Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

DoomTrainPhD posted:

When I update Linux I click on the update button and 5 minutes later everything is updated. MacOS and Windows both fail terribly at update times.
Yeah, but all you have afterward is Linux. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Presto posted:

Yeah, but all you have afterward is Linux. :shrug:

Linux makes me the figgies so it's not all bad.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/aloria/status/1475480473929502726

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i bought a windows 10 pro license from a guy off taobao for $1.38. works perfectly.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

akadajet posted:

those rounded corners make everything better

I kept bumping into the square corners and it really hurt.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's pretty annoying how increasingly insistent Microsoft is getting about wanting you to use a Microsoft account to set up the os at all, even with the pro version

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
It's really annoying how the only vaguely usable general purpose OS continues to circle the drain. Honestly, I was vaguely hopeful that MS would pull their head out of their rear end after 8, but someone once again got a boner for touch on the desktop and here we are.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, whoever is authoring search for Windows better be unemployed at this point.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Fabricated posted:

It's pretty annoying how increasingly insistent Microsoft is getting about wanting you to use a Microsoft account to set up the os at all, even with the pro version

it's the wonderful intersection of driving service revenue and enforced user hand-holding that ensures that using your computer will be as tedious as humanly possible.

at this point you may as well install gentoo because it's the only way you're going to escape endless wizards and guides and first-runs that drag you through sign ups for services you don't want

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it sucks that the only vaguely good desktop os and the only vaguely good mobile os won't play nicely with one another.

i'm good and sick of android and thiiiiis close to getting an iphone and i just wish there was an imessage app, or equivalent way of seeing texts on my computer, for windows.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it sucks that the only vaguely good desktop os and the only vaguely good mobile os won't play nicely with one another.

i'm good and sick of android and thiiiiis close to getting an iphone and i just wish there was an imessage app, or equivalent way of seeing texts on my computer, for windows.

text messages from android on a computer has been available for years now?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

but ios and macos work together perfectly :confused:

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

I basically only interface with my phone through Google Voice these days. I use my phone as a phone as little as possible and facilitate as much work as possible through my desktop. Phones loving suck at literally everything.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

LastInLine posted:

text messages from android on a computer has been available for years now?

yes, but i want text messages from iphone on a windows computer.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Phones loving suck at literally everything.

absolutely agree and if i were to get an iphone it'd be the mini, because i want phone to disappear.

but everyone i talk to uses some different communications channel and it drives me insane. some regular sms. some hangouts hangers-on. some discord. some slack. a bunch of whatsapp. several who only do instagram group chats. every one of those is really meant for one channel or another, like whatsapp sucks on a computer and discord/slack suck on a phone. but i have to use all of them anyway if i want to talk to people.

god i miss the days of XMPP.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 28, 2021

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
When I was treasurer for a non-profit (16 hr/month.. unpaid executive staff!), I was given a license of windows 10 workstation via the non-profit license grant. My PC didn't need it (r5 3600 lol), the tech soup guy just chose it at random between pro, workstation, and N. Anyone know whats going to happen license wise if I try upgrading it to 11? I really prefer working with a local account for... reasons but I can just buy a home license if I need to.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
don’t ruin a perfectly good computer by putting windows 11 on it

if it’s like win 10 it literally won’t matter if the license gets borked - it will just have a sad little watermark in the bottom corner and won’t let you set wallpapers or something

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Well.. I don't really want to have to fix grub so i'll just leave it. I think it will activate - just didn't know to what (pro, pro workstation, etc).

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
finally it's time to upgrade

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

because notepad now has worse styling?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

because notepad now has worse styling?
yes

(i can't believe they're still slowly rolling out dark mode lol)

TwoDice
Feb 11, 2005
Not one, two.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

https://www.beeper.com/ is what i use but it is paid and weird

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

SYSV Fanfic posted:

When I was treasurer for a non-profit (16 hr/month.. unpaid executive staff!), I was given a license of windows 10 workstation via the non-profit license grant. My PC didn't need it (r5 3600 lol), the tech soup guy just chose it at random between pro, workstation, and N. Anyone know whats going to happen license wise if I try upgrading it to 11? I really prefer working with a local account for... reasons but I can just buy a home license if I need to.

it will "just work" if you do an upgrade or use the license key to activate after install. as long as it's pro/workstation you have the option of saying you're adding the machine to a domain during the first-run, so you don't have to sign in with a microsoft account. once you've signed in you need to go into notification settings and disable basically everything or it may decide to hijack the system at login after a while and insist that you create a microsoft account (since you're not actually joined to a domain)

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i finally got a computer upgraded to windows 11 and all i can say is what fresh hell is this

fortunately it didn't take long to find openshell and explorerpatcher via http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8580
and from there it seems like people decided just fixing the windows 11 bullshit wasn't enough, they want revenge

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/discussions/167

:pt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

r u ready to WALK posted:

i finally got a computer upgraded to windows 11 and all i can say is what fresh hell is this

fortunately it didn't take long to find openshell and explorerpatcher via http://www.classicshell.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=8580
and from there it seems like people decided just fixing the windows 11 bullshit wasn't enough, they want revenge

https://github.com/valinet/ExplorerPatcher/discussions/167

:pt:

I’m the multiple shortcuts to angry birds