Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
It’s a real shame the Braves have the whole racism thing, otherwise I feel like they could be a favorite for the neutrals.

Doesn’t really matter though, they’re losing to the Brewers in 4 max.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Popete posted:

The exploitative Albies contract really sucks. Braves have some fun players but with Acuna out as well it's hard to find a reason to cheer for them as a neutral.

yeah I wish Albies had held out for more but I also understand taking the guaranteed payday that will take care of your family for life. Really just taking advantage of people whose countries our own has dedicated itself to destroying.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

camoseven posted:

America sucks but I'm not aware of any specifically anti-Curaçaoan policies

I was imprecise there, true: with Curaçao it’s more indirect but the tighter sanctions get against Venezuela the more it fucks with Curaçao, especially cutting deep into trade and causing spikes in unemployment in addition to just the uncertainty over whether the US will use their island to launch attacks in the mainland.

Anyways, hurray baseball.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

rickiep00h posted:

A land of contrasts.

That loving Matzek pitch though

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

it's always kinda nice when there aren't any DS sweeps and you get at least that one more day with a round-the-clock slate of games

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Yeah idk what the odds would be going with a bullpen game, it's baseball so just a floor of like 40% anyway, but I am really curious how much that number moves pushing a rickety old guy you absolutely need going forward anyway harder than he has gone in a long time.

Especially for a division series!

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Looking forward to an epic 20+ inning Giants-Dodgers Game 5 that leaves the victor too physically and emotionally exhausted to put up much of a fight in the NLCS

(Braves are doomed no matter what but anything to level the field a bit)

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Braves are screwed, they are substantially worse than last year plus now the Dodgers have Trea Turner who is a one-man Atlanta wrecking crew. This series feels like approaching a tank year except for the postseason.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Eh its fine, no Acuña, etc. They did a stellar job just getting this far. Resign Freddie and the window is still wide open.

Exactly, they got another division title and NLCS appearance on the cheap so now it’s basically just go out, try not to embarrass yourselves too badly, look to next year.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Probably they should’ve just not moved out of Brooklyn to start with.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Intruder posted:

on the other hand we have successfully gotten through another season without a yankees championship

and successfully stopped St. Louis devil magic

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dodgers are starting Knebel against Fried so the Braves basically have to win this one to stand any chance. Morton's not going till game 3 to give him a little extra rest, if this one is 2-0 Dodgers or maybe even 1-1 going back to LA it's not coming back to Atlanta afterwards.

Popete posted:

Anytime I watch a Braves home game and the chop starts it's just so embarrassing to see a stadium full of mostly white people having zero self awareness or just not caring.

i mean that's just white people generally, just a particularly persistent and galling example

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

well poo poo

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

welp

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

wrong thread, obviously

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

winning it in 6 and thus keeping Morton for game 1 is probably the thing that'll give the Braves a fighting chance, they should be able to go Morton-Fried-Anderson-bullpen and repeat

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

blossommirage posted:

It's kinda ingrained in you as a Braves fan, just like most racist things. I definitely had the urge to post "CHOP" as well, it's like a weird instinct triggered by the time distorting effect of the Braves being good again.

gently caress the chop, ignore the chopper(s), all y'all could really stop falling for one of the most naked trolling operations still left on these forums

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Already seeing dumb conspiracy theories online that MLB is desperate for the Braves not to win after the All-Star Game got pulled this year, so look forward to that blowing up if the Astros do what they should in this series. Or really if anything happens, it's not going to stop stupid people

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I know bullpen guys have weird careers but I still can't get past Tyler Matzek being two years removed from his second stint with the Texas AirHogs after getting ditched by the Rockies and failing to catch on with the White Sox, the Mariners, and the Diamondbacks.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1453032472606871554?s=20

glad Camargo isn't on there since he's complete toast and Snit seems compelled to use him whenever he's on the roster.

i get Gore as a pinch runner but wondering why not Pache who is nearly as fast and an elite defender. really though the bench doesn't matter for the games in Houston, barring injury the Braves' starting nine is in there to stay.

Wright is an interesting call but I'm pretty sure he's there to soak up punishment in a blowout, other than the three starters no one else on the roster but Smyly can go more than 2 innings, and they'll need Drew's innings in the bullpen game. more upside than Jacob Webb for sure.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

gonna time myself out so i don't keep doing this

elentar fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 27, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

goddammit wrong thread

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Tucker definitely becomes the new guy to soak up punishment or to offer up in game 5, where he’ll mop up whatever of Kyle Wright is left behind.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

I feel like it wasn’t all that long ago that teams in these series had a defined fourth starter even if they sucked and that person would get the start. Is that wrong?

I guess what I’m asking is when did bullpen games get this comprehensively normalized?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Pulling Anderson was a gutsy move but also a huge credit to the way the bullpen has come together. Braves probably had to have this one and they played it basically like an elimination game.

Also Travis d’Arnaud, where has this been?

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Honestly this Trump thing is the first time I’ve actually believed the Braves could do this because it is extremely sports for my team to succeed only under conditions that make it morally repugnant for them to do so, tainting the memory of it forever.

See also Premier League/UEFA football and literally every single thing relating to college athletics.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Dylan Lee will get the start tonight as opener for the Braves in the World Series, which has to be one of the more improbable events in the game’s history

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Are we lucky enough to have the Braves fans boo Trump like in 2019, or are we going to get an extremely cursed Let’s Go Brandon chant while they also do the chop?

you already know the answer to this

elentar fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Oct 30, 2021

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

wrong thread as per usual

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Sounds like the Braves will start Minter as the opener unless they run Chavez out there for an inning first. If things go bad at all then Davidson will soak up the punishment.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

bawfuls posted:

This has been a very surreal postseason, which is saying something coming off the covid season.

I spent game 6 of the NLCS at a Phish show tripping on acid with my wife and some friends, including the biggest Atlanta fan I know. He also bet heavily on the game so he was riding pretty high. He's now in Vegas on what I gather is several weeks deep into a sports betting streak fueled heavily by his own team. And for some reason he's staying in Vegas to see Phish tonight, drop big money on bottle service at clubs, and NOT fly to Atlanta to catch game 5 in person.

Baseball is a land of contrasts.

I mean generally if you can go to a Phish show on Halloween that’s definitely the one to hit

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Apparently they’re going with Davidson after all https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1454898223424868355?s=21

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Soroka’s head is so tiny somehow it is very diverting https://www.mlb.com/video/soroka-on-world-series-rehab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

can you just imagine being the kid whose dad left the World Series to be with

obviously it’s the right call and congrats to him but kid you are never hearing the end of that