Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
Observer, please. May switch in if things get calmer game-wise, but I'd like to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Promote me to player god drat USSR has been moving fast.

Soviet efficiency at its finest.

Alright, I will regret this, but put me in too. Worst case scenario, I talk a little less this game, but I am sure the other players will agree it'd be a neat improvement.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Happy to see Circlr and Deadmeat playing, some quality newer players. How many spots left?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

We've been getting a lot of fun new peeps this year, yourself included!

Someone get Poopacy in here

Hahahaha, thanks, appreciate that! We are going to break the meta from inside! (until we become the meta instead)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

One more to go! Come on people!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

Me, can I say the same for you?

You haven't had the best track record lately. I did trust you twice, and I got SKed both times!

Also, turn off that drat alarm, people over here trying to sleep!

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

Every game is a new beginning :sun:

You can't lump me in with those foul SKs, only looking out for themselves

Alright, I'll clear my mind of preconceived bad ideas... one... two...

... will someone get Bif away from the emergency meeting button, pretty please? Can't hear myself thinking, here.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

b-minus1 posted:

Hi everyone. Im throwing a party at my house tonight. Be sure to stop by

... are you a sentinent hivemind multiple-personality synthetic alien race being who will copy everything you see again, or are you just asking around?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

Shell don't let me down!

I... will try not to? But please try not to be scum this time, I don't want to die :(

(not sure about English right now, but Spanish has a saying "no hay dos sin tres" which roughly can be translated as "no two without its three". It means that if you get something happening twice, it'd probably happen a third time too. Like me trusting Mae when she ends up being scum)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Anyway, new game, new leaf. I will try and get better reads this time :eng101:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Mr. Humalong posted:

Or as merk/ilmucche would say “Mai due senza tre”

Yeah, that's it too. Didn't knew italians also had the same saying! I am learning language things in a mafia game, this is neat.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Votecounter thingy keeps ignoring my pronouns it seems, so if anyone cares about being precise, I am a she/her (will also go by "She'll" if you are posting within the reach of a particularly punctillous grammar corrector). I do not really care much if you call me anything else, either, so don't sweat it.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

CirclMastr posted:

I'm just here so I won't get fined.

This guy is just here so they won't get fined. Please, whoever is out there, stop tring to fine players. They just won a game, surely we can do without that much pressure on them.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Tempted to start another round of mason, cop, vig, but at this point I just feel like that person at a party that insists on playing a particularly confusing board game when everyone else just wants to be drunk in peace.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

What do your prior experiences tell you about how well this is going to work

I got a lot of WTFs when I told people I came around him N1 on Stellaris. Nothing happened to me, I guess he got the watch power I used up, but it was a waste of time.

If he wants visitors we'd need a better argument, though.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

In Stellaris we at least could figure out what he was getting out of it, here it's unknown so I'll probably pass.

But you also just asked for company? I am a tad drunk ATM so forgive me for missing any nuances there. I just want to know who to spend the night with, lots of lonely nights in... well, wherever we are.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Grandicap posted:

Rhode Island Shell. We are in Rhode Island.

Right, there. Well, there are apparently a whole lot of lonely people around here.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Oh poo poo it started. I've been asleep! And now I'm at work. Um... Hi there, first time listener first time caller. My name is Deadmeat and I'm an... wait wrong meeting.

Sir, this is a futuristic, robotic, space McDonald's drive thru.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

It's kinda like a human centipede situation but less gross :D I'm also hoping this isn't Scumception talking, if so I don't need your company thank you very much.

Also :cheers: hopefully I'll be feeling good a bit later myself.

People keep wanting to meet Scumception. I suppose it'll end up happening eventually, and I am sure I will manage to suicide D1 and disappoint everyone, lol.

... I do trust your powers more than Binus', but the human centipede thing is not helping to make it any more inviting :stonk:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

I'm here, munching on those sweet sweet originum rocks, porch posting.

Enjoy your porch!

Also noting that I'll be away all day tomorrow, so if I post considerably less, it is that. I will be back way before seriousposting starts at this rate, though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I woke up to someone posting haikus written like they're GLaDOS on a bad day. That a gimmick? Huh.

I hope it's a scumclaim, but it seems way too obvious for it to be that. A Jester?

If it is a gimmick, gotta say I admire it, tho.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Do people really claim scum day 1?

That's what is making me really really wary of taking that thing as a claim.

It also sounds very Serial Killer, but also, neither of the SKs who offed me last two games had the decency to come around and yell "gonna kill you alllllll" D1. And a SK needs to live to endgame to win, so what gives?

Maybe some thing where we need to cooperate with scum to kill a 3p? Can that be a thing?

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

My scumbro used to scumclaim every D1 just for good luck lol

That sounds like it'd work actually, scumclaim in the middle of the D1 shitpost and then get yourself dismissed as "nah too easy". I kinda like that idea, lol.

Bifauxnen posted:

Maybe he's just REALLY into whatever flavour that is? I'm curious to see if some votes shake his resolve or if he's gonna fully go down with the ship here

Mmm. Probably worth a try. How many people have died by casting a vote, anyway?

##vote Ignatius

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

The only other thing I can try to read for now is Binus' (and Mae's?) invitation. Tbh, I am a bit wary of ScumBinus readings early on, because he tends to play the first days in a way that always pings me, but last time he tried that shenanigan, he was town. Maybe now he is a PGO or something, but as someone said in the other game, that would just be hilarious to see (probably not to experiment, hah).

Mae for now looking as townie as she always does to me, so I am not going to say I am a good indicator. Surprised she'd be so proactive to ask for night actions to go her way, but I trust her for now, tbh. Will probably reevaluate both those reads after N1.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

t a s t e posted:

If it isn’t on our it might be on epic mafia’s

Watch out for the info on other Mafia wikis, though. My first game the wiki died. Someone rolled town Gunsmith, didn't know what that was, checked another available place, and came out with the wrong info, so they basically believed themselves (and made everyone believe) that they were a sane cop for all the game.

Then they caught 2 out of 3 scum singlehandedly, one of them without ever investigating them.

Which I want to say is, if you are going to get confused by other info, do it the epic way.

(no, really, check whatever source you need, but if in doubt, don't be afraid to ask for info in the thread too)

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Nep-Nep posted:

I don't like this, Shell slowly works up to whether or not to vote for Ignatius over the course of these posts, but I don't think shell comes off as "really really wary" when there doesn't seem to be any examination of the three votes on Ignatius that came before. If you're concerned about whether or not Ignatius is scumclaiming, before becoming the 4th vote I'd expect to see some indication that you're questioning the other 3 votes, wondering if you're just getting on a bad bandwagon or something.

##vote shell

Huh. I understand what this is coming from, but there's not much more to it that what I said. I am not sure of this is a scumclaim, tbh I am not sure what it is at all. But it is a really strange gimmick, and me doubting that it is a scumclaim doesn't mean I don't think something very odd is going on. I think pressure here is warrabted. If that makes me look scummy, can't help

I am not questioning the votes because tbh, I expect the person coming on saying they'll kill someone will get voted.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Bifauxnen posted:

When is the last time anyone in SA Mafia actually used a jester

I think that role might be even more hated than death miller

No idea. Fifth game here. I have seen the suggestion thrown around, though.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Nep-Nep posted:

What's pressure gonna accomplish, if Ignatius turns around and says "gotcha I am town" then what

I think there are a variety of responses that can happen between "haha I was town the whole time" and "I will kill you all".

I also suppose whatever they're on, if it's not gimmick posting, will happen at night (maybe that's a big assumption on my part, though, but I really am lost here). So there is plenty of time left to decide. We are by no way nearing the lunch.

I stand by what I said. If that's a D1 scumclaim, it is a very bold one. If it is someone who has overextended while doing a bit, I think the way they can be persuaded to stop and give us some kind of "don't lunch, town" warning is to pile some votes there. If they keep the "I am going to kill you all" theme, I am fine with voting them out, whatever they may be.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Hey, I am reading everything but I can't really help much right now. I said that on Ecco's game too, I am away for the day visiting a friend who had a baby and baby cries aren't really conductive to calm and collected analysis. I will read everything in a few hours when I get on the train back home and actually have a bit of silence.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Into the train now, will re-read now and try to post something coherent. I am very tired, tho, so feel free to call me out if poo poo doesn't make sense.

Maerlyn posted:

I'm getting some scummy vibes from Sand but I'll try to put that together later - it's my wedding anniversary so hopefully I'll be out and about today (plus weekend etc).

I'm just going to say, happy aniversary and enjoy your celebrations a lot :cheers:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Bleh. Re-read and I still think there's just a lot of noisy D1 content and not much to hold on. I will try to sketch some thoughts here anyway.

Also, if my other posts today are any indication, expect those to contain a lot of typos. I am dead tired and my English sometimes slips a bit.

Bifauxnen posted:

Even if you want to totally abstain to think a while longer... if we get close to deadline and still haven't reached a consensus, it's helpful to add your vote to the leader to help get them lunched even if you have no confidence in the case. Going a day without even taking a shot at lunching scum, without getting a flip to start going on, is usually pretty bad for town.

Bif has had a lot of vote-swinging around, but that is hardly a condemning thing so early in D1. This post here especially reading like she's giving very solid advice. I don't even recall getting told that when I started, it seems contraproducent for a newbie, and I did struggle a lot when lunching came to a head. She feels pretty solidly townie to me for now.

Mr. Humalong posted:

Obama is scum, no one genuinely interested in finding scum passes over everything else posted to try and drop a tepid gotcha.

OA and Hum's fight doesn't really tell me anything. This, however, does actually feel weirdly pushing. OA's being very vague on his posting, but his other read was on IMM which, to be fair, was doing that odd gimmick thing. What, exactly, is that "everything else" that OA passed over? That's worded like they skipped some big thing, which just isn't there, I think.

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’m on mobile but he voted mod-confirmed town. If that’s not enough of a scum claim idk what to say.

Huh, what? This feels very oddly worded. I think it is a joke based on their role PM, but one that also seems worded to confuse newbies and people who isn't paying attention.

Toalpaz posted:

No never role claim

Oh you're meteorite or Kroose or plat or Faust or achidenidle or firewatch

"Never role claim" followed by what looks like really blatant flavor-fishing? This has gotten a bit overlooked, but it doesn't look so good. Toal is otherwise doing their usual chaotic posting, I don't know from where their vote on Bif came either, but that I think I can overlook for now.

I feel like we get some lurkers too, but it is still early-mid D1, so let's see if they appear. Lurker lunching is not my favourite option, tbh. OA and Plastic in particular I'd like to hear a bit more from, they usually have good reads.

Will skip the IMM stuff, I already said all I can think of that earlier, and they've not appeared at all today. I am keeping my vote there for now, until that issue gets a bit clearer. We are still at 30+ hours from deadline and at three votes they're not getting rushed at all, so there's plenty of time for more poo poo to happen.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Sandwolf posted:

Someone fine this person

Sand I skipped but this made me laugh, well done.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Toalpaz posted:

It's not really role fishing when the person in question claims they're a bower and I list bowers because I like and play the game every day.

It still reads like a trick to try and get them to tell you a name. I know next to nothing about Arknights, so I am not sure how useful knowing flavor would be to you.

Toalpaz posted:

:cool: I think it was when I caught scum red handed in USSR mafia by playing a trick on them d2.

That was a great gambit, yeah. Gotta give what I gotta give.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Maerlyn posted:

Why'd you skip Sand?

(We may be thinking along the same lines but I'll see how you answer).

Boring, bad answer is that is was late and I was tired and Sand hasn't done that much if anything, so I didn't check him. When he posted after me I was like "uh, guess you are there too", then "uh, that was a good joke". So there's nothing much to analyze here, honestly.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

code:
will of course allow time
town to discuss best use
48 hours max
so town can "lunch" someone after

Hahahahahaha ok, this is a good answer. Figuring this out was impossible, but I liked the gimmick anyway, it's just... well you came in saying you wanted to kill everyone, that's kind of a red flag.

So, uh, what do we do here? I understand that by lunching them, we get a "safe" flip (pretty safe to assume town, at this point), we get them to be unkillable come next night, and we get a vig next day. May have missed something here.

On one hand, if nothing else it's a free extra vig for town, but on the other, it is a flip that won't probably give us much info, if at all. I am up to whatever you all prefer in this case, tbh.

Also mad respect for pulling this gimmick on your fourth game, I am still learning the drat ropes here and it is technically mi fifth, lol.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

ObamaAkbar. posted:

So meen actually wanted to be lunched? Lmao

But thinking they could be a jester was apparently scummy :colbert:

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Shellception posted:

On one hand, if nothing else it's a free extra vig for town, but on the other, it is a flip that won't probably give us much info, if at all. I am up to whatever you all prefer in this case, tbh.

Now that I am more awake, as far as I see this, the question is "do we want to trade a flip for a dayvig?".

I am leaning towards "no" to be honest, unless we really have no one to lunch, and it doesn't seem to be the case at all. Votes can be influenced by scum, but the vig is pretty much at the whim of the vig-haver. If that past game taught me anything is that that can have wildly varying results. And well, I have still never seen a vig hit scum, so I am pretty eh on them.

I will keep my past vote in there for a bit more time just in case the rest have a different idea, this is a wild mechanic and I want to hear other opinions, just in case I am missing anything here. But tbh I am not sold on it right now.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Nep-Nep posted:

Supposing everything claimed was true, there are all sorts of ways Ignatius could be not town. For example, what if there was a scum with a 1x lunchproof that would get a powerup upon using it? Or the powerup is a bluff and the goal is to come back and say "well I don't want to use it yet" and that avoids suspicion for awhile? That assumption is not good.

Well, if you think so, we can flip him and learn if he's scum? Or do you think they are going to be scum, be lunchproof, not flipping and also getting a boon from being lunched?

I am not sure where you want to go with this. I didn't think they were scumclaiming, that seemed too much of a clear gimmick, but I thought something was amiss so they got my vote. They came in, explained what was amiss. I do believe them, because it is an explanation which fits what I originally thought - not scum, but wanting to look like a vote target for some reason.

There is a choice to be made here - we can believe the player who came in yelling about being a killing machine is scum and wanting to be lunched in order to gain some benefit for the scumteam, or we can believe they're town, and wanting to be lunched in order to gain some benefit for town, or for themselves. If you have the key to discern which one of those choices is right, I am all ears, but for now, I am taking them at face value.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

We can also just ignore IMM and not lunch them, which given the possibilities might be the best thing to do.

If they are scum, flipping or not, they have a reason to want lunching for a reason they won't want to share, but probably not good for town.

If they are town and everything is as they said, they will get a vig in exchange for a missing lunch (well, I guess we'd learn what they are, so probably not missed in that sense, just missed in that we won't be hitting scum if we do). I am inclined to trust the vote more than a vig, which was what I wanted feedback on on the first place. But, yeah, if we are not even trusting them to be town, then the choice is much clearer.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Nep-Nep posted:

I think there's merit to what you said but it really rubs me the wrong way the way you said it's a reasonably safe assumption that Ignatius is town. What to do about Ignatius can be dealt with later imo

"Reasonably safe" is just my appreciation, but tbh, yeah, I probably took what they said way too much at face value. So you are right in that count, I'll admit to being a naive fool who trusts people too much in a killgame.

I have also never played with IMM, but I did like their gimmick a lot and I think they're real good to pull that off in their fourth game, lol.

##unvote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Nep-Nep posted:

Who do you think is scum

At this point, hell if I know. Would make things easier if I had a good read on someone, but we have at least three people (Sand, Taste and Plastic) who have just not posted much. Two others are gimmickposting. And I will not presume to be able to read Binus at this point (or ever), he is a bit all over the place as always on D1. The "confirmed town" thing they pulled on Hum plays on Hum's claim, but that's so flimsy of an evidence it's not worth looking at.

From people who are contributing, the OA-Humalong mess makes me think they are not scumbuddies. Mae has a couple points on OA's posting, but tbh, Huma looks to me like the scummiest of the two, as I said earlier. I also did not like Toal's flavorfishing, but as they said, they might just have been listing ranged characters or whatever, so it's just sort of a weird ping. The rest seem to me like they're playing more or less straight, if there's anything in there it should became clearer later. So yeah, a bunch of not much.