Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Cythereal posted:

This is the only part of your post I disagree with. In my book, neither Claude nor Edelgard belong in a conversation about the best physical unit in the game. To me, that's a conversation about Dimitri, Felix, Catherine, Ferdinand, and Leonie. Dimitri's hamstrung by his awkward class path, Felix by his Authority weakness, Ferdinand by his personal getting off to a slow start (and Dimitri nay-sayers, note that Dimitri gets Ferdinand's personal baked into his own in part two), and Catherine by her pre-promote nature.

And personality-wise, I love Leonie with everyone who's not Byleth. Along with Marianne, she's one of the characters I poach every run.

Wait you're knocking all those you list but what's wrong with Claude or Edelgard?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Edelgard is one of the more consistent units in the game with incredible growths across the board bar, like. Luck. What the heck?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah Felix Ferdinand and Catherine don’t hold a candle to either Claude or Edelgard, not even close besides maybe Catherine. Dimitri is the weakest of the three lords by a notable margin.

Real talk Felix is probably the most overrated of the games better units by a big margin

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Nov 19, 2021

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

I think Claude is the worst of the 3 lords overall. Early game he doesn't add as much to the team as Dimitri's big damage with Tempest Lance or Edelgard's... just general good-ness (base ranks in Axe and Armor and solid base stats). For the first few chapters I actually think he's worse than Leonie (to be fair, I also think Dimitri is worse than Dedue early game). Late game his personal class is cool but just doesn't match up to Raging Storm or Battalion Wrath/Vantage strats.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wait you're knocking all those you list but what's wrong with Claude or Edelgard?

Edelgard's growths just aren't great if you overlook her MAG and CHA. 55 STR, yes, but her HP growth is the same as Dorothea and Ingrid and Leonie, and her DEX, SPD, and DEF are all worse than iffy. Since it's nigh impossible to get her MAG working in concert with her STR, my experience with Edelgard is that her big saving graces are Raging Storm and that she's easy to put on a wyvern. Look past her MAG and her growths are very similar to Hilda: good, and a solid piece for the army, but not great.

Then again, in my one CF game I was expecting her to get the Sword of Seiros that she has in every other route, and the Shield of Seiros that every other route gets (both of which are attuned to the Crest of Seiros which only Edelgard of the playable units has), so I made her a Dancer and worked on her flying with the goal of making her an immortal dodgy tank who would rapidly regen any blow that did hit her. :v:

Claude just isn't great, in my experience, until part two. Even then, I find his main utility is in buzzing around constantly picking off weak enemies and troubleshooting due to the ridiculous threat range he presents. I've tried, a number of times, to make him a more direct combat unit and it's just never worked well.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Claude's offensive growths are very similar to Leonie: same Str, Claude has 5% more Dex, Leonie has 5% more Spd. Leonie has better Def, Claude has better Cha. On paper they perform near identically in terms of crit-killing, and Claude also gets all his unique benefits. RNG is RNG and sometimes you just get bad rolls, but Claude pretty much does everything Leonie does outside of being able to hop on a pegasus. Leonie's Personal is really good and her better Def means she does a better job of actually keeping in range of multiple archers, but in terms of actually deleting units they're pretty comparable.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Claude has all of Leonie’s strengths while getting his own unique advantages that are absurdly powerful. Mobility and consistent ability to one round are the best combat things you can look for in Maddening and Claude gets both which is extremely rare, especially when he can do it from a safe distance thanks to getting the second best crest weapon.

