Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007
Ngl any player who accepts a nomination to a Bonds-less hall is less of a man in my eyes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

STAC Goat posted:

Oddly the guy I feel bad for is ARod. I never much liked the guy but unless I’m missing some story he doesn’t belong with those assholes.

He's pretty much the example of hall of fame voters not really getting better regarding their opinions of PED use over the years. I mean, every year we've seen people talk about how Bonds and Clemens get more support over the years due to people becoming more lenient/evolving in their opinions regarding PEDs, but then ARod is on this year's ballot and only got 34.3% of the vote. That's less than Bonds and Clemens both got on their first years on the ballot ~37% each.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
If this MLB season never happens don't forget it's not the only baseball in the world.

https://twitter.com/JCoskrey/status/1486226575687557120

Pretty sure this was a pin in The World Ends With You.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

Ngl any player who accepts a nomination to a Bonds-less hall is less of a man in my eyes

Publicly refusing for that reason would be so goddamn baller

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Publicly refusing for that reason would be so goddamn baller

Watching everybody on Twitter poo poo on the voting has been refreshing. I used to love baseball and watch every chance I could. Then Bonds stopped playing, and even to an idealistic kid, I could tell that I wouldn't see anything like him again.

Clemens doesn't have the childhood test of "changed how I watched the sport", but was still super good. If only they were memes then they could have been in the hall. Absolute clown poo poo

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Being nice to the media, aside from Dan Shaughnessy, over the years not only got him some PED forgiveness but everyone either bought or just let go his nonsense story of "mistaken identity" when he got shot

If that was A-rod we'd have long deep dives, investigative journalists digging through every piece of his trash for the last 20 years and multiple investigative documentaries about what really happened and why

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

Ammat The Ankh posted:

If this MLB season never happens don't forget it's not the only baseball in the world.

https://twitter.com/JCoskrey/status/1486226575687557120

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I appreciate Timby summarizing the Biogenesis scandal because I had forgotten how brazen MLB was in how they went about getting the A-Rod suspension. Michael Weiner dying from brain cancer certainly didn’t help but I can’t imagine that they would have made more of a forceful push to support himZ

I think A-Rod gets in eventually but certainly not until some of these older writers retire or perish

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Nodoze posted:

Being nice to the media, aside from Dan Shaughnessy, over the years not only got him some PED forgiveness but everyone either bought or just let go his nonsense story of "mistaken identity" when he got shot

If that was A-rod we'd have long deep dives, investigative journalists digging through every piece of his trash for the last 20 years and multiple investigative documentaries about what really happened and why

The ways Ortiz being almost murdered is relevant to the HOF discussion:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Dan Flashes should be in the Hall of Fame.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

NiceGuy posted:

I think that was his point.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

NiceGuy posted:

It was just an anecdote about the difference in the way the media handles players they like or not

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its part of this weird thing where Ortiz is at the center of all these double standard arguments but that doesn't actually mean he shouldn't be in the Hall or that its a bad thing he's a nice, affable guy. But everything still gets framed in a vaguely accusatory way. The answer to some people being treated unfairly isn't for everyone to be treated unfairly but equity often feels easier that way than the other.

Its still a weird thing to bring up though.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
That's the thing that really brings me down about HoF discourse.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I need you to know that I appreciated this

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah theres an exclusionary tinge to it instead of an inclusionary one. Instead of "X should be in because..." it often becomes "if Y is in then X should be too" and that's a hop, skip, and jump to "If X isn't in Y shouldn't be either."

Some of that is basic human nature and fandom. But certainly the HOF/writers essentially encourage it with this kind of voting.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

STAC Goat posted:

Its part of this weird thing where Ortiz is at the center of all these double standard arguments but that doesn't actually mean he shouldn't be in the Hall or that its a bad thing he's a nice, affable guy. But everything still gets framed in a vaguely accusatory way. The answer to some people being treated unfairly isn't for everyone to be treated unfairly but equity often feels easier that way than the other.

Its still a weird thing to bring up though.

Ortiz did cheat! I believe that he belongs in the hall but i'm also not going to feel too bad for him getting dragged for cheating.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

mcmagic posted:

Ortiz did cheat! I believe that he belongs in the hall but i'm also not going to feel too bad for him getting dragged for cheating.

But the only people dragging him for cheating are people arguing for other cheaters. And besides that being its own double standard it also becomes this backwards thing where its implied that his "preferred treatment" is some kind of red mark when its really just him being a nice guy.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
I'm not mad about Ortiz getting into the hall. I think he is a Hall of Famer. I'm mad about Ortiz getting in and not all the other players with the same stink of steroids who are much better players than Ortiz.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm not mad about Ortiz getting into the hall. I think he is a Hall of Famer. I'm mad about Ortiz getting in and not all the other players with the same stink of steroids who are much better players than Ortiz.
There are also players who are better and have no steroid connections who haven't gotten in or even any real consideration.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I gotta be honest, I thought Ortiz was already in the Hall the way he was being constantly fellated on every national broadcast all season long last year.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

That's the thing that really brings me down about HoF discourse.

