Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Did we even bother with an offseason thread yet until we were actually in the offseason last year?

I'll do some effort in here after I finish waking up. Until then, here's the evergreen tweet

FINAL STANDINGS AND LEADERS

MLB PLAYOFF BRACKET

THE FULL SCHEDULE

https://i.imgur.com/68CI9f6.mp4

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Go White Sox

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

IcePhoenix posted:

Did we even bother with an offseason thread yet until we were actually in the offseason last year?
For some people, it is. :twisted:

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Hello, fellow fans of playoff teams. Go Giants.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ok it's fixed but I don't feel like unlocking the thread right now to get all the other stuff from my old OP back so if you liked it thank hand knit and if you didn't then uh I guess also thank hand knit

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

https://twitter.com/GrantBrisbee/status/1444793782340259840

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

when the catcher when you see is coming out and the catcher is you want to shake Buster Posey his hand

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
Everyone is rooting for America's sweethearts, the Houston Astros. Right?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Sab0921 posted:

Everyone is rooting for America's sweethearts, the Houston Astros. Right?

They've dealt with so much adversity.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Here is my official Take on the Dodgers situation and the postseason format.

As I’ve said all summer the format is almost perfect they should just seed teams by record so the worst two postseason records are in the WCG and the best two can face off in the LCS. Of course that’s not what we’ve got.

I realize the WCG will be absolutely TREMENDOUS content for all non-Dodgers fans and many lmaos will be had should they fall in that game.

However, the Dodgers clearly have the roughest road to glory this October. A repeat will require surviving sudden death vs Cards Devil Magic, then a 5-game handicapped series vs whatever dark powers the Giants have summoned this year, then probably Milwaukee a low-key very dangerous team, before facing whoever emerges hot from the AL.

So the risk is great, but the upside if they somehow pull it off would be undeniably impressive. And they’ll have to do it all without Kershaw.

Also I somehow decided to get married next week during the middle of all this chaos. Hopefully we all survive this month with somewhat functional livers. Good luck SAS I hope all your teams lose to the Defending World Series Champion Los Angeles Dodgers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Usually people wait until the games are played before justifying why they lost.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Yankees/Red Sox wildcard game is aesthetically disgusting.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Usually people wait until the games are played before justifying why they lost.
First time in the postseason thread?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yankees/Red Sox wildcard game is aesthetically disgusting.
Idk on the other hand there is something fun about making those two fight a cage match for our enjoyment

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

The Dodgers will beat the Cards like 13-2, then the Giants win Game 1, but the Dodgers just keep on relentlessly chasing us down, until we're beating you guys in Game 5 in the top of the 9th but you get the tying run on 3rd with two outs.

I dunno what happens next though.

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021
Hello. Been lurking here since the 2017 postseason. And generally aware of SA since 2002-2003ish but always from afar till 2017. Astros fan since the early 1980s checking in.

Anyway, as much as I'm happy about the Astros making it to the postseason for a 5th straight year, I was rooting hard for the Seattle Mariners and/or the Toronto Blue Jays to make the wild card game and am pretty sad it's ye olde BOS/NYY, but... hey, at least ESPN and the rest of the national sports press/channels will be happy about that.

Oh, and I only finally registered on SA because the forums did that occasional thing where they stopped being readable without the user being logged in a week ago. I normally just say "okay" and wait a few months and come back, but lately I've been following 3 threads pretty daily on my phone (the MLB gamethread, the MLB N/V thread, and US News on D&D), so... yeah, you guys have me well and truly hooked now.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I have two solutions to your problem.

1. Just make the WC a 3 game series
B. What if we just like got rid of the Cardinals? Like report them to the Vatican and let the Jesus police take them. Dodgers win automatically, next year we can get the Expos back in their place.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

blossommirage posted:

I have two solutions to your problem.

1. Just make the WC a 3 game series
No the WCG is good, excellent really, and should remain. It simply should always be contested between the worst two postseason teams in a given league. It’s SHOULD be an unfair chaos game for our amusement, fought between two teams that borderline don’t deserve a postseason slot.

I’ve banged that drum enough already this year tho. Time to ride or die with Scherzer.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

LongTimeFirstTime posted:

Hello. Been lurking here since the 2017 postseason. And generally aware of SA since 2002-2003ish but always from afar till 2017. Astros fan since the early 1980s checking in.

