Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
The 2021 season is over for 20 teams, let's see how we all did:

And look forward to next season's schedule. Opening Day is March 31st...

...unless the players and owners fail to come together in baseball harmony. What's that? Labor issues? In MY favorite American pastime? It's more likely than you think! The current CBA expires December 1st, and reports are saying the two sides are "Not Close".

https://twitter.com/RA_Parker/status/1466270966124847104?s=20

Also the union is suing the league over last season. I'm sure this will be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
What's the record for games behind first place in a division? Because the Diamondbacks' 55 has to be close.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Well I guess the Marlins won't be able to lose 95+ games again if there's a lockout, at least...

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
One more year of arbitration with the A's for Chapman and Olson before, based on statistics, at least one of them ends up a Yankee :(

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Hand Knit posted:

What's the record for games behind first place in a division? Because the Diamondbacks' 55 has to be close.

I think the Braves finished like 66 games behind the 1906 Cubs. There were probably worse ones pre-1900 but I think that’s the modern record

I still love that the 1995 Royals finished 2nd in the central division…. 30 games out. The Indians won that division by 30 games, in a lockout-shortened season, which I’m almost positive is a now-unbreakable record.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/pirates/status/1377689929740906499?s=21

https://twitter.com/pirates/status/1444785211913510915?s=21

Dogshit season but amazing bookends - Hayes Opening Day homer, Cruz “Closing Day” homer. Hope springs eternal, they have to sign some pitchers

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Bittersweet season for the Mariners but they’re in a really interesting spot. They’re a pretty far distance from legit competing for a division/playoff series, but it’s straightforward to getting to that point and Dipoto has cash and prospects available to trade.

I’d be ecstatic if they trade for a frontline starter, sign a strong corner OF bat, find a long term solution at either second or third, and replace Tom Murphy with a better veteran catcher.

That sounds like a lot but it’s do-able in one offseason and would set them up for a real shot at the next 3-4 seasons.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GalacticAcid posted:

Dogshit season but amazing bookends - Hayes Opening Day homer, Cruz “Closing Day” homer. Hope springs eternal, they have to sign some pitchers

Yea the hitting is gonna be great, but Mitch Keller still sucks rear end and there is not much pitching help on the horizon.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Maybe this guy who managed the Padres to their last postseason appearance in like 1998 will take Jayce Tingler's job and keep them from collapsing next year*.

*God damnit I don't want a year of no baseball when I just started watching.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What are the odds we have a 2022 baseball season

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Three 100 win teams and four 100 loss team.

Probably not a good sign baseball is getting so stratified. Giants lost 98 games back in 2017 for the number 2 pick, now that record would've barely gotten us the fifth overall pick.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

camoseven posted:

Yea the hitting is gonna be great, but Mitch Keller still sucks rear end and there is not much pitching help on the horizon.

Idk about great, team was 29th in wRC+ this year and a lot of guys will return. But healthy Hayes (🤞) will help, and getting Newman out of the everyday lineup…they might be able to muster something close to a league average offense.

I’d love to see them add at least three actual starting pitchers and an outfield bat, current payroll commitments are inexcusable even by Nutting’s standards.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

your 2022 MVP?

you guessed it: frank schwindel

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

your 2022 MVP?

you guessed it: frank schwindel

It was pretty fun seeing the career replacement guys go out and mash.

Gerblederp
Dec 4, 2009

Really feels like there should still be baseball.

This sucks.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

quote:

FWIW I'm absolutely an advocate for drafting based on name, vs bullshit old-school crap like "tools".

Quoting from the previous thread, but Dick Lovelady is out for the 2022 season and somebody needs to step up.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/extrabaggs/status/1444768249879547907

It was actually the second-to-last pitcher AB of the regular season.

But yes, bring on the universal DH.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

In addition to setting the MLB record for number of players, Cubs hitters set a new MLB record for strikeouts in a season with 1,596.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

The Pussy Boss posted:

But yes, bring on the universal DH.

No, gently caress the DH and gently caress you!!!

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Chaosball bandwagoners checking the fine print after yesterday

'...taketh away'!? That can't be right.

Real talk though I'm extremely bummed about the AL wild card but if you can't sweep my garbage Anaheim Ohtanis when it really matters then are you good enough to be in the playoffs?

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Oct 4, 2021

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

post-1900 the 1909 boston doves (braves) were 65.5 games out

the 1899 spiders were 84 games out

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_worst_Major_League_Baseball_season_records

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

bees x1000 posted:

Chaosball bandwagoners checking the fine print after yesterday

'...taketh away'!? That can't be right.

Real talk though I'm extremely bummed about the AL wild card but if you can't sweep my garbage Anaheim Ohtanis when it really matters then are you good enough to be in the playoffs?
The last couple days of baseball was still a whole lot of fun to watch and I'm always cheering for the underdogs, I would have loved some real chaotic Wildcards make it through

Which is why the last couple seasons of Rays baseball has me feeling some kinda way. Through all of middle school and high school I was used to them being dead last but I still went to every game I could just because seeing them win that ONE game was so exciting. There was another 4 or five year streak after college they would be in the top two during the first-half of the season then sink to the bottom over and over, it was still fun.