Does it really matter at this point? The 'rules' for the Hall changed a while ago, and it feels like getting in means a whole lot less than it used to.

I think the best we can hope for at this point is good ballot discourse. I may be in the minority, but Bobby Abreu has a legitimate argument for candidacy, and I enjoy reading about it; he'll never enter, but it's fun to read, and he still gets due recognition for being a good player.

mcmagic posted:

He took an exploratory test that was supposed to be sealed, that (supposedly) came back positive; wasn't this during a time where PEDs weren't yet banned?

PED use during a time when they weren't officially banned resulted in an uneven playing field, which is ethically/morally wrong, but ...

I don't even know anymore.

Edit: MLB banned them in '91, but didn't test until '03 :psyduck:

Red fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 26, 2022

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

There are also players who are better and have no steroid connections who haven't gotten in or even any real consideration.

Kenny Lofton deserved better than a one and done

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
It starts and ends with those clowns didn't put in Lee Smith for me. Everything after that is just 'well of course they're loving up' because long track record. But they did vote in Goose Gossage, noted rear end in a top hat who can't stand the kids having fun.

DSzymborski
Jun 5, 2010

Red posted:

Edit: MLB banned them in '91, but didn't test until '03 :psyduck:

This is a bit of a misconception. Fay Vincent sent out a seven-page memo in 1991 banning steroids for players and personnel. However, it had already been ruled in the Howe arbitration hearings that drug rules could only be implemented with CBA approval, so he didn't *actually* ban steroids in 1991. At least, from players. The only parties he had authority to impose drug rules on were team personnel. So, if he wanted to drag down Pat Gillick or Davey Johnson to piss in a cup, he had the authority to do that. But not over Bonds or Clemens.

Vincent talked about this later on. Here's a segment from an interview with Bernie Miklasz.

pre:
During McGwire's career (1986 to 2001), Major League Baseball did not have a rule in place that prohibited the use of steroids. Fay Vincent, the commissioner at the time, issued a memo in the 
early 1990s banning the use of steroids. But as Vincent told me in an interview last week, his memo had no authority over players for the simple reason that, according to the labor agreement 
between owners and players, changes must be bargained.

"I sent it out because I believed it was important to take the position that steroids were dangerous, as were other illegal drugs," Vincent said. "As you know, the union would not bargain with us, 
would not discuss, would not agree to any form of a coherent drug plan. So my memo really applied to all the people who were not players."
There would have already been testing in place years before, but Bowie Kuhn screwed it up in the early 1980s. The MLB and the MLBPA had a one-year agreement setting drug rules, but then Kuhn basically said in the press conference announcing the deal that anything not specifically outlined was at his sole discretion. So the players had no interest in continuing the agreement and since the owners absolutely hated Kuhn by this point, they weren't interested either.

Dan

Red
Apr 15, 2003

maffew buildings posted:

It starts and ends with those clowns didn't put in Lee Smith for me. Everything after that is just 'well of course they're loving up' because long track record. But they did vote in Goose Gossage, noted rear end in a top hat who can't stand the kids having fun.

For me, it was partly Gossage, but also the entire thing with Jim Rice, where a very good player became the basis for a campaign that got him in. Gossage clearly was not elite, to me, but with Rice, it became clear that the Hall was more of a cause for a party. After Rice came Dawson, Morris, Baines, etc.

DSzymborski posted:

This is a bit of a misconception. Fay Vincent sent out a seven-page memo in 1991 banning steroids for players and personnel. However, it had already been ruled in the Howe arbitration hearings that drug rules could only be implemented with CBA approval, so he didn't *actually* ban steroids in 1991. At least, from players. The only parties he had authority to impose drug rules on were team personnel. So, if he wanted to drag down Pat Gillick or Davey Johnson to piss in a cup, he had the authority to do that. But not over Bonds or Clemens.

Vincent talked about this later on. Here's a segment from an interview with Bernie Miklasz.

pre:
During McGwire's career (1986 to 2001), Major League Baseball did not have a rule in place that prohibited the use of steroids. Fay Vincent, the commissioner at the time, issued a memo in the 
early 1990s banning the use of steroids. But as Vincent told me in an interview last week, his memo had no authority over players for the simple reason that, according to the labor agreement 
between owners and players, changes must be bargained.

"I sent it out because I believed it was important to take the position that steroids were dangerous, as were other illegal drugs," Vincent said. "As you know, the union would not bargain with us, 
would not discuss, would not agree to any form of a coherent drug plan. So my memo really applied to all the people who were not players."
There would have already been testing in place years before, but Bowie Kuhn screwed it up in the early 1980s. The MLB and the MLBPA had a one-year agreement setting drug rules, but then Kuhn basically said in the press conference announcing the deal that anything not specifically outlined was at his sole discretion. So the players had no interest in continuing the agreement and since the owners absolutely hated Kuhn by this point, they weren't interested either.

Dan

Ah, okay, that's why I felt confused; I was sure it was banned later than '91, so the Google result for that threw me.