Edelgard on average has enough stats to both reliably kill and take hits on Maddening which is also rare and in demand, but Raging Storm is a utility nothing else in the game really comes close to besides Warp. There are so many uses and situations that can be solved by Raging Storm and can’t be replicated that she’s a top five unit by default. Not only can it be used to reliably end maps at will, it’s even just as versatile as warp. Even if she didn’t have such excellent overall average stats Raging Storm is enough to guarantee her as a top notch unit that only the best of the best compete with

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Extra turns is extremely valuable and there's a reason Awakening's endgame tier list was basically: do you have Galeforce? If not, can you get Galeforce?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

Like we know you dislike Edelgard but “she’s an overrated unit” is a heck of a spicy take on one of the arguably best, if not the best units in the game :shrug:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Clawtopsy posted:

Like we know you dislike Edelgard but “she’s an overrated unit” is a heck of a spicy take on one of the arguably best, if not the best units in the game :shrug:

She has Raging Storm.

Beyond that, I honestly just rate her as a second tier character. She's in the vein I place Ingrid, Petra, Seteth, Hilda, Shamir, and Claude (and on the magical side, Dorothea, Mercedes, and Marianne). A very good unit, but not the best outside her one unique trick. Yeah, she's an amazing wyvern. There's a lot of those. Her personal class is mediocre and she has extreme difficulty combining what I see as her particularly unique thing - her 50% or better STR and MAG - beyond the gimmicky role of Dancer, whose other unique property for combat doesn't apply if she's toting Aymr. Heck, Seteth arguably belongs in the top tier.

Even in a hypothetical fifth route where everyone's on the same side, I just don't think I'd use Edelgard beyond the beagles' early game except for if she gets Raging Storm to abuse.

The way I play, I do most of my killing in the enemy phase.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Nov 19, 2021

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Have you actually played on Maddening since you’re just kind of wrong here, either due to bias from a poor Edelgard turnout or bias against the character.

She’s vastly superior in every way to things like Seteth and while yes she’s another Wyvern when you have tons of those she’s the best one of the best class so it doesn’t really matter

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Cythereal posted:

She has Raging Storm.

Beyond that, I honestly just rate her as a second tier character.

"Besides the ability to take extra turns on her own and circumvent the basic action economy of the game, she's only second tier"

Path of Radiance Sothe would be absolutely amazing if he could do Raging Storm with his dinky little knives.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Raging Storm is unbelievably powerful, the best single unit ability in the game, but I do think that Dimitri's battalion wrath/vantage is not too far behind -- on demand almost invincible enemy phase that cleanly wipes even endgame enemies is really, really good.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Smiling Knight posted:

Raging Storm is unbelievably powerful, the best single unit ability in the game, but I do think that Dimitri's battalion wrath/vantage is not too far behind -- on demand almost invincible enemy phase that cleanly wipes even endgame enemies is really, really good.

The issue I take with Battalion Vantage/Wrath is the degree of dedication it takes to obtain before Dimitri has his tantrum.

Broadly on New Game, either, you forgo Death Blow and Hit+20 on Dimitri to make him work during the tantrum, or you don't and he functions in the midgame.

It's very powerful but Dimitri feels like he's completely crippled before it. Actually it's more like he's crippled by his axe weakness and this helps him back from the brink.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Natural 20 posted:

The issue I take with Battalion Vantage/Wrath is the degree of dedication it takes to obtain before Dimitri has his tantrum.

Broadly on New Game, either, you forgo Death Blow and Hit+20 on Dimitri to make him work during the tantrum, or you don't and he functions in the midgame.

It's very powerful but Dimitri feels like he's completely crippled before it. Actually it's more like he's crippled by his axe weakness and this helps him back from the brink.

I just skip Death Blow on Dimitri tbh. Last time I played maddening BL he got to A Auth in... I think chapter 9? with a Sword focused Dimitri in the Lord class, which gives bonus Authority points - probably Chapter 10 if you were sticking with Lances. He's worse around Chapter 8, which is when you'd usually master Death Blow, but I think that's the easiest part of the game anyway so who cares. And once he gets the enemy phase strat going, who cares about 6 player phase damage. I do think Archer and Hit +20 is a must on him but you can get D+ bows without too much pain on top of the Sword or Lance/Riding training, and he can take his time getting mastery of that in some of the monster focused levels like Byleth paralogue and chapter 10.

