Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

seiferguy posted:

I get the Veteran's committee can do whatever they want but I still think it's dumb they put Jack Morris in. May as well put Jamie Moyer in while you're at it.

The page of Moneyball with Moyer yelling "Just tell me what you want and I’ll throw it.” belongs in the Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

The better "Jamie Moyer is old" commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fVdETLnA9E

He went on to pitch 8 more years after this!

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Sigh. M’s haven’t been to the playoffs since this 20 year old commercial aired.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

seiferguy posted:

The better "Jamie Moyer is old" commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fVdETLnA9E

He went on to pitch 8 more years after this!

Jamie Moyer is old fun facts:

- One of 29 players in history to play in 4 decades
- He's the oldest player in history to record a win (though it was against the Padres, so)
- He's pitched in 50 different ballparks
- He's given up the most dingers in history (522)
- When he retired, he had faced 8.9% of all hitters, ever
- Got his first win at 23, and his last win at 49
- He skipped school to attend the Phillies' WS victory parade

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Another Jamie Moyer fun fact or two:

He pitched while Pete Rose was still an active player
He won 235 games after turning thirty, but just 34 games while he was in his 20s

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
This is still the pinnacle of baseball player commercials imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxy58ybzQro

DSzymborski
Jun 5, 2010

seiferguy posted:

I get the Veteran's committee can do whatever they want but I still think it's dumb they put Jack Morris in. May as well put Jamie Moyer in while you're at it.

The closest I got into trouble with an editor on social media is when someone asked me in a chat why someone would vote for Jack Morris for the Hall and I answered cocaine. My editor saw it and was annoyed both that I implied we had other writers on cocaine and the fact that I was mock-replying about how cocaine use *is* very serious.

What was lucky for me was there was usually someone else making far more trouble than me at any given time. I was small potatoes. Like this one time, when the MLB e-in-c was replaced but she had no idea who I was or what I did, so I basically just sat around with nothing to do for a month until someone brought up the fact that I existed.

DSzymborski
Jun 5, 2010

Big Mean Jerk posted:

This is still the pinnacle of baseball player commercials imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxy58ybzQro

My favorite is Bret Saberhagen rapping about the new Ford Ranger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyVnOBdKw64

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

how quickly we forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I-2YW0IzUU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The best commercial is The El Duque

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9gGWqVoxvU

The best bad commercial is probably the Arroyo one. The poo poo, would you believe a double line is still used in tons of drops

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

mcmagic posted:

You're comparing this to spousal abuse or grooming a child?

What, uh, are you reading into asking if Ortiz was the guy who violently and disproportionately expressed his frustration and anger on an unrelated thing with a weapon on national television?

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

DSzymborski posted:

The closest I got into trouble with an editor on social media is when someone asked me in a chat why someone would vote for Jack Morris for the Hall and I answered cocaine. My editor saw it and was annoyed both that I implied we had other writers on cocaine and the fact that I was mock-replying about how cocaine use *is* very serious.

What was lucky for me was there was usually someone else making far more trouble than me at any given time. I was small potatoes. Like this one time, when the MLB e-in-c was replaced but she had no idea who I was or what I did, so I basically just sat around with nothing to do for a month until someone brought up the fact that I existed.

This is loving gold right here.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Casnorf posted:

What, uh, are you reading into asking if Ortiz was the guy who violently and disproportionately expressed his frustration and anger on an unrelated thing with a weapon on national television?

We get it, you don’t like Ortiz and you secretly hope he’s an abuser so you can justify your distaste in a way that’s comparable to bonds etc

It’s weird af but we get it

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'm on a meeting so I am assuming one of those youtube links that purports to be the best commercial is the one where Ken Griffy Jr fouls a ball into the dugout to prevent Sammy Sosa from stealing his Pepsi.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

NiceGuy posted:

We get it, you don’t like Ortiz and you secretly hope he’s an abuser so you can justify your distaste in a way that’s comparable to bonds etc

It’s weird af but we get it

Again, an odd read to the actual words of actual text there. Do we glorify violence unless? Do we consider only on-field activities? Is beating the poo poo out of anything that cannot defend itself ever acceptable behavior? I'm asking about the double-standard here -- not exclusionary but in whatever way you want the thing to go. The Hall itself showed its rear end long ago, but fans making clear there are acceptable levels of violence in any regard is giving you an opportunity to show yours.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Sorry but this is the best player commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE5TkHCtlYI

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

IcePhoenix posted:

Sorry but this is the best player commercial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE5TkHCtlYI

:wrong:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLECMCargd8

Red
Apr 15, 2003

There was an ESPN ad for 'The Rick', but it was just a recording of his voicemail.

