Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Popete posted:

Why didn'the just walk down the stairs instead of doing that weird snake slither down the handrail?

Angel Hernandez is not very smart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MrMojok posted:

I know grifters gonna grift, but the one that keeps amazing me is Madison Cawthorne.

This wheelchair-bound idiot thinks he’s going to be something, in the future that MAGA envisions.

LMAO

I don't disagree but did he do something MLB-related?

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

My rooting order would be:
  • 1. White Sox
  • 2. Giants
  • 3. Rays
  • 4. Dodgers
  • 5. Red Sox
  • 6. Braves
  • 7. Astros
  • 8. Brewers
  • 9. Cardinals

Man, how can you put the Brewers below the Astros? We were your division mates once too (and a more relevant one for almost their entire time in the NL Central) and actually have a ring already and cheated.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Do they not do the automatic runner on 2nd in extras in the playoffs?

Nope

(thank goodness)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/UmpScorecards/status/1447570366377828356

just lol

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Imagine not having a retractable roof :smuggo:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

MrMojok posted:

Most of the people in this thread are pretty chill, Astros fans included, but I personally will never forget that Astros Nation on twitter/Facebook/etc were horrible people who used the Trumpian strategy of:

1) we didn’t do it

2) okay, we might have done it, but so did everyone else

3) okay we did do it more than anyone else, too bad, still got that ring, losers

to be fair I'm still pretty much this:

quote:

3) okay we did do it more than anyone else, too bad, still got that ring, losers

so ... basically all of #3 but without the smug dickishness (or at least I try to be without it)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

As long as any player from the 2017 roster, none of who received any sort of punishment for what they did, remains on the team, Astros fans should expect nothing but loathing from any other baseball fan. No one is going to just forget about it because it was four years ago. Players who were actively involved in the scandal are still playing for the same team and the only downside for them has been they get booed more at away games.

Yeah it's not only "some are still on the team" it's ..... most of the core guys. We even brought back Marwin :haw:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Anyway, as far as the umpire grades go, do they dig into rating close calls at all? Cause those 90+% accuracy ratings seem a bit misleading since the majority of calls are pretty clear cut
Just for fun I manually checked Tom Hallion using Baseball Savant's 3D pitch thing. By my count he missed somewhere between 12 and 14 calls (two ball calls for Cease were right on the edge). Now, there were 354 pitches in that game, so if you go by that you get between 96.6% and 96% accuracy. But if you only count the called balls and called strikes, there's only 169 calls to be made. That puts his accuracy between 92.9% (what the ump scorecard has) and 91.7%.

Sounds relatively reasonable, but like you said there are some super clear-cut calls in there so I checked all the called balls and anything that was in the dirt or well above or basically a brush-back or even Vlad Sr. couldn't hit it. There were about 30 of those. Same I checked the gimme strikes. I got 17 of those. So 47 of the 169 calls were one that anyone who understood baseball would get right.

Thus, Hallion really missed 12-14 of 122 calls, for a percentage between: 88.5 and 90.1%

Higher than I would have guessed, but a lot of what I did is still relatively generous to them, and missing 10% of the calls is still really bad.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

rjmccall posted:

On the flip side, how bad were his misses? Like, IIRC in the top of the 9th he called a high inside strike a ball, and then he did the reverse in the bottom of the 9th, but they were both incredibly close, maybe half an inch from going the other way. They’re not all Joe West calling strikes six inches outside.

Yeah unfortunately all I really did was qualitative analysis, but there were several that were quite bad. And some also largely didn't matter from a leverage perspective either, like Hendriks' only called strike was terrible but kinda didn't matter.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

pigz posted:

I've hated the astros since the killer Bs, Clemens, and them knocking the braves out in consecutive years in the nlds.

Them turning out to be an evil baseball org was no surprise to me since no one can beat my rooting intrest fair and square. I will forever enjoy mcanns homer off a roided clemens.

Chris Burke's 18th inning walkoff home run against the Braves is my favorite in-person baseball memory. And hey he is/was a vile person as it turned out so maybe you're onto something. But the only killer B that was bad that I know of is Berkman and that's just because he turned out to be pretty chuddy. Not to mention McCann literally being on that 2017 team of course.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

kaworu posted:

edit: Oh Berkman's chuddy? That sucks, guess I'll have to ding him some points for that. Oswalt always struck me as a barely-literate country bumpkin for the most part, but in a charming way.

ohhhhhhhh yeah

Now, as best I can tell he hasn't really been outspoken like that in the past few years so maybe he's made a turn but...... nah probably not

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

oh my god this is from pages back but yes yes yes

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Get hosed you old bitch, why don't you drunk drive off a cliff

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

It hasn't, but they don't have a racist caricature as a logo and they live in a place with a lot more people who are willing to defend it.

They don't have a racist caricature as a logo anymore

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ben how you gonna bet against your brother's teammates?

Bros before hose.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Intruder posted:

Well Justin is apparently persona non grata among the Astros players so

yes but then I can't make the pun about the Sox

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

https://twitter.com/astros/status/1449039864914141186

yeah no LMJ confirmed :smith:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Look, I’m not going to get behind the Dodgers getting World Series rings over any other team on any year, save for 2017 in hindsight.