I think Edelgard is better though because she's more useful in the early early game (and in a harder route too as you don't get Dedue and then Catherine/Cyril to help carry) and Raging Storm is very dumb.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dimitri is very good even without Battalion/Vantage at least, and is probably the best unit on the Blue Lions if your Ingrid gets STR-screwed.

Cythereal posted:

She has Raging Storm.

Beyond that, I honestly just rate her as a second tier character. She's in the vein I place Ingrid, Petra, Seteth, Hilda, Shamir, and Claude (and on the magical side, Dorothea, Mercedes, and Marianne). A very good unit, but not the best outside her one unique trick. Yeah, she's an amazing wyvern. There's a lot of those. Her personal class is mediocre and she has extreme difficulty combining what I see as her particularly unique thing - her 50% or better STR and MAG - beyond the gimmicky role of Dancer, whose other unique property for combat doesn't apply if she's toting Aymr. Heck, Seteth arguably belongs in the top tier.

Even in a hypothetical fifth route where everyone's on the same side, I just don't think I'd use Edelgard beyond the beagles' early game except for if she gets Raging Storm to abuse.

The way I play, I do most of my killing in the enemy phase.

Raging Storm is still extremely valuable even if you're a mostly EP player. The ability to duck in and out of threat range is extremely, extremely good. Her personal class is bad, but you don't use it.

Being arguably the best offensive wyvern is pretty much a big case for one of the top tier units considering how good wyvern actually is. 'But not the best outside of her unique trick' is a disservice to how good that trick actually is. Why wouldn't you take one of her best aspects into account? It's like rating Olivia without Dance or Constance without her Crest or Bolting.

Seteth is a very good unit but in no way is he cracking the top tiers.

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Natural 20 posted:

Yeah, I did have to forgo Death Blow to get it set up, but once it gets rolling you don't need player phase. Hit +20 is totally doable though, that's only a couple weeks' worth of lessons. I didn't find Dimitri crippled before Vantage/Wrath either, he still has top of the line physical stats to fall back onto, along with Tempest Lance and enough Charisma to delete one entire dangerous enemy group with Blaze.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 08 - Field of the Eagle and Lion with Bifauxnen

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

You aren't actually limited to one effect from cooking, multiple meals will stack, including repeats of the same meal. If you've got a big enough pile of Bullheads you can run around with +2-3 spd all the time.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Hey everyone! I feel like now is about the time for a catch up with our team and their growths, before we introduce and analyse our new friends. Since Shamir, Lysithea and Leonie only joined recently, we're going to avoid looking at them.

The incredibly handy fe3h.com has a stat calculator here that I'll be using extensively.

Values in my game are on the left, estimated values are in brackets on the right.

They aren't *perfect* I haven't written down exactly how many levels a person has in each class, but since I've tried to level them optimally values will be at most a decimal out.

Byleth - Level 15 - Thief

code:
HP  37 (34.8)
STR 19 (19.55)
MAG 13 (10.9)
DEX 17 (17.8)
SPD 18 (16.8)
LCK 18 (14.3)
DEF 09 (10.9)
RES 10 (9.95)
CHA 23 (13.8)
So the obvious outlier for Byleth is his Charm. It's nearly 10 points above the expected average. This is entirely reasonable though because hosting Tea parties for birthdays lets Byleth increase his charm stat each time he has one, so by the end of the game that stat will be monstrous for him. Beyond that, my Byleth is notably a little faster than he should be, which I've been feeling, but lacks in his defense, which I've also been feeling a little. The speed generally offsets the higher damage, so right now he's in a good space.