Peter Gammons: "No, I will not ask Tony Gwynn if you can have his kidney stones."

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

:lol: if Monfort hosed owners cause he's too dumb to keep his mouth shut

https://twitter.com/EugeneFreedman/status/1486318701414690820

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Casnorf posted:

Again, an odd read to the actual words of actual text there. Do we glorify violence unless? Do we consider only on-field activities? Is beating the poo poo out of anything that cannot defend itself ever acceptable behavior? I'm asking about the double-standard here -- not exclusionary but in whatever way you want the thing to go. The Hall itself showed its rear end long ago, but fans making clear there are acceptable levels of violence in any regard is giving you an opportunity to show yours.

Super weird hill you’re choosing.

That’s like comparing a diddler to someone who hosed a pie.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
you all just sitting idly by while baseball players literally smash baseballs with baseball bats?

I bet you're okay with tackling in football too you monsters

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

RCarr posted:

Super weird hill you’re choosing.

That’s like comparing a diddler to someone who hosed a pie.

Are you good at patching drywall?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

More accurately, if it's unacceptable for a person to punch holes in drywall then why is it acceptable for a baseball player to do so? I'm comparing destroying a bullpen phone with a bat to a similar display of physical violence that I am quite certain most people can relate to. I don't know why anyone here is so quick to jump directly to comparing apples to nukes when there is a comparison to be drawn; just not that one.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

It’s a stupid thing to do, but no I wouldn’t say it’s absolutely unacceptable. I wouldn’t be friends or have any contact with a person who beats women, but if someone punched a hole in their wall or broke their phone because they were angry, I’d probably just laugh about it and tell them to go to therapy.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

I will cheerfully agree there. I have a little less tolerance for essentially pointless rage-outs; we're humans and they happen but when there's no ownership of your own actions, no idea that you have to take responsibility for having done a lovely thing no matter the degree to which it is bad, well... I'm just not as willing to give a free pass to a charming dude who otherwise doesn't seem to even acknowledge he did anything wrong.

Nothing happens or is judged in a vacuum, and my only point of contention now that we have established a question asked in earnest (because I honestly couldn't remember if that was him) was accurate is that aside from laughing about roid rage the whole incident is otherwise forgotten. What is the difference between that and implicit approval?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvaogIfz8mA

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It wasn't forgotten the Orioles literally made a joke about it when he had his ceremony there because that's what you do with something dumb like you laugh about it years later whereas you don't do that with victims of DV

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The lou pinella voice i'm a north side guy is an important part of chicago culture

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Breaking your own phone is something you have to deal with, but what if you break someone else's phone? Seriously I do not understand why the immediate leap to worst case reasoning here. Is it because it's much harder to hold someone to account when the action is something you can see yourself doing? It's much harder to see yourself physically abusing a partner or spouse, so separating yourself from the accountability is loving easy.

There's nothing hypocritical about this stance: I'm good at patching drywall, and I can be a real dick at times. I don't think it's acceptable or excusable when I have done that poo poo, so why should I just accept it when anyone else does? If I smashed a bullpen phone you'd throw me on an ignore list with little further consideration and I strongly suspect any mention of it would not be in the form of jokes or anything resembling comraderie.

