dying was a bad dream.