Edelgard - Level 16 - Brigand

code:
HP  44 (39.3)
STR 27 (24.1)
MAG 14 (12.75)
DEX 11 (11.75)
SPD 11 (14)
LCK 10 (9.8)
DEF 10 (11.25)
RES 10 (8.7)
CHA 19 (19.75)
I've definitely noticed what's happened with Edelgard. Her strength is absolutely monstrous, she's three points above the (very high) norm and has +2 str on top of that from her skills. But her speed is absolutely terrible, almost everything gets a double on her, and she's not running her usual defense to deal with it. Fortunately this is fine for her because all she really needs is for her axe combat arts to hit like a truck and boy do they. If her speed remains this abysmal her promotion to Wyvern Rider will be able to rectify some of it, with a base speed of 14. One of the bigger problems I'm having with Edelgard is that she's too strong. It's proving to be very difficult to get levels on her classes because the typical class XP trap doesn't work when you hit for 10 damage using a rusted bow.

Dorothea - Level 15 - Mage

code:
HP  30 (30.1)
STR 8 (7.55)
MAG 18 (18.1)
DEX 17 (13.55)
SPD 14 (12.6)
LCK 12 (10.9)
DEF 05 (5.85)
RES 14 (14.4)
CHA 12 (14.1)
I've spent a lot of time thinking Dorothea was allergic to getting Magic levels, but she's actually dead on average here. Her speed is a little better than normal, but most important is her surprisingly good growth in Dex, which means she's more accurate from 3 range, where she often likes to sit. Her low Charm is a little bit of a worry, but it's not crippling as it is.

Hubert - Level 16 - Mage

code:
HP  26 (27.8)
STR 12 (10.2)
MAG 22 (21.85)
DEX 16 (14.05)
SPD 13 (13.75)
LCK 16 (11.25)
DEF 08 (7.45)
RES 10 (15.55)
CHA 12 (12)
Well any hopes of Hubert tanking anything are out the window. He appears to be on a Res protest. Beyond that, he's seemingly copying Dorothea, with a high Dex growth helping significantly with his 3 range spells. All in all, straddling the average in his offenses is fine by me and should work out well enough for him.

Yuri - Level 15 - Brigand

code:
HP  31 (33)
STR 17 (18.55)
MAG 10 (11.55)
DEX 12 (12.8)
SPD 18 (17.8)
LCK 11 (13.4)
DEF 09 (9.6)
RES 11 (11.7)
CHA 18 (15.5)
Things aren't really going well for Yuri. His allergy to attacking stats is beginning to become a bother and it's not helped by stats that, aside from Charm as across the board, weaker than they should be. He's still usable, windsweep and good speed mean that he's able to hit things and tank a little, but he's in the awkward position of nothing really being low enough that a class change would fix it.

Ferdinand - Level 15 - Brigand

code:
HP  39 (39)
STR 16 (17.05)
MAG 08 (7.8)
DEX 13 (11.6)
SPD 12 (15)
LCK 12 (11.6)
DEF 10 (10.9)
RES 05 (4.3)
CHA 16 (13.3)
Ferdinand, oh poor Ferdinand. He's not a great unit to begin with and right now he's got the same hatred of speed that Edelgard does but without any of the corresponding strength growth. Ferdinand is struggling very hard right now. He gets doubled easily, he doesn't hit very hard back. He'd be a prime dancer candidate I suppose, but Dorothea's just my preferred option for that role. Wyvern Lord might be able to do work to fix his speed issues, but it's going to be hard for him to justify his spot in the army as things stand.

Constance - Level 17 - Mage

code:
HP  26 (26.75)
STR 11 (7.45)
MAG 26 (22.1)
DEX 14 (12.55)
SPD 14 (11.9)
LCK 10 (9.05)
DEF 06 (4.75)
RES 09 (11.8)
CHA 17 (11.2)
Of course then we have Constance. My Constance is a monster. There's no other way to describe her. Her Magic growth is completely bananas, going four points higher than expected and she's paired it which a speed growth that's two points higher than expected. That's not to discount her Luck, Dex or Charm which are all above what's expected for her. She's even surprisingly strong for some reason. As she is, most of maddening will fall to her and I hope she's able to keep it up!

