Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

It's out, allegedly. Another POS OS to whine about. Not showing up in Windows update. I can't wait to move my taskbar back to the left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

it looks like poo poo op

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

It looks like, just like with Windows 10, it will be completely free software. That's good to know.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
get back to me when there’s a windows 12

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

It looks like, just like with every version of Windows ever, it will be completely free software. That's good to know.

:colbert:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

It looks like, just like with Windows 10, it will be completely free software. That's good to know.

fckgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAkuJXGldrM

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

these videos always make me self-conscious about my nerd-neck

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

gonna install this trash on my dell laptop, as it is the only machine I have that meets the ridiculous min specs, and also has been sitting almost completely unused since I got an M1 macbook. wish me luck :shrek:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

will it run on my 2014 chomebook?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

no, you need an 8th gen core cpu or better for reasons that definitely aren’t a bribe from intel

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
good news, op

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
winblows

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maAFcEU6atk

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

PyPy posted:

winblows

excuse me, the full name is mikkkro$haft winblows

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
windows 11 reminds me of the nyc wtc. hopefully it collapses on itself as well.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

im hoping its more like the dallas wtc: a horrifying monstrosity you pass in the interstate and try not to think about

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

im hoping its more like the dallas wtc: a horrifying monstrosity you pass in the interstate and try not to think about

as a Dallas native, I feel this

Battlevader
Nov 17, 2017

Will Windows 11 be thinner than Windows X ? And more cameras ?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

"as we get it ready for you". good thing Microsoft doesn't own a massive cloud infrastructure to distribute this to everyone at once. or are they not confident in their own product? :thunk:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

akadajet posted:

"as we get it ready for you". good thing Microsoft doesn't own a massive cloud infrastructure to distribute this to everyone at once. or are they not confident in their own product? :thunk:

I think it means that they are baking it to order so it will be nice and fresh for my computer

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Battlevader posted:

Will Windows 11 be thinner than Windows X ? And more cameras ?

only if you get the pro edition

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

akadajet posted:

I can't wait to move my taskbar back to the left.

lol learning what you meant by this and figuring out how to implement it was the first thing I did in windows 11. Seems like a pretty boring upgrade, nothing obviously broken except that right clicking in explorer takes like two seconds for no discernible reason

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am probably the only person on the planet who used the start menu tiles

can someone confirm if you can still do this? rearrange the pinned things in the order you want and group them? it looks like now it's just a scrolling list like phone app drawer and that would suck.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
lmfao. the "back" button in the settings panel is now identical to the browser back button

Sagebrush posted:

i am probably the only person on the planet who used the start menu tiles

can someone confirm if you can still do this? rearrange the pinned things in the order you want and group them? it looks like now it's just a scrolling list like phone app drawer and that would suck.

afaict, no. you can move pinned apps around in order but you can't locate them arbitrarily, probably because live tiles are no longer a thing

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 6, 2021

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Microsoft Windows 2

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the end functionality of windows is excellent

the UI is such a garbled mess

does anyone even work there?

why can’t windows create like “new windows” and it’s basically 64bit only and start fresh with poo poo and legacy windows that costs loads and it’s just XP with security updates forever

parallel windows.

One Person
has
One Vision
using
Two Eyes
needing
Two Windows

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

I don't have tpm enabled so I'm safe from this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

echinopsis posted:

why can’t windows create like “new windows” and it’s basically 64bit only and start fresh with poo poo and legacy windows that costs loads and it’s just XP with security updates forever

because they do in fact keep doing this and it keeps failing because no one wants windows that doesn't run all their software. you can go install windows S today if you're sick of using your computer to actually do things

weirdly, no one does.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

why does it look like kde?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

AnimeIsTrash posted:

why does it look like kde?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KdlJlHAAbQ

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

infernal machines posted:

because they do in fact keep doing this and it keeps failing because no one wants windows that doesn't run all their software. you can go install windows S today if you're sick of using your computer to actually do things

weirdly, no one does.

yosposters hate windows s but they won’t shut up about the iphone s(e) even tho they are both bad versions of the real thing

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

suggesting that legacy code and compatibility is bad for unclear reasons is a nerd pastime that never goes out of style, when the marginal cost of keeping support for the most part only exists in programmers and very anal peoples heads. not to mention the broader clean rewrite, which keeps ruining companies and turning out horrible for both consumers and third party developers, but somehow is forever the wet dream of every nerd with no stake in anything.

even more notable actually since every complaint about windows 11 up to echi's post correctly complains about them having changed things pointlessly and for the worse

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i might gently caress around and install it this weekend

idk

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i put it on my laptop, with a minor compatibility hack since it's running a 5th gen core CPU.

it's fine. they shuffled things around a bit but so far nothing's egregiously bad except putting the wifi selection behind a second menu and completely burying vpn connections. the setting panel is actually better although search in settings doesn't appear to work at all

the start menu is mildly annoying since i never used pinned apps there but now there's no way to have it just go directly to all apps. if you're like sagebrush and had an actual start layout, you probably will not like it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

having used it for some time already i at least struggle to think of a single way in which they have *improved* the task bar and start menu. even if you didn't like the tiles you could just ignore them, now though you still have a grid of random apps you wont bother maintain, but the list of all apps is buried another click down for no good reason.

but, i mean, it is mostly some small ui tweaks for windows 10 then named 11. the biggest thing for me, and probably a yosposter here or there, is the wayland+pulseaudio-based built-in graphics and sound for wsl (and even cuda), very convenient stuff.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

looks bad , time to stick to 7 for even longer

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

it looks like poo poo op

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Using Windows 10 today for work. It’s a bad operating system.

Excited to switch to Windows 11 and use that bad operating system, also.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
serious question, what improvements are there in this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the settings are a more organized, thats it every thing else is a regression