Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weldon Pemberton
May 19, 2012

The first two episodes are the best. If you removed a couple of elements like the beginning of the cop side plot and everything with Oh Il-nam then they could just be a feature film by themselves about how poverty leads people down horrible paths because they feel they have no other choice.

The rest is good as well, just in a different way that isn't as unique.

Antifa Spacemarine posted:

I absolutely hated the portrayal of Ali.

I think Steve Yun is correct to point out that it's a different context in Korea as opposed to the West, and the writers were clearly trying to portray Ali sympathetically. But I still have mixed thoughts because I felt they struggled to achieve what they were trying to do. They avoided making him at all morally ambiguous to the point he comes off a bit flat compared to the other characters who are given similar screentime. Another fundamentally good character like Gi-hun has a lot more complexity because he is shown to not be completely saintly when he's in a weak position (e.g.: the effects of his gambling addiction on those in his life and the whole of episode 6). The closest it got to Ali seeming multi-faceted was when he clapped back at the player who started being racist towards him. IDK I don't want to be too harsh on the writers due to their good intentions and the fact that the situation may be so bad that he has to be portrayed that way for some Korean viewers to sympathize with him, but it was something that didn't really work for me either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU