Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I think it kinda depends on what you believe baseball is supposed to be. Is it something where you’re looking for players to be the best at certain baseball-centred skills, so you want the umps to basically keep the game reasonably centred on those skills? Or is the goal to maximally succeed within the rules of baseball, in which case calling the rule book precisely and exactly is of the utmost importance?

I feel like robot umps leans way too hard to the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

The Astros winning definitely seems to be the funniest option, and I don't see any other team really separating themselves in terms of distinctness.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

this entire topic sucks rear end

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

from here on everyone who posts about fake world series or stripping titles or anything else about this incredibly trash topic is getting a day at least

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

pigz posted:

Honestly I'm waiting for this to become an issue for the networks which seem to have no problem broadcasting 50 thousand people doing a racist chant and hand motion. I don't know what the broadcast people can do about it, but it's going to continue to be a problem nationally no mater what people in GA think.

An interesting aside: in 92, when Toronto were playing Atlanta in the Series, a fan wrote the Jays radio guy Jerry Howarth and just said "hey, this name is kind of racist." And... he just stopped calling Atlanta the 'Braves', and stopped calling Cleveland the 'Indians'. It was so seemless that nobody even noticed until he was asked about it 24 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

It would be nice is the dumbest and worst politics didn’t show its head in sports, but I think there’s only so much you can do to keep culture war away from the thing where everyone irrationally cheers on their arbitrarily-determined side to pulverize the other arbitrarily-determined side. The best we can do is appreciate the magisterial absurdity of the bloated idiot ex-President leading the racist chant, and continue to try to be excellent to each other.