Now you're telling me that the team that has been awful for as long as I've been in Florida are consistently one of the best teams? Blows my mind.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Bittersweet season for the Mariners but they’re in a really interesting spot. They’re a pretty far distance from legit competing for a division/playoff series, but it’s straightforward to getting to that point and Dipoto has cash and prospects available to trade.

I’d be ecstatic if they trade for a frontline starter, sign a strong corner OF bat, find a long term solution at either second or third, and replace Tom Murphy with a better veteran catcher.

That sounds like a lot but it’s do-able in one offseason and would set them up for a real shot at the next 3-4 seasons.

Remember that Paxton went down for the season on like day 3 and Kyle Lewis was out for most of the season too. With a healthy year from Kyle and the new and improved Haniger, we have CF and RF locked and then we have Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez for LF.

A full year of Paxton/Marco/Flexen/Gilbert is a pretty drat good rotation; I'm sure we can cobble together a fifth spot from Sheffield/Dunn/Anderson/someone.

2B and 3B are the big questions. Maybe Dipoto signs Semien, maybe we find out if Noelvi Marte can play 2B or 3B. Who else is on the free agent market?

Fake edit: I forgot about catcher. That's a legit problem, but maybe we just force Torrens to get better enough that we can stick him behind the plate so that DH can be whichever outfielder isn't starting on a given day.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
7th pick in the draft is pretty good for a team that was only tanking for half of the season. :toot:

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
No guarantee Paxton is back and I think Julio stays down a lot longer than most others do (late June/post ASB callup).

Marte is at least 2 years away and shouldn’t play into signings this year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

7th pick in the draft is pretty good for a team that was only tanking for half of the season. :toot:

Just think about how cool it would be if the Cubs drafted someone really good and we got to watch him for 3 to 4 seasons before selling him at the deadline because they refuse to pay him.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Bobby Witt Jr is probably the most exciting Royals prospect I've ever seen aside from possibly Bo Jackson.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Some Numbers posted:

Remember that Paxton went down for the season on like day 3 and Kyle Lewis was out for most of the season too. With a healthy year from Kyle and the new and improved Haniger, we have CF and RF locked and then we have Kelenic and Julio Rodriguez for LF.

A full year of Paxton/Marco/Flexen/Gilbert is a pretty drat good rotation; I'm sure we can cobble together a fifth spot from Sheffield/Dunn/Anderson/someone.

2B and 3B are the big questions. Maybe Dipoto signs Semien, maybe we find out if Noelvi Marte can play 2B or 3B. Who else is on the free agent market?

Fake edit: I forgot about catcher. That's a legit problem, but maybe we just force Torrens to get better enough that we can stick him behind the plate so that DH can be whichever outfielder isn't starting on a given day.

Counting on a full year of Paxton is a fools errand

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
Nats lose 97 and are somehow the fourth worst record.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

Just think about how cool it would be if the Cubs drafted someone really good and we got to watch him for 3 to 4 seasons before selling him at the deadline because they refuse to pay him.

Nah, Manfred is gonna get his way in the CBA and the Cubs will have control of him for 7 or 8 seasons.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

You've seen him in OOTP. You know.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
It's 2 PM PST how is Tingler still the Padres manager?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Fire whomever thought picking up Jake Arrieta was a good idea.

If I'm Tingler that's my rebuttle when they fire me.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Three 100 win teams and four 100 loss team.

Probably not a good sign baseball is getting so stratified. Giants lost 98 games back in 2017 for the number 2 pick, now that record would've barely gotten us the fifth overall pick.
I am not actually convinced this is bad for the sport overall. It may be bad if there is no turnover long-term among who those 100 win and 100 loss teams are, but superteams undeniably grab eyeballs. Everyone either wants to witness their greatness or their downfall.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's 2 PM PST how is Tingler still the Padres manager?

They aren't allowed to fire anyone unless the Swinging Friar is there and he doesn't have a cell phone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Padres use Facebook and Whatsapp for all internal communications so they are crippled today.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bawfuls posted:

The Padres use Facebook and Whatsapp for all internal communications so they are crippled today.

And nothing of value was lost!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Nodoze posted:

Counting on a full year of Paxton is a fools errand

I think we can at least expect more than 1.1 innings from him!

Anyway, my biggest issue with the Mariners is that I don't think shutdown bullpens carry over to the next season. I don't see Sewald, Steckenreider, et al. continue their dominance. They will have to get a better lineup. I see that happening - Kelenic is getting better and his September / October numbers were pretty encouraging! Julio is also on the way but I expect rookie struggles whenever he makes it to the bigs. Cal Raleigh looks pretty bad but is also still young and might just need a trip to AAA.

Still, not having to play Dylan Moore and Jake Bauers everyday will be a boon for that lineup. Snag a good infielder or two plus a big time starting pitcher and I'll start to have a little hope.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
I see Sewald sticking to his dominance but I wouldn’t bet on Sadler or Steckenrider. Sewald has a lot fewer innings than you think and works in a sort of orthogonal way than most relievers, it may take until the end of next season for people to catch up.

Steck’s contract in particular is a trade target either on its own or as a piece in a bigger deal. Especially with some of the rumor stuff going around regarding anti-vaxxers on the team.

A Sewald/Sadler/Giles/Munoz/Brash pen is a strong foundation, at any rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Rockies are extending Antonio Senzatela for 5 years, $50.5 million

https://twitter.com/mlbtraderumors/status/1445430520532377601?s=21