Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
lemme go against the grain and say I thought the show was dogshit. good couple of first eps, but the plot is poo poo and the games are unfair + luck so not really fun either. the ending is one of the worst I've seen as well. My wife and I predicted literally every twist. the sin of the games basically just being luck kills the entire shows concept for me. they were always extremely unclear about the rules, what was allowed/not allowed. pretty shocked how popular this is but I'm sure it'll fade away soon.

if you enjoyed this kind of concept and would like to see it done better (imo) a prime example is the anime: Kaiji sole survivor. Another good one is the j-drama Liar Game. There's many other examples, since death game was a pretty popular manga genre for a while. I feel bad for the writers who made much more sensical games and compelling dramas than this but this one popped off.

edit: the perfect example is the trading marbles thing that the people above me mentioned. it seemed obvious that was the way it should've gone as described by the rules, but it didn't because it was more "dramatic". and I guess that worked because everyone says 6 is sooooo great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

grate deceiver posted:

I mean, I agree in principle, but this wasn't that kind of game to begin with. There was never room for some clever play to turn the tables the point is that it's just a dumb random race for the rich dipshits to bet on. Fairness or skill don't matter, because as we see the VIPs themselves are pretty stupid and just bet on whatever number feels good. Notice how no one bet on any of the finalists. Whether that was intended or not is another question though.

Also, the best adaptation of this kind of story is the actual Korean gameshow Genius, you should watch that.

I watched genius and enjoyed it a lot. Although only season 3 (I think, wither 3 or 2). I thought the contestents were too stupid in other seasons. That's another good recc for people who liked this show or concept

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

grate deceiver posted:

It was kinda hosed up of Gi-Hun to wait an entire year to get that kid out of the orphanage.

I was rofling at this part, especially when he gave the son to the mom of the guy who killed his sister? Also he (seemingly) never told either of them about their fates, leading them to worry probably for the rest of their lives. Lol