This is how a PR campaign works.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
are people seriously pretending to care that a baseball player broke a bullpen phone

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

GalacticAcid posted:

are people seriously pretending to care that a baseball player broke a bullpen phone
Sir, I would like to bar all of the players from the Hall who attacked the Gatorade dispenser or broke a bat in the dugout as well

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
See, this is what happens when there’s a lockout and the stove is outside in the snow.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

FlamingLiberal posted:

Sir, I would like to bar all of the players from the Hall who attacked the Gatorade dispenser or broke a bat in the dugout as well

I will not stand for this. A Hall of Fame without Sean Rodriguez is a travesty.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hal mcrae is probably best known for loving up a phone, and i'd be fine with that as my legacy as i hope he is

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Casnorf posted:

Breaking your own phone is something you have to deal with, but what if you break someone else's phone? Seriously I do not understand why the immediate leap to worst case reasoning here. Is it because it's much harder to hold someone to account when the action is something you can see yourself doing? It's much harder to see yourself physically abusing a partner or spouse, so separating yourself from the accountability is loving easy.

There's nothing hypocritical about this stance: I'm good at patching drywall, and I can be a real dick at times. I don't think it's acceptable or excusable when I have done that poo poo, so why should I just accept it when anyone else does? If I smashed a bullpen phone you'd throw me on an ignore list with little further consideration and I strongly suspect any mention of it would not be in the form of jokes or anything resembling comraderie.

This is how a PR campaign works.

Who cares though? What could we possibly say a decade after someone broke a phone in frustration? What would appease you in this debate?

Like, yea he did a stupid thing, that he shouldn’t have. We all do on a regular basis. No one got hurt, no lasting damage was done, so who cares?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

GalacticAcid posted:

Just me, really, I think, because I've seen what kind of damage that can do to a person who is merely nearby. If you've never seen someone cower at the merest idea that the display could be turned toward them, even if it never has and never would...No one deserves to live in fear, and if you have to worry that an outburst like that can happen at all then, yeah, it's lovely loving behavior. You don't have to touch a person to affect them, and that has been a hard motherfucking lesson to learn. That this came out of just loving asking if that was the guy, loving christ.

quote:

no lasting damage was done,
No lasting damage was done to you. You have no idea what anyone else thought or felt in that moment or any other time. I can't speak for them but I can speak for me, and I can say that I wouldn't want that rear end in a top hat on my team no matter how well he hits baseballs, because I do not condone that kind of violence. How loving hard is that? You can, and you are more than welcome to make your own call on what level of violence is explicitly acceptable to you, each of you, but if sharing that I find it unacceptable is ...ah, gently caress. Just, loving gently caress.

...Asking "who cares?" is literally in the text you wrote dismissing that I care and whether that matters to you or not telling me my hard-fought experience in this realm is worthless is also kinda lovely. Being lovely to me, I can take it, but does that make it okay?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I totally get criticizing a dude for clubhouse anger toward inanimate objects to an extent, but equating it to actual domestic violence is absolutely bizarre and not at all equivalent.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

They should put Vince Coleman in the Hall for getting rolled up in the tarp machine

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Casnorf posted:

Just me, really, I think, because I've seen what kind of damage that can do to a person who is merely nearby. If you've never seen someone cower at the merest idea that the display could be turned toward them, even if it never has and never would...No one deserves to live in fear, and if you have to worry that an outburst like that can happen at all then, yeah, it's lovely loving behavior. You don't have to touch a person to affect them, and that has been a hard motherfucking lesson to learn. That this came out of just loving asking if that was the guy, loving christ.

No lasting damage was done to you. You have no idea what anyone else thought or felt in that moment or any other time. I can't speak for them but I can speak for me, and I can say that I wouldn't want that rear end in a top hat on my team no matter how well he hits baseballs, because I do not condone that kind of violence. How loving hard is that? You can, and you are more than welcome to make your own call on what level of violence is explicitly acceptable to you, each of you, but if sharing that I find it unacceptable is ...ah, gently caress. Just, loving gently caress.

...Asking "who cares?" is literally in the text you wrote dismissing that I care and whether that matters to you or not telling me my hard-fought experience in this realm is worthless is also kinda lovely. Being lovely to me, I can take it, but does that make it okay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

FlamingLiberal posted:

Breaking a bat over your own head? That's a paddlin'