Plus, I don't think they formally banned HGH until 2005.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
This off-season blows and my reward for weathering it will be watching Nutting & Cherington trot out another garbage lineup with a $40m payroll

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
IMO fixating on when they were officially banned is silly. That's a procedural thing in regard to whether or not a player can be suspended for it. It's not like the dudes taking them in '92 were doing it for different reasons than the dudes taking them now do. You just get into trouble for it now and are more likely to get caught doing it. It's a really cheeseball argument to say something is only morally objectionable because it's against the rules.

The whole "I'm voting against THIS guy because he got busted after Selig was tired of the PR hit" rhetoric reads of hair splitting to justify another unstated objective. It wasn't "cheating" before the ban, but the reason it's cheating now is because the league/union agreed that it was violating some aspect of a general fair play social contract. The rule exists to address previously-occurring "bad behavior"; it didn't just materialize because everyone said, "Hmm, there's this new drug that was literally just developed, better get ahead of that."

ninja edit: I don't give a poo poo about steroids

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'

GalacticAcid posted:

This off-season blows and my reward for weathering it will be watching Nutting & Cherington trot out another garbage lineup with a $40m payroll

At least tickets will still be cheap. I sat 6th row behind home plate (which includes free food and non-alcoholic drinks) for $180. Fuckin awesome, AND we beat the poo poo out of the Phillies.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t live in Pittsburgh anymore but yeah I’ll def be back to watch a few games assuming the lockout ends lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Red posted:

Does it really matter at this point? The 'rules' for the Hall changed a while ago, and it feels like getting in means a whole lot less than it used to.

I think the best we can hope for at this point is good ballot discourse. I may be in the minority, but Bobby Abreu has a legitimate argument for candidacy, and I enjoy reading about it; he'll never enter, but it's fun to read, and he still gets due recognition for being a good player.

It matters in that I am immersed enough in "the baseball world" that I get exposed to a ton of that discourse that brings me down, but I'm more in line with you on my approach to the hall at this point. There's a lot more enjoyment in being happy for somebody like Mussina or Raines getting recognized than there is in being mad about a clearly deserving player not getting in.

I guess it's all just a microcosm of the larger world at the end of the day.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Well Played Mauer posted:

IMO fixating on when they were officially banned is silly. That's a procedural thing in regard to whether or not a player can be suspended for it. It's not like the dudes taking them in '92 were doing it for different reasons than the dudes taking them now do. You just get into trouble for it now and are more likely to get caught doing it. It's a really cheeseball argument to say something is only morally objectionable because it's against the rules.

The whole "I'm voting against THIS guy because he got busted after Selig was tired of the PR hit" rhetoric reads of hair splitting to justify another unstated objective. It wasn't "cheating" before the ban, but the reason it's cheating now is because the league/union agreed that it was violating some aspect of a general fair play social contract. The rule exists to address previously-occurring "bad behavior"; it didn't just materialize because everyone said, "Hmm, there's this new drug that was literally just developed, better get ahead of that."

ninja edit: I don't give a poo poo about steroids

Agreed 100%; I'm not fixating on 'did he or didn't he' so much as this is the bed MLB made, and somehow their deserved blame for inaction got passed on to the players. They created the incentive to use PEDs, and did nothing to actually protect players from drug abuse (PED or coke/etc.), while having zero actual guidelines in place. I do wish Barry and other people would talk about what they did, because it might actually save someone's career (or life, if they're buying something unsafe), and would do more to level the playing field.

We'll never really fully know who was on what, and how many players; it almost seems like, in retrospect, you were a moron if you didn't juice if you knew everybody else did. Jason Giambi will never get a plaque, but he made almost $134 million over his career. I think he'll be okay.

Voting for the HoF at this point, if you're a writer, is basically an exercise in ethics, if you're choosing to share your reasoning.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
it's actually more difficult to get into the hall than ever, even not considering the generational issue of the PEDs. people only remember the best players from previous eras.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I get the Veteran's committee can do whatever they want but I still think it's dumb they put Jack Morris in. May as well put Jamie Moyer in while you're at it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

seiferguy posted:

I get the Veteran's committee can do whatever they want but I still think it's dumb they put Jack Morris in. May as well put Jamie Moyer in while you're at it.
Yeah that was one of the worst picks they had made in a long, long time

Meanwhile, Dick Allen still can’t get in

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

seiferguy posted:

They absolutely should.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
people talked about guys associated with one fanbase being at an advantage, but though Clemens has a case, i think the absolute king of the Hall of No Fans is Kevin Brown

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Feels Villeneuve posted:

people talked about guys associated with one fanbase being at an advantage, but though Clemens has a case, i think the absolute king of the Hall of No Fans is Kevin Brown

Bill James just wrote an article about this and found a significant effect: https://www.billjamesonline.com/vagabonds_and_homebodies/

But... he didn't account for era? And it's well known that your chances of being a HoFer are much higher if you played in earlier eras, so that seems like an obvious bias. They talked about this on Effectively Wild, apparently someone else accounted for era and a couple other things and found that there's definitely an advantage, just nowhere near what James found.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Nodoze posted:

And then Shaughnessy didn't even vote for him lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

Yes do this unironically

https://youtu.be/3aE5BvyqiAU