But especially gently caress any scenario wherein Trevor Bauer is potentially getting one. It’s kind of wild that the hate for Boston and Houston is so strong that LA can sign such an exceptionally lovely person and still have a good number of neutral viewers still see them as the postseason hero team.

If I wasn't an Astros fan I would hate every team left, probably the Red Sox least of all but then I would still think Betts making GBS threads on the Red Sox in the WS would be fun. But Bauer getting a ring would be the absolute worst outcome, so even though as an Astros fan that hated the Braves for just demolishing the team's best years (at the time) by bouncing us from the playoffs in 3 years out of a 5 year span ... I would still root for them over LA. Plus the current Braves are pretty okay, so I guess go Braves but change your goddamn name already and Braves fans stop doing the chop you weirdos.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

I would have rather seen Sale in game 1 because we've historically crushed Sale in the postseason :smugdog:

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sydin posted:

I mean it came out that basically everybody in the clubhouse loving hated Bauer even before the sexual assault poo poo dropped, and nobody in the org either on the roster or in management has so much as lifted a finger to defend him publicly, so I could absolutely see the Dodgers deciding to just dodge the PR scandel and quietly refuse to give Bauer a ring. He'd still get the little gold ring next to his 2021 stats on Bref though, and isn't that what really counts?
Surely Bauer wouldn't leverage this for an opportunity to make headlines again wherein he would have an actual semi-legitimate grievance. He seems like the quiet type.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Sydin posted:

I mean the options are "give Bauer a ring and deal with the PR fallout of pissing a ton of fans off" and "don't give Bauer a ring and deal with the PR fallout of him and his stans crying about it." Neither option is good: the best option was to not sign Trevor Bauer, but imo option two minimizes the damage as best as possible.

The best options is GO BARVES

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kirios posted:

Huh, I assumed it was Houston based upon recent success. How close are they?

Finishing below .500 last year certainly didn't help. But even if we won the same number of games as LA that year we'd be two behind.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Poque posted:

Dusty Baker is my only pro to Houston winning

what about uncle Mike

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

:bravo:

a true masterpiece (and remember, this is kind of artificially high because like 30-50% of calls are obvious)

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

howe_sam posted:

The Arizona Fall League is also experimenting with an automatic strike zone and according to Keith Law in a piece he put up today at the Athletic it's also not going well.

I might throw more walks too if I couldn't have my fielders positioned well behind me to make plays where the ball is going to be hit. gently caress banning the shift.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I actually disagree with this. If they win this one it's going to redeem them and the media will fully buy into it. It's super annoying that they've played poor us victims we get booed everywhere, have had ZERO consequences, and could possibly win a legit title this year. It sucks actually.

Nah it owns

But also I disagree that subbing this year will "redeem" the Astros. To some, maybe, but I think we're just The Villains for a while until some better option arises.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

For actual baseball talk, I don't know who is going to start game 6. Luis Garcia would be the normal rotation but he left "injured" from Game 2 with "knee discomfort". The only other real option would be Odorizzi who proceeded to take his one inherited runner (from Luis) add two more and then allow Grand Slam #2 in the second inning of Game 2. But otherwise was kinda okay I guess?

Hopefully Luis really was having a knee issue and has it sorted out because otherwise I guess the other option is Urquidy on short rest and then I guess Framber on short rest if we go to Game 7.

I sure do miss LMJ

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

At the time (and even in the GDT thread I posted) I thought Dusty and Garcia were very much exaggerating some routine discomfort to pull him when he just seemed to have no good stuff. I still think that's sorta the case, but I don't think they were trying to "get to Eovaldi" by cooling him off or anything when Odorizzi took forever warming up. I also don't think you should get 40 minutes to get the next pitcher in. If you have to use a guy for an inning and then go to a long reliever (aka, your next game starter), then that's what you have to do. I felt kinda bad for Odorizzi because he was just warming up the way he would if he were starting and having to sit and listen to murmurs of 42,000 people while doing so. And then he gave up a granny to boot.

But yeah I hope Garcia has some sort of answer for whatever leg issue he was having because hoo boy having a first-half-of-the-season looking Luis Garcia for like 5 or 6 innings would be very sweet.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Edward Mass posted:

You didn't have a kid in 2005, so this means nothing.

His swimmers are DHs, they weren't roster-able back in 2005.

e: also as brought up in the GDT hey Dodgers thanks for Yordan Alvarez

No Safe Word fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Oct 23, 2021

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Johnny Bravo posted:

Well if Trump is rooting for the braves I'm gonna root for the astros. I sure hope Ted Cruz isn't a Houston fan or else I'll really be in a pickle

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1453586346602287106

Sab0921 posted:

Ted Cruz is a pandering fan of whatever Texas team is playing.

But also he's from Houston so of course.

e: lmao I just saw the lets go brandon hashtag what a fuckbag
e2: oh and the actual sign says it too, thankfully the thumbnail doesn't show that part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

The main travesty about Atlanta's stadium move is that now 755 Hank Aaron Way is not their stadium's address anymore and that is inexcusable.