Anyway, as much as I'm happy about the Astros making it to the postseason for a 5th straight year, I was rooting hard for the Seattle Mariners and/or the Toronto Blue Jays to make the wild card game and am pretty sad it's ye olde BOS/NYY, but... hey, at least ESPN and the rest of the national sports press/channels will be happy about that.

Oh, and I only finally registered on SA because the forums did that occasional thing where they stopped being readable without the user being logged in a week ago. I normally just say "okay" and wait a few months and come back, but lately I've been following 3 threads pretty daily on my phone (the MLB gamethread, the MLB N/V thread, and US News on D&D), so... yeah, you guys have me well and truly hooked now.

Welcome and condolences for your new SA posting career

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Is Albert starting Wednesday?

LongTimeFirstTime
Sep 29, 2021

ThePeavstenator posted:

Welcome and condolences for your new SA posting career

Thank you and yes... well, I'll probably mostly still lurk. Especially in US News.

I, goon. Better (worse?) late than never.

If only there were some game 163s today, eh?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Is Albert starting Wednesday?
Wainwright is right handed so probably not. More likely Matt Beaty.

The Pussy Boss posted:

The Dodgers will beat the Cards like 13-2, then the Giants win Game 1, but the Dodgers just keep on relentlessly chasing us down, until we're beating you guys in Game 5 in the top of the 9th but you get the tying run on 3rd with two outs.

I dunno what happens next though.
Idk how you and all Giants fans aren't just brimming with pristine optimism, vibing on a whole other level this year. That team is touched by god or the devil or something. They just set a franchise wins record in a year where their 95th percentile expectation was probably 15 fewer wins that this.

Are all your wires crossed because they won titles with mediocre teams and now that they look like a juggernaut it makes you instinctively expect an October loss?

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Oct 4, 2021

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
The Mariners won 90 games with a -50 run differential. That's a completely acceptable season, considering they lost one of their pitchers after one inning in April and lost last year's ROTY for most of the season.

It's fine. I'm fine. Everything's fine. How are you?

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

bawfuls posted:

No the WCG is good, excellent really, and should remain. It simply should always be contested between the worst two postseason teams in a given league. It’s SHOULD be an unfair chaos game for our amusement, fought between two teams that borderline don’t deserve a postseason slot.

I’ve banged that drum enough already this year tho. Time to ride or die with Scherzer.

So to make sure I understand, the WCG is good because it's chaosball, but now that it negatively affects the Dodgers chances at a consecutive World Series, we need to restructure the entire playoff format?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
As much as I would like to see the Giants win another World Series, I'm totally satisfied at this point. I've seen them win 3 times in the not too distant past. And they won 30 more games than expected.

However, if the Dodgers were to get one and doned after a 106 win season...it doesn't really get much better than that. Also, as a bonus, it would force MLBs hand to at least make the wild card a 3 game series. Or add more teams to the postseason. Or something better than this stupid one gamer.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
MLB needs to go back to the same division teams not playing each other until the LCS

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

blossommirage posted:

So to make sure I understand, the WCG is good because it's chaosball, but now that it negatively affects the Dodgers chances at a consecutive World Series, we need to restructure the entire playoff format?
I explained it explicitly in the post you quoted and many times over the last six months. Try reading it again.

Waltzing Along posted:

Also, as a bonus, it would force MLBs hand to at least make the wild card a 3 game series. Or add more teams to the postseason. Or something better than this stupid one gamer.
Rest assured it will prompt MLB to chose the dumbest possible alternative.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

blossommirage posted:

As I understand it, he's completely fine with the way the WCG currently works, but if a division winner wins fewer games than a WC team, he wants that division winner to swap places with the WC team.

Which of course completely defeats the purpose of winning the division vs getting a WC spot. It's not the Braves' fault the Giants kept winning games.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

blossommirage posted:

The team I root for benefited from this greatly this year and I still agree with bawfuls and a lot of people that NL/AL standings should just be top to bottom record. You can still have divisions for purpose of rivalries and stuff but just make it 12-15 times a year not 19. Balance it out with more NL games against the other divisions.

The Giants/Dodgers shouldn't be playing a one game play in and they should only be meeting in a 7-game NLCS if they both make it there imo.