Malah
May 18, 2015

Constance and Edelgard carrying everyone else's mediocre growths, very fitting :hmmyes:

Looking forward to watching her vaporize fools with Bolting :science:

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I got incredibly lucky in that my Ferdinand turned out like a godless killing machine on the Maddening run I’ve started due to this LP so it is saddening to see him fail and be reminded that’s he’s still not a great unit. At least he still gets Swift Strikes.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That Ferdie is in line with my general experiences. On paper, he's honestly a pretty good unit, with a decent path into Wyvern Rider. But..... he just never really pans out that strongly?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Felix Hugo Fraldarius

HP: 45%
Str: 55%
Lck: 40%
Mag: 30%
Def: 30%
Dex: 45%
Res: 20%
Spd: 55%
Cha: 30%

Strengths: Sword, Bow, Brawling
Weaknesses: Reason, Authority
Aptitude: Reason: Black Magic Crit +10: Grants Crit +10 when using black magic.

Personal Skill: Lone Wolf: Unit deals 5 extra damage when no battalion is assigned or when battalion endurance is 0.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/felix/

Nat's Thoughts

I want to call Felix a newbie trap, but that feels very unfair to him. He is set up in a way that makes him seem tremendously powerful with drawbacks that show up later in the game though, so perhaps it's not too unfair.

Felix is the Blue Lions analogue for Petra and Leonie. Felix trades crit and a little speed for more strength which is fine but pushes him away from the crit based builds I discussed for the two girls. Instead he relies on his good growths in the physical offensive stats to power through the game. He's helped by the crest of Fraldarius which gives a 40% chance to hit for an additional 5 damage on any attack. On a double this plays out as a 74% chance to proc, which are pretty good odds as things go.

On the flipside he's not all that sturdy, both his defensive growths are middling to poor, so he'll often have to rely on his speed to tank most enemies.

Felix's personal skill is why I think of him as a newbie trap. Early on, when the game is often the most difficult it feels incredibly powerful. Your battalions are bad and he effectively gets a conditionless +5 damage all around which is absolutely bonkers. So a lot of people will gravitate to him as a result.

But very quickly, battalion power, utility and levels will catch up to this and outstrip it, meaning that Felix has the choice to use his personal skill or equip a battalion on an authority weakness. And authority weaknesses are absolutely awful to deal with because of just how strong battalions are in this game.

So ultimately whenever I've run him, I've seen Felix fall off in the mid to endgame as his raw power doesn't compete with the characters equipping B rank battalions.

That said, 55/55 offensive growths are nothing to sneeze at and he will absolutely pull his weight in this campaign.

The Plan

Archer->Brigand->Assassin->Wyvern Rider->Wyvern Lord.

Felix will be doing the standard physical male combo into Wyvern Lord. He'll be doing it by way of assassin though as getting him into archer and brigand prevented me from getting him ready enough for Wyvern Rider on level 20. That's fine, Assassin is perfectly serviceable for him though.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 8, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Huh, I've always seen Ingrid as the analogue to Petra/Leonie. Sure she's not nearly as strong, but she can go into the same classes they do and she (RNG willing) blossoms really well into mid and late game like they do, whereas with Felix like you said he can kinda wobble and fall off a little.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
A weird direction I’ve done with Felix is actually brawling. His crest works really well with the constant Brave weapons, he still has a punching strength, and Gauntlets being light means he can wear his family’s crest shield without much issue. The Crest shield does a decent bit to mitigate his innate squishiness and you can always unequip it if you want a bit more speed.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I play exclusively on maddening and i've never had felix be anything but a monster in endgame when I use him, so this is a new perspective for me
I also just always spec him as a dodge tank and give him jeralt's battalion

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Flowers so he's always motivated.

Sauna time to give him bonus to instruction.

