Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Pikmin 3 split screen co-op was great.
Also Warriors/Musou games are nice chill split-screen co-op where you don't have to coordinate closely but both players can be off in different parts of the map completing different objectives but feeling like you are both contributing. Split-screen in some levels of Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity felt like it was killing the Switch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

deep dish peat moss posted:

Many of the Musou games handle split screen by significantly reducing the number of on-screen enemies which kind of defeats the point of a Musou game :smith: My friend and I were both very into them but we would buy each new one and excitedly sit down to play co-op and end up thinking "Well this kind of sucks" when we would each only have 5-10 enemies on our screen at a time. It leads to a lot of situations where you do things like stand around a lot waiting for more enemies to appear on-screen so you can kill them, and fights against enemy generals often involve all the regular enemies disappearing until the officer dies. I wish I had a better sense of which ones handled it well so I could suggest them but I can't even find a list online, so if you're going to pick up a musou game for co-op I would suggest reading up on what co-op is like in that game first. There are some that are particularly worth avoiding co-op in. Warriors Orochi 3 for example - player 2 can't manage characters, leveling, equipment or switching weapons plus all the text and character portraits cover their screen almost completely.

But that being said yeah they're fun as hell co-op games if you're playing one of the ones that handled it well. I remember us getting really into Warriors Orochi 4 in particular but it definitely had enemy pop-in problems in co-op.

e: I think the spinoff IP games are particularly bad about co-op and the mainline Dynasty/Samurai/Warriors Orochi games are better for it (in general) because the spinoffs have a ton of other things going on to eat up system resources, but someone correct me if I'm wrong and there's a spinoff one that doesn't kill the console like Hyrule Warriors does. Persona Strikers might be a good co-op example (Haven't tried it) because it has fairly low-ish enemy counts in the first place and is more about making each fight a bit more nuanced than spamming you with larger numbers.

Only ones we have played are Samurai Warriors 4 and Age of Calamity. Didn't notice any issues with SW4.