Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

is it true that the task bar can't be moved to the side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

is it true that the task bar can't be moved to the side

yeah, but there's no reason to do that so :shrug:

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

yeah, but there's no reason to do that so :shrug:

on ultrawide monitors an horizontal task bar is a huge waste of space

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Zlodo posted:

on ultrawide monitors an horizontal task bar is a huge waste of space

I'm sure stardock will make something for people who really care about non-standard layouts

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Oh no! My 20 pixels! :rolleyes:

Taskbar on the bottom and never combine icons.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

my IT dept scrambled yesterday to make an intune script to limit the max version of windows as if they didn't have a head start on that lol

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Taskbar on the bottom and never combine icons.

isn’t the bolded part impossible in windows 11?

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fortunately all of my windows installs mysteriously stop receiving feature updates at some point so I will not be forcefully upgraded to windows 11

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

so actual non-ironic list of improvements you may notice in 11:

settings cleaned up a bit more
graphics/gpu and audio natively in wsl
"snap groups" window management actually pretty nice
kind of looks worse but more use of colour winds up feeling more legible anyway
not seen yet but may actually be a real convenience: background updates applied with a single quick reboot

i find the regressions more annoying than i find the new stuff nice, with the exception of the wsl improvements (which are pretty niche). summary: :geno:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the new start menu looks like some ios/android bullshit.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

fortunately all of my windows installs mysteriously stop receiving feature updates at some point so I will not be forcefully upgraded to windows 11

that happens if you're running a pirated version of windows, which is difficult to do considering windows is free software

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it also looks super crappy when you have an already very horizontally stretched form factor being reduced in height for no good reason

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

akadajet posted:

that happens if you're running a pirated version of windows, which is difficult to do considering windows is free software

I buy windows 10 keys from the epic dude in sa mart who sells cheap keys. I think windows update just sucks rear end and the missing files and settings error is so vague as to be useless

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also, and most fundamentally, it is a pointless regression.

the only reason i can think of why they decided to badly reimplement the task bar is because of the teams integration no one wanted. where maybe the old task bar for one reason or another couldn't host a full instance of electron inside it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

I buy windows 10 keys from the epic dude in sa mart who sells cheap keys.

Yeah, there is no way those are legitimate. Do you also buy rolexes from street vendors?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

at some point you had to have paid for it though

i guess you could install 7, activate it with the bios slic certificate method, then just upgrade from there if you are a real cheapskate

Jenny Agutter posted:

I buy windows 10 keys from the epic dude in sa mart who sells cheap keys. I think windows update just sucks rear end and the missing files and settings error is so vague as to be useless

where do those come from anyways? do people just generate them from their organization's site license, or are they buying keys from regions where they might be discounted due to heavy piracy and reselling them?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The_Franz posted:

where do those come from anyways? do people just generate them from their organization's site license, or are they buying keys from regions where they might be discounted due to heavy piracy and reselling them?

75% of the rebate comes from buying them in a region where the license is cheap (the price range is huge globally), another 50% from doing money laundering in the process. so they are usually perfectly genuine retail keys.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

akadajet posted:

Yeah, there is no way those are legitimate. Do you also buy rolexes from street vendors?

are you implying a goon would cheat a fellow goon in a sacred sa-mart transaction? mods??

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

also the implication that the windows update service is infallible is prima facie ludicrous

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

The_Franz posted:

at some point you had to have paid for it though

i guess you could install 7, activate it with the bios slic certificate method, then just upgrade from there if you are a real cheapskate

ripped off educational licenses or msdn keys and stuff like that. the keys might technically work, but it’s not a real license

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I have a retail license I bought on new egg

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
who is buying so many windows licenses for themself that they have to dig for shady discounts?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I have a retail license I bought on new egg

me too lol. got a fancy holofoil windows 7 cd and everything

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless
Man, I miss the perk of my old job with my MSDN access.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just poppin in to mention that win2k was the best windows, ok see ya

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

of course it's a real license. msdn (or whatever they're calling it now) keys are perfectly legitimate keys. i've bought all my windows keys from that sa-mart guy and they've always validated fine and everything

i guess some marketing drone at microsoft might not consider it a ~real license~ because someone somewhere violated the license agreement. but who gives a gently caress

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
cannot believe they released a new windows

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

how many windows will it take? when will there be enough windowses?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

of course it's a real license. msdn (or whatever they're calling it now) keys are perfectly legitimate keys. i've bought all my windows keys from that sa-mart guy and they've always validated fine and everything

i guess some marketing drone at microsoft might not consider it a ~real license~ because someone somewhere violated the license agreement. but who gives a gently caress

reported for promoting software piracy. how’s it feel to be a common thief?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's also shitloads of keys floating around from end-of-lease and surplussed hardware that will still activate fine, so if you have access to an e-waste facility you can get them easily

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

how many windows will it take? when will there be enough windowses?

there are already far too many because

rotor posted:

win2k was the best windows, ok see ya

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

infernal machines posted:

there are already far too many because

no no, 1989 more and we'll be back at the best

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

no no, 1989 more and we'll be back at the best

oof, he's right.

ok fellas, we got some work to do.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

it figures that windows users are still talking about the antiquated taskbar workflow in 2021

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

The_Franz posted:

it figures that windows users are still talking about the antiquated taskbar workflow in 2021

launchy ran just fine on win2k

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Soiled Meat
what was that one goon bar program

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm probably done with Windows when they make it so you flat out cannot use it without using a Microsoft account

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i'm totally fine with having a microsoft account. i think they are one of the most benign of all the big tech companies.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I'm probably done with Windows when they make it so you flat out cannot use it without using a Microsoft account

well don't get a non-pro sku because home edition now requires a microsoft account in windows 11. windows 11 pro doesn't but i don't know how much of a pain in the rear end they make it to use a local account on a fresh install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

1 + 1 = window