Brute force those Authority lessons down his throat until he hits at least C.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The point about Jeralt's Battalion is a good one, because for all intents and purposes, they're a battalion with enough power that they can allow one ground-based physical unit to coast and not actually level Authority. If you focus your training elsewhere, either other units can get more powerful more quickly, or you can focus-fire other skills on that unit to try to get an early -faire or other useful thing on them.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Felix is by no means a bad unit on Maddening, he’s still a great unit. He’s just outclassed by the real top tiers and heavily overhyped by some people when units like Leonie and Petra completely trash him. He’s still excellent and as an actual character he’s one of the best written in the game

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

RevolverDivider posted:

Felix is by no means a bad unit on Maddening, he’s still a great unit. He’s just outclassed by the real top tiers and heavily overhyped by some people when units like Leonie and Petra completely trash him. He’s still excellent and as an actual character he’s one of the best written in the game

Ehhhh? I'd be interested in hearing your take on how Felix is one of the best written in the game.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'm not the poster who said it, but I do think Felix is well written.

He's a trauma child from the Tragedy of Duscur. The Tragedy of Duscur is a big pivotal event that ends up being a primary motivator for a lot of the Blue Lions. The majority of them doubled down on the chivalry angle, where everyone who died had died with purpose, and they should respect the deaths. They essentially contextualize them as proud deaths, and something to aspire to.

Enter Felix. He's hard mourning his brother, who died there. Everyone is saying that he should be proud of his brother dying a noble death, when he's still mourning the loss of his brother. Which means that everyone around him and his society is putting pressure on invalidating his feelings. He hard rejects chivalry at this point because of all this bullshit. His brother's fiancee and his best friend is full bore into the chivalry thing, taking inspiration of it. So not only is she another voice venerating his brother's death, he also has to worry about her also dying a pointless death. With all the crap going on, he focuses all his efforts on the sword because it's the only remaining thing in his life that has any logical sense to it.

He's concerned about Dimitri, because he saw Dimitri's sanity kind of crack from the Tragedy of Duscur. Dimitri was his friend, who is turning into 'the boar prince', a rage-steeped man who's one step away from breaking entirely. Canonically, Dimitri can crush someone's skull in one hand due to the strength of crests.

On the Blue Lion path, he's the only voice of dissent, and subsequently the only voice of reason when Dimitri dives off the deep end. He gets ignored once again due to the chivalry bullshit, and the chivalry bullshit kills his dad before Dimitri finally starts acting like a rational person again. Another 'proud' death. While he had complicated feelings about his dad, still losing more family is rough.

Felix is interesting primarily because of being the sole sensible voice of the Blue Lions. Everyone else either doesn't engage with the central conflict with chivalry or outright idolizes it. He's Cassandra, where he sees the bullshit of chivalry kill or threaten to kill loved ones repeatedly, while being heard by no one. Therefore, he isolates and focuses on personal improvement, because it's the only logical thing left in his life. He's prickly because people ignored what he's saying for most of his life. Most of his supports are either him colliding with the bullshit of chivalry, or people colliding with the resulting hostile isolation. He's very internally consistent because of that. He also resonates somewhat with me personally, and I suspect with a lot of people who have overbearing people in their lives who ignore their opinions.

Any of his happy endings are essentially in the cases where people manage to break through either of the two overriding central problems of his life. It's reflected in his solo ending, where he just abandons his previous life and makes his living on his sword, the only thing that makes sense. It's very melancholic. Ultimately, Felix is interesting for being a light that's constantly being shined into the ugly parts of the Kingdom, and how said ugly parts have been completely loving over everyone involved.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Basically all of that. He also fits extremely well into Black Eagles when cross recruited and has great unique fight conversations for the route as well as having some of the best endings in the game.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
It's clear Leonie is higher tier than Felix from their B support

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Episode 09 - The Flame in the Darkness with Alxprit

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Unit Reviews

Annette Fantine Dominic

HP: 25%
Str: 30%
Lck: 35%
Mag: 50%
Def: 20%
Dex: 50%
Res: 30%
Spd: 35%
Cha: 35%

Strengths: Axe, Reason, Authority
Weaknesses: Bow, Heavy Armor
Personal Skill: Perseverance: Use Rally to grant Str +4 to an ally.

