Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I mean, she knew her son was being pursued by the police. I'm sure she holds out hope of getting a letter from Hong Kong or some other country with complicated extradition laws but deep down she knows he's probably dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Elite posted:

Comparison with Hunger Games: Saw someone bring up Hunger Games earlier in the thread and I have to say I really didn't like Hunger Games. I think most death game (or debt game) stories work because they're a twisted reflection of society. In Squid Game the games are brutal and arbitrary, but they're arguably people's best bet to claw themselves out of the holes they're stuck in hence why people willingly participate. Other stories can have cruel games that are arguably fairer than the real world, or harsh stakes that functionally resemble what happens in the real world anyway.

Hunger Games in comparison made literally 0 sense to me. That world makes no sense and it's comments on society really don't ring true for me. In real life the inequalities of the world stem more from selfishness and indifference to other people's suffering (and finding various contortions to justify this), rather than a deliberate wanton desire to inflict cruelty upon people for sport. Like I said I'm a sucker for death game / debt game / battle royale stuff but I really didn't like the first Hunger Games movie and saw no reason to give the series further chances.

Hunger Games is a clear reflection of society, just not one that many Goons are likely to agree with.

You have hard working salt-of-the-Earth people who love god and each other on their farms oppressed by a cabal of effete urban homosexuals who both mooch off their work and celebrate their deaths.

A brave hero who speaks truth to power gets an unstoppable following and they kill all the urban homosexuals.

The movie and book have a quick fig leaf where one of the proud noble Republicans is black. You'll note the meltdown fans of the book had at her blackness in the movie because in a book its easy to just imagine the character is white.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
It's a culture not a costume.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
There are boundaries, so you have to knock the offense out of bounds sumo-style.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

lezard_valeth posted:

A thing I found weird was that they could decide to vote to stop the game while a game was currently underway. While this wouldn't be an issue for most of the games since getting 50% of the players to agree would be hard

One of the rules is that once a game starts, it must be played to completion. But they can vote to stop any time not in game.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I thought it was intended as more of a Deer Hunter ending, though given it's success I can't imagine them not making Vronsky: Deer Hunter II.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
It's one of the easiest conversions possible: just chop off the last three zeros. ₩10,000 is about $10. That is how I did it when I was in Korea shortly before the plandemic.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I'm pretty flexible when it comes to dubs vs subs though I usually prefer dubs just because I like to shitpost/play MOO2 while watching most TV. But in this case the subs really are a must. Not only is the acting bad, everyone sounds the same to the point where it can be hard to tell who is talking unless you are looking at the screen.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Illinois is a famously corrupt state.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Also is the stuff about Korean cops leaving one chamber empty and loading one blank into their service weapon true? That seems insanely stupid.

Why is that stupid? It makes it really hard for them to go Rambo on a suspect which is something American cops could benefit from.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

fadam posted:

Not really interested in detailing the thread, but if you’re going to make the decision to outfit your police officers with guns, wouldn’t you want it to work like 100% of the time in the case they have to use it?

No, because I don't trust cops to "have to use it" responsibly. Creating as many barriers as possible is a good thing.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

YoursTruly posted:

People got to use the bathroom again. I assume someone did something.

The fact that there aren't cameras aimed into all the stalls seems out of character for the voyeurism of the VIPs though.

They can gently caress the guards if they want some semi-consensual action and I don't think there were any Japanese VIPs.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
No reason they couldn't have the first person to make it "home" on the Squid Game win and then shoot everybody else. It would be perfectly in keeping with the broader MO.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Honestly, this makes sense because squids are famous for having six tentacles.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Haven't you ever met a programmer or grad student? I've known tons of people that live way below their means because they don't really need anything else. They are a sort of neo-monks. I could totally see the brother doing that. Just paying rent and living humbly without any worries just on an island by himself.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Can someone explain the red hair thing though still lost on that bit

It's pretty easy if you know anything about Korean culture.

After he won the Squid game, he joined a Kpop boy band as the bad boy. That's what he's been doing in the intervening year and also why there are so many seemingly "loose threads" like why he didn't go to the orphanage earlier or see his daughter earlier: it's because he was on tour.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
I'd be cool with other countries as long as it remains rooted in a distinctly Korean vision. Japan or China would be cool but I feel (know) that would be an international incident so a softer target like the US would be good. Korea has a complicated relationship with the US, especially as it relates to the false promises of capitalism and the failures of communism.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

The next season is probably staying in Korea for the continuing adventures of Gi Hun. Really doubt they put him in a new country. But I can definitely see spinoffs in other countries that the original creator of the show has nothing to do with.

OK wet blanket saying what will happen and be bad.

Let us dream while things are still limitless.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Since the first season had legally distinct from Darth Vader, the second season will have legally distinct from Darth Maul. Or, in a more controversial twist, legally distinct from Gremloids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Adding an emotionally stunted character with affluenza would easily fit the themes of the show.