(Essentially, do standings like the NBA. They still have divisions for scheduling purposes but the overall Eastern/Western conference records are what matter)

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I'm ok with the current seeding because winning your division has historically been super important and I think that should continue to matter and i also don't care how many games a team won unless the schedules become balanced.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Go Brewers, I won’t be able to see any playoff games in person since my dreams of a Mariners/Brewers WS this year are finished. I know we basically just tanked the last 2 weeks of September to rest starters since the division and seeding were locked up, but taking the foot of the gas still makes me nervous that it won’t be easy to put the pedal right back to the floor.

Also for any future playoff celebrations please serve all liquor to the pitching staff in those hulk hands with the cupholder in them in case they drunkenly decide to punch walls. It’s going to suck rear end not having Devin Williams available, hopefully Boxberger, Suter, and Cousins can pick up the slack (or the offense just does so well that we don’t miss having a top-tier setup man for the 8th). Ashby looks legit if somewhat raw, hopefully he can rise to the occasion when called on.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

As I understand it, he's completely fine with the way the WCG currently works, but if a division winner wins fewer games than a WC team, he wants that division winner to swap places with the WC team.

Which of course completely defeats the purpose of winning the division vs getting a WC spot. It's not the Braves' fault the Giants kept winning games.
Winning the division would still matter because the winner would get the softer 1st round opponent. In the seeding scenario the Dodgers and Giants would have been fighting for the right to play survivor of Braves/Cardinals in the DS instead of a well-rested Milwaukee.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I'm ok with the current seeding because winning your division has historically been super important and I think that should continue to matter and i also don't care how many games a team won unless the schedules become balanced.
Another way to look at it would be winning your League becomes important, which was historically the important thing.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 4, 2021

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

ThePeavstenator posted:

Also for any future playoff celebrations please serve all liquor to the pitching staff in those hulk hands with the cupholder in them in case they drunkenly decide to punch walls. It’s going to suck rear end not having Devin Williams available, hopefully Boxberger, Suter, and Cousins can pick up the slack (or the offense just does so well that we don’t miss having a top-tier setup man for the 8th). Ashby looks legit if somewhat raw, hopefully he can rise to the occasion when called on.

It really can't be overstated how loving dumb that was

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

ThePeavstenator posted:

I know we basically just tanked the last 2 weeks of September to rest starters since the division and seeding were locked up

The Brewers were not tanking when the Cardinals came in to Milwaukee and took four straight from them. And if they would have lost 2/3 to the lovely Mets the division would have been entirely up for grabs and quite possibly went the other way. The division wasn't locked until September 26th. That's one week of "tanking"

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Teams going on cruise control for months at a time is a myth. The White Sox didn't just stop trying because the AL Central sucks

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Okay, this makes more sense. Having a 100+ win team play a one game playoff seems like maximum chaosball, that's where my confusion was.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

bawfuls posted:

As I’ve said all summer the format is almost perfect they should just seed teams by record so the worst two postseason records are in the WCG and the best two can face off in the LCS. Of course that’s not what we’ve got.

I realize the WCG will be absolutely TREMENDOUS content for all non-Dodgers fans and many lmaos will be had should they fall in that game.

However, the Dodgers clearly have the roughest road to glory this October. A repeat will require surviving sudden death vs Cards Devil Magic, then a 5-game handicapped series vs whatever dark powers the Giants have summoned this year, then probably Milwaukee a low-key very dangerous team, before facing whoever emerges hot from the AL.

So the risk is great, but the upside if they somehow pull it off would be undeniably impressive. And they’ll have to do it all without Kershaw.

Also I somehow decided to get married next week during the middle of all this chaos. Hopefully we all survive this month with somewhat functional livers. Good luck SAS I hope all your teams lose to the Defending World Series Champion Los Angeles Dodgers.

Congratulations on getting married bawfuls I hope everything is wonderful :)

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Not the Giants fault that the Braves division sucks rear end either. Giants kept winning cause they had to, the Dodgers were right behind them

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

bawfuls posted:

Congratulations on your nuptials and understand it's the only ring you're getting this fall.

Also an incredible number of excuses there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Nodoze posted:

Teams going on cruise control for months at a time is a myth. The White Sox didn't just stop trying because the AL Central sucks

That's true, but if you can only be one game better than the two WC teams when your division has four teams under .500, it's not exactly a triumph. In the AL this year, it doesn't really make a difference, but it's bullshit that the Dodgers have to play in when the Braves don't.