More Detail along with Rea's thoughts here: https://rhematic.net/fe3h_lp/updates/annette/

Nat's Thoughts

Annette is interesting. When you look at her growths she's a less powerful Lysithea/Constance, which is unsurprising given that she's a mage in this game. But she also doesn't really compare that well to most of the secondary tier mages in the game, Hubert has a higher Magic and Speed growth for example. I was quick to write her off when I first played and even during my run on Blue Lions Maddening, I quickly replaced her out. I'm unsure of that choice myself now.

Annette brings rallies. At C+ authority she gains access to the very potent Rally Str/Rally Spd combo. Ordinarily, I dislike rallies. I believe that a unit dedicated to that slot is wasted unless we're talking the spectrum AoE rallies from Awakening or Fates. But Annette has me reconsidering. See, despite her growths she doesn't have a terrible chassis. She's a girl so she gets all the benefits of Pegasus Knight and Gremory to help her low speed and help her bias her magic growth and she has a spell list that ends in Excalibur, aka the Flier destroyer. So she can develop into a decent mage who can, in addition to what she normally does, give a physical character +4/+4. On top of that her healing list isn't exactly bad either, sporting Recover. It's very different to the likes of Alois and Ignatz who are awful units, using rally as a crutch to justify their existence.

So ultimately she's a mage that gives up some power for a spot of extra utility and honestly, the rallies have helped often enough that I don't hate the trade.

The Plan

Archer->Mage->Warlock->Gremory

Annette joined us a little later and I didn't really want to bother expending the resources to get her into Pegasus Knight. (Which yes, invalidates my commentary somewhat but meh). She should do fine in her role as support/pinch hitter with this though.

Conclusion

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 8, 2021

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I still don't like Annette because Physic is such a good spell and she doesn't get it. At the same time, she does have one advantage in being incredibly plug-and-play, even more so than normal mages. Since her spells are all universally really accurate, she doesn't really need HIt+20, so she's just very low effort to get going. Being someone who likes to do the choir singing means her Faith grows reasonably fast too. And using Faith to be recruited means that the MC can likely direct recruit her too if you sign choir regularly instead of waiting for the RNG of B-rank random week recruitment, and instead recruit her directly when you hit B.

So she takes basically no resources and effort and can always contribute something. Which is good if you are spending your attention on making some really nice project characters.

Edit: I'd still rather use Lindhardt for the absolute zero effort character though, despite the lack of Gremory.

Keldulas fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Nov 30, 2021

Malah
May 18, 2015

Rally just kind of sucks in this FE because it doesn't do enough. Annette is the least bad rally bot, and even her Rally takes a while to get to something better than "eh" from a unit that's otherwise about as "eh". Too fragile to nostank, and nothing else on her spell list really stands out other than Excalibur and Recover. She's got just enough power that she works consistently right out of the box, but she doesn't have anything more going for her that would put her in the spotlight.

I'd like to see her with Rally Mag or another standout spell, but then she would make Alois and Ignatz look even worse.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
That's why despite being the worst mage, Annette is still functional. None of the mages are fully non-functional in this game.

I personally don't understand why people list Recover as a positive point, considering that if they have Recover they certainly don't have Physic.

I also don't really take the point about nostanking on the basis that no mage can do that. Nosferatu is generally a wasted spell, all things considered. Seems like it's more just a nod to Valencia as implemented than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Yeah I suppose you're right on Recover.

Although you could be Ferdinand and have Heal/Ward/Restore for